TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunLee2808

Junior Lawyer
Oct 16, 2021
Hey guys! I just have a question for an upcoming interview.

I'm not sure whether I should repeat my examples that I talked about in the online app in the interview.

For example on the online app, they asked what were my hobbies and interests. I wrote about meeting new, diverse people, learning about their experiences/perspectives and engaging in discussion. Then I spoke about my experience being a Student Ambassador.

What if, in the interview, they ask me 'what energises you?'. Because what really energises me is a team-working setting and being able to learn from different/fresh perspectives. I genuinely enjoy the exposure. Do you think it is ok for me to repeat my example? I just don't want to be a broken record that regurgitates the same things. But at the same time I'm not sure whether my interviewer has read my online app and remembered parts of that.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to sell myself well, or any specific structure/guideline I should follow that works well? I struggle with this due to self-criticism :')

Any tips would be appreciated! Would also appreciate if @Jessica Booker or any of the TCLA moderators could advise me on this!

Reactions: George Maxwell

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Hiii everyone,

Firstly, anyone else nearly pee themselves after getting that very nice update email from Mishcon yesterday? 💀

Secondly, I’ve decided to apply for Walker Morris again, and I still don’t know how to answer “What connections do you have to the area?”
- what are they looking for?
Is it to confirm your committed to staying post training?, or that you know about the businesses in the area/the commercial trends etc?
thaaanks

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hiii everyone,

Firstly, anyone else nearly pee themselves after getting that very nice update email from Mishcon yesterday? 💀

Secondly, I’ve decided to apply for Walker Morris again, and I still don’t know how to answer “What connections do you have to the area?”
Is it to confirm your committed to staying post training?, or that you know about the businesses in the area/the commercial trends etc?
thaaanks
They will be looking for assurance that you'll stay regional and not float off to London post-qual

• 🤝
Reactions: Hele25

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Hiii everyone,

thaaanks
    Mission gave me a heart attack lol

• Haha
    Reactions: Hele25

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Gibson Dunn second stage interview invite! Grateful if anyone has any tips or advice 😊it’s a general interview and article interview
    I'm afraid I can't say too much about the article interview but the general interview is very similar in that they want to get to know you and your CV/motivations for joining the firm/interests etc so if you prepare how you did for the first one then you won't go far wrong!

Re the article interview, I'd check out some threads on here which should give some helpful tips (sorry I can't say more) - best of luck with it!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.