TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
Once you meet the benchmark (2:1), do you guys think firms place a lot of importance on where you fall within the 2:1 range? As in could your position on the range be a reason you aren't selected for the next stage even though your application is a strong?

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
Jan 6, 2021
Once you meet the benchmark (2:1), do you guys think firms place a lot of importance on where you fall within the 2:1 range? As in could your position on the range be a reason you aren't selected for the next stage even though your application is a strong?
Hi! I’m no expert but from recent experience, I feel like once you’ve passed the benchmark, most firms will not really consider it? For example, my grades are pretty average (I have some low 2.1s and one 2.2 for some modules, and an average of 2.1 overall) but I was able to get to the next round at a firm which is notoriously picky about academics. However, I wouldn’t doubt that where firms have to choose between very similar candidates (and even then it may be rare) that grades come into consideration, even if both have passed the benchmark. I wouldn’t take this personally though, because even if you have a brilliant application and academics, you may just be unlucky and not get selected.

Also just some general advice for anyone that needs it, but personally, I find that if you have objectively tried your best, and there’s nothing more you can do, it feels destructive to obsess over every possible reason why you didn’t make it through to the next step with a firm (as I used to do😅)- best just to move on and keep improving however you can!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Consider it more like a collective weighting. Someone with a low 2.1 will probably need more evidence elsewhere compared to someone with a high 2.1. But both candidates need to show other evidence - and where academics tend to be a relatively minor element in an application, that other evidence is far more important.

What specifically that evidence is will vary massively between firms though.

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
Anybody else not receive a holding email from Reed Smith post-VI?

I had the technical difficulty (surrounding the deadline and early expiration of the VI link) that a lot of other people also faced. Would this have anything to do with not receiving the holding email?

Arghhh seems like not receiving the email might be a precursor to a PFO 😂😭

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021

I had the technical difficulty (surrounding the deadline and early expiration of the VI link) that a lot of other people also faced. Would this have anything to do with not receiving the holding email?

I would definitely email just to double check! You never know it might have been a sending list error or something like that :)

Reactions: djqb

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021

I had the same issue but received email - I’d bet money that you’ll receive the holding email by tomorrow, it’ll probably just be backlogged. I doubt they would only send it to select applicants.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.