TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In light of this, would you advise against citing your desire to positively impact society as a motivation to become a solicitor in application forms and interviews?
I see it enough to know it can work.

However, when it does work, it typically has balance with other aspects of their application and/or an understanding that this isn’t always the case. More successful candidates explain also what they mean by positively impacting society (which in itself is a very broad/vague statement).

Many times when it is just this broad statement it just comes across a slightly naive. It sounds brutal, but as a corporate lawyer you will not always be doing a lot of “good” for society as a whole - in fact you could be doing the complete opposite to protect shareholders interests and profits.

I know at one firm, when candidates did cite it in their application they used to be grilled on their views on how they would feel about working for a major tobacco company or an oil giant, or working on a dam project that might lead to the local environment being flooded and the local people being displaced.

Remember how people define “positively impacting society” is going to be different to person to person.

M991

Distinguished Member
Mar 14, 2020
Does anyone have any experience with Vantage where the 'work experience' section has gone missing? I filled out all the sections for it yesterday and ready to submit today, but looking at my app now, there's no work experience section?
The same thing happened to a few months ago, so I reached out to Vantage (as the law firm would have to reached out to Vantage on your behalf to get it fixed) and they "withdrew" my application, so I could resubmit it.

User274302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2021
The same thing happened to a few months ago, so I reached out to Vantage (as the law firm would have to reached out to Vantage on your behalf to get it fixed) and they "withdrew" my application, so I could resubmit it.
Thanks. How did you get in contact with Vantage? I haven't submitted it yet thankfully, but would be good to check with them if they can fix it so I can submit sooner rather than later.

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    I see it enough to know it can work.

However, when it does work, it typically has balance with other aspects of their application and/or an understanding that this isn’t always the case. More successful candidates explain also what they mean by positively impacting society (which in itself is a very broad/vague statement).

Many times when it is just this broad statement it just comes across a slightly naive. It sounds brutal, but as a corporate lawyer you will not always be doing a lot of “good” for society as a whole - in fact you could be doing the complete opposite to protect shareholders interests and profits.

I know at one firm, when candidates did cite it in their application they used to be grilled on their views on how they would feel about working for a major tobacco company or an oil giant, or working on a dam project that might lead to the local environment being flooded and the local people being displaced.

Remember how people define “positively impacting society” is going to be different to person to person.
    In response to this, what would one say to avoid sounding like a heartless individual (when they ask how we would feel when working with a major tobacco company for example)?

Could these be fine?
    (1) the economy is heavily reliant on the progression of the private sector;​
    (2)lawyers can support that whilst also nudging their clients to be more attentive to responding to various environmental/ social risks and be involved within the transformation of businesses​
    (3) the basis of law is that everyone should have legal representation​

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rob93

rose0904

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 6, 2021
    How do you differentiate between the questions 'why this firm' and 'what makes this firm stand out'? I find that my answers to the second are largely the things I'd say for the first so it's hard to make them different answers

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    How do you differentiate between the questions 'why this firm' and 'what makes this firm stand out'? I find that my answers to the second are largely the things I'd say for the first so it's hard to make them different answers
    For 'why this firm', it's why you want to train there. What is it about the firm that you particularly like or value or appreciate, and how does that confirm that you want to work there? It can be reason A, reason B and reason C.

For 'what makes this firm stand out', you have to know whether it's from your perspective or from a client perspective. There's no harm in asking this in an interview (I have done and they clarified for me). This is usually comparative. From a client view, identify some things that would be important for the client e.g. business strategies, expertise etc, which would normally make them more likely to instruct this firm, other another firm.

For you, you can mention that the firm stand out because it has a feature which another firm doesn't have, and this strengthens your motivation to want to work there. For e.g. Freshfields has an 8-seat training structure, which means I would have a broader, varied training and that is why the firm stands out to me, compared to others.

Let me know if you would like further clarification!

rose0904

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 6, 2021
    For 'why this firm', it's why you want to train there. What is it about the firm that you particularly like or value or appreciate, and how does that confirm that you want to work there? It can be reason A, reason B and reason C.

For 'what makes this firm stand out', you have to know whether it's from your perspective or from a client perspective. There's no harm in asking this in an interview (I have done and they clarified for me). This is usually comparative. From a client view, identify some things that would be important for the client e.g. business strategies, expertise etc, which would normally make them more likely to instruct this firm, other another firm.

For you, you can mention that the firm stand out because it has a feature which another firm doesn't have, and this strengthens your motivation to want to work there. For e.g. Freshfields has an 8-seat training structure, which means I would have a broader, varied training and that is why the firm stands out to me, compared to others.

Let me know if you would like further clarification!
    Thank you so much, that makes a lot of sense!

• 🤝
    Reactions: LEL
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.