TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
of course! but some firms have a pro bono secondment now which is interesting
You have to tread carefully even when they do have these great opportunities.

1) A trainee pro bono secondment is unlikely to be helping people directly. You will be helping the corporate entity behind the charity. The work you will be doing will feel very “corporate” - the work an in house lawyer does for a charity like Oxfam or Shelter will not be like helping people in a law clinic who don’t have access to legal advice. The only real difference in many instances to a fee paying international client and a pro bono client is that one is not paying for the service!

2) Pro bono should be seen like an extra curricular. Yes, some firms will ensure you get pro bono work whether via your billable time or through CSR initiatives, but it’s not going to be a decent chunk of your work and not enough to keep you motivated if that is a main criteria for you.

3) A reasonable proportion of your work as a corporate lawyer could be working against the principles many pro bono initiatives are set out to address. Your project finance matters could devastate/displace local communities; your oil client could be asking you to protect their interests after an oil spill; your restructuring work could lead to making thousands of people redundant; your tobacco client could be asking you to find ways to get around regulations that will ultimately lead to people getting ill from using their products. You are ultimately creating profit and although things like ESG are increasing, a lot of what you do will be driven by money and profits rather than the greater good. There is a risk that if your focus is on pro bono, people could question whether you are truly going to be motivated in an environment where a lot of the work you are doing is not always for society’s benefit.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Are we referring to NEP then? Must have misunderstood the question!
Yeah and I mean PEP is also a dodgy measure cause a firm can have £2m PEP but newly-made partners will still be in six figures while senior rainmakers might pull £4+ - one of Kirkland's top guys in 2018 was on £7m, which is probably closer to £10m now

Reactions: TC fiend

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
@FS Yes, non-equity partner (NEP) was what I was referring to; not PEP - equity partners are completely different from salaried partners.

@Rob93 I would be inclined to agree for a UK firm, like CMS, it would be +/- £20k of the £200k mark as a base salary.

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    You have to tread carefully even when they do have these great opportunities.

1) A trainee pro bono secondment is unlikely to be helping people directly. You will be helping the corporate entity behind the charity. The work you will be doing will feel very “corporate” - the work an in house lawyer does for a charity like Oxfam or Shelter will not be like helping people in a law clinic who don’t have access to legal advice. The only real difference in many instances to a fee paying international client and a pro bono client is that one is not paying for the service!

2) Pro bono should be seen like an extra curricular. Yes, some firms will ensure you get pro bono work whether via your billable time or through CSR initiatives, but it’s not going to be a decent chunk of your work and not enough to keep you motivated if that is a main criteria for you.

3) A reasonable proportion of your work as a corporate lawyer could be working against the principles many pro bono initiatives are set out to address. Your project finance matters could devastate/displace local communities; your oil client could be asking you to protect their interests after an oil spill; your restructuring work could lead to making thousands of people redundant; your tobacco client could be asking you to find ways to get around regulations that will ultimately lead to people getting ill from using their products. You are ultimately creating profit and although things like ESG are increasing, a lot of what you do will be driven by money and profits rather than the greater good. There is a risk that if your focus is on pro bono, people could question whether you are truly going to be motivated in an environment where a lot of the work you are doing is not always for society’s benefit.
    In light of this, would you advise against citing your desire to positively impact society as a motivation to become a solicitor in application forms and interviews?

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2020
    In light of this, would you advise against citing your desire to positively impact society as a motivation to become a solicitor in application forms and interviews?
    I think it depends how it’s framed. I’ve always been told to avoid saying phrases which are exactly like that but for example, when talking about the work some law firms do in emerging markets, it might be relevant to talk about how investment and PF often does help these nations? I think it’s just knowing that ultimately corp law isn’t really the *good* guys and that you don’t go into it if you want to become the next biggest societal advocate if that makes sense?

Reactions: LawfulRust00

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    Don't suppose anyone knows whether BCLP sends ACs on a rolling basis? I have a choice between a date next week or the week after for the VI and I'd ideally like to choose the week after slot but I'm slightly worried I'll be putting myself at a disadvantage.

Reactions: GXA123

User274302

Star Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    Does anyone have any experience with Vantage where the 'work experience' section has gone missing? I filled out all the sections for it yesterday and ready to submit today, but looking at my app now, there's no work experience section?

Samir_O

Legendary Member
    Oct 5, 2021
    Considering people have already started to hear back on offers post AC, is it safe to say that ive got a pfo since i havent even heard back post WG (eek)? I did email a while ago checking in but got told still reviewing applications etc etc - do DLA send pfos much later on?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Does anyone have any experience with Vantage where the 'work experience' section has gone missing? I filled out all the sections for it yesterday and ready to submit today, but looking at my app now, there's no work experience section?
    Apparently my entire undergraduate section disappeared after sending my app.

• Sad
    Reactions: George Maxwell

kat_

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 14, 2020
    I can't really help, but the same thing happened to me. I sent it without checking the section and all my work experience disappeared.

User274302

Star Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    I can't really help, but the same thing happened to me. I sent it without checking the section and all my work experience disappeared.
    Apparently my entire undergraduate section disappeared after sending my app.

these are horrible im so sorry. Vantage needs to sort this out because candidates missing out because of a technical error on their part is beyond unfair.

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    Reactions: GXA123

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Did you reach out to the firm and explain? Not really sure what to do tbh @Jessica Booker do you have any advice?
    Hey, it is very likely that the firm will get in touch with you as Dentons did with me. Alternatively, personally, I would get in touch with the firm and explain the situation. It is not your fault, it is a technical issue.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.