TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Yes thank you so much for adding to this, I agree 100%!!

I think it's so hard to detach yourself from the rejections. When you succeed, everyone celebrates YOU - but when you lose, everyone wants you to separate the process from you as an individual which makes it so much harder.
    People try to reassure me showing how many years it has taken them or other successful people and I know it's meant to help, but I'm honestly not feeling helped by it at all right now. I knew it was going to be hard and might take a while, but getting slapped while you're down is not a good feeling!

The first scenario has really got me down because this 'holistic' review is mentioned absolutely nowhere, current trainees know nothing about it, and it wasn't mentioned in my 'yay you passed!' email at all so I just think it's really disrespectful.. it's not very honest at all and arguably law firms should be setting the standard for honesty in this process, as the regulated profession, not the university students just trying to get by. But I know I need the firm more than they need me so I can't really say anything. So I've just expressed my anger at having my feelings played with here anonymously whilst trying to disguise the firm lol
    I think that’s a very interesting point that I haven’t thought about before - you are right that everyone celebrates an applicant when they’ve received an offer but the advice is quite different when they’ve received a rejection. I suspect we tend to attribute the role of luck a lot more in the rejections compared to the offers.

Nothing wrong with you being upset here. I’m not too familiar with the ‘holistic review’ you mention, but I know this can be a very frustrating process at the best of times.

I’m sorry you had such a bad experience with a firm, it can really hit you hard. Please do take some time for yourself.

Ambs123

Legendary Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    omg Willkie written exercise !!! I’ve been having such a breakdown about all my rejections I think I might cry (good tears for once )
    Congratulations!!! I’ve been having breakdowns too atm because of apps, but it’s so nice to see someone feeling the same but receiving good news that makes it all worth it!!! Keep shining!!

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    Yes thank you so much for adding to this, I agree 100%!!

I think it's so hard to detach yourself from the rejections. When you succeed, everyone celebrates YOU - but when you lose, everyone wants you to separate the process from you as an individual which makes it so much harder.
    People try to reassure me showing how many years it has taken them or other successful people and I know it's meant to help, but I'm honestly not feeling helped by it at all right now. I knew it was going to be hard and might take a while, but getting slapped while you're down is not a good feeling!

The first scenario has really got me down because this 'holistic' review is mentioned absolutely nowhere, current trainees know nothing about it, and it wasn't mentioned in my 'yay you passed!' email at all so I just think it's really disrespectful.. it's not very honest at all and arguably law firms should be setting the standard for honesty in this process, as the regulated profession, not the university students just trying to get by. But I know I need the firm more than they need me so I can't really say anything. So I've just expressed my anger at having my feelings played with here anonymously whilst trying to disguise the firm lol
    I can definitely relate to this as I tend to get rejections very personally and it's absolutely gruelling to get back on the game when you face a rejection after putting in so much time, effort, money etc.

However, the way I have started looking at it - and hopefully this helps - is that maybe your experience with the firm means that they wouldn't suit you even if you were successful with them. If you think that the firm is not aligning with your values at the recruitment stage, then maybe it wouldn't align with your values at a later stage either (as a trainee or associate). Take this with a pinch of salt and pepper but maybe it means you are meant to be at another firm that you think will respect you more and you ultimately end up with an opportunity to find something better rather than make a decision that maybe is not right for you.

As I said, this is definitely not an absolute thing and there a lot of exceptions and opinions - and I am certainly not an expert in the process - but might help lift your spirits and give you strength to keep going :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I haven’t had an AC since November and I feel like that was my only chance for the cycle. Feeling so lost in this cycle atm 💔
    The one thing I would say is that it’s pretty early for assessment centres for most vacation schemes, and particularly for law applicant deadlines for TCs (which won’t be until the summer). My view would be there are still lots of opportunities. Many firms aren’t closing applications until the end of the month, so their ACs invites are likely to only happen in February or even March.

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I have been recently reading a lot in about Netflix lower subscribers statistics and I was wondering how could this potentially affect law firms (most of the emails are from legal commercial awareness websites)?

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    I have been recently reading a lot in about Netflix lower subscribers statistics and I was wondering how could this potentially affect law firms (most of the emails are from legal commercial awareness websites)?
    This isn't a proper answer (it's been a long day!), but take a look at these previous TCLA comm awareness articles for some thoughts. Basically, this looks to me like a story about changing viewer habits, further and further from scheduled programming (think Nadine Dorries and the BBC...), but also how the pandemic has interfered with predictive modelling. Netflix spends a fortune on high-end production values but it's not turning much of a profit and has so much more competition than it did when it was the pioneer...

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    Licensing could be one angle you could take. Many firms advise clients on media licensing. Alongside original content, Netflix uses a lot of licensed content - Maybe there was a film that you saw on there a week ago and wanted to watch but has now disappeared because the license for Netflix to use the property has expired. (Reed Smith represents the BBC on licensing matters.)

Less subscribers could mean less money for Netflix to spend on licensed content; hence, less work for firms.

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    This isn't a proper answer (it's been a long day!), but take a look at these previous TCLA comm awareness articles for some thoughts. Basically, this looks to me like a story about changing viewer habits, further and further from scheduled programming (think Nadine Dorries and the BBC...), but also how the pandemic has interfered with predictive modelling. Netflix spends a fortune on high-end production values but it's not turning much of a profit and has so much more competition than it did when it was the pioneer...

Licensing could be one angle you could take. Many firms advise clients on media licensing. Alongside original content, Netflix uses a lot of licensed content - Maybe there was a film that you saw on there a week ago and wanted to watch but has now disappeared because the license for Netflix to use the property has expired. (Reed Smith represents the BBC on licensing matters.)

Less subscribers could mean less money for Netflix to spend on licensed content; hence, less work for firms.
    Thank you both!

Reactions: Alison C
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.