TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So I am going to just have a word vomit:

So i have an interview tomorrow with Linklaters - and I feel soo inadequate. I honestly don't even know why I am going. I know I am going to get a rejection and there is literally no point. I don't want to embarrass myself or have my hopes up to only have it be destroyed. i know there is the whole 'it is not a PFO till it is a PFO" or "it is amazing that you even got an interview" but regardless .... i feel so %$&£
Some affirmations for you:

- You are a successful minority - around 9 out of 10 people didn't get to where you are now.
- Linklaters set high standards even at the application stage - they clearly saw something in you that you can't see right now
- The firm want you to do well in the assessments - they wouldn't have invited you to the interview if they didn't think you could do well in them
- You have clearly done a lot to get where you are now - that hasn't been anything you have done in a short period of time - it's taken years to accumulate your skills and knowledge. You should recognise how much you have done that will get you through tomorrow.

Now for the tough love (I mean this with all the best of intentions even if it comes across as blunt!):

- Even if it isn't a positive decision, it doesn't mean there aren't positives to take from the experience. You have to see this as a learning opportunity rather than as one where the only outcome is that you will embarrass yourself.
- The key factor that is likely to negatively impact your chances at the moment is your own mindset.
- Do you really want to let how you are feeling now (which in contrast is a short period of time when compared to everything else you have done) really take over or diminish your own thinking about all your hard work to date?

As someone who has suffered from imposter syndrome, I know it isn't as easy as just brushing it off quickly and unfortunately I won't be much help in trying to actually get over it. However, if Baroness Hale can suffer from imposter syndrome (article here), we are both in good company!

Aga123+

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    I recieved an email re WM's in-person AC, and the dress code is: 'please feel free to dress in your comfortable attire (assessors will be smart casual).' - I don't have anyone to ask for advice because no one in my family has a traditional office job. Would smart black trousers and a blouse/shirt be ok? I'm assuming it's better to be over-dressed than too casual? Thank you!
    Yep, that should be fine - Smart casual attire is a dress code that combines well-fitting, polished business wear with elements of casual attire.

[One tip that should help you with dress codes is to remember that sometimes it's better to overdress than underdress - mainly because overdressing can be easily remedied on the day (take off blazer/tie, change from heels to flats etc). Dressing too causal might be harder to deal with on the day...

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    I've seen that VIs for Mishcon have gone out, but I've heard nothing bar the holding email yet. Is this a likely PFO or could there be a reasonable alternative explanation?
    I think they’re processing the applications chronologically as everyone who has received a VI has applied in November or earlier. If you applied early, maybe it’s a bad sign. If you applied later (e.g December), they may just not have looked at your application yet.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hypothetical question:

In the fortunate situation that one gets offered several vacation scheme offers and it ends up that they overlap ( eg. one is 1 july - 20 July and the other one is 17 july - 30 july), is there any alternative or is the only solution available to do just one of them?

Can you for example ask GR to do a Spring Scheme instead of SVS for one of them or would that be innappropriate?

Follow up questions
    As ACs and responses after ACs come at different times for different firms, and let's say one gets a SVS offer and chooses a date for it. Then one does a later AC and gets another SVS and the dates overlap and one wants to do the second SVS more, are there any consequences if one cancels the first SVS?

Is a SVS offer without actually doing the SVS still something to put on your CV / LinkedIn?

Any guidance for this hypothetical situation would be much appreciated
    It's fine to ask to be transferred to another scheme if you have conflicts, just be prepared for them to say no.

I personally think that putting offers for work you never did on a CV/LinkedIn is silly.

No particular consequences to cancelling a scheme except that that firm might not want to hear from you again if you're still applying in future cycles.

ANRAIncm

Jan 30, 2021
    I think they’re processing the applications chronologically as everyone who has received a VI has applied in November or earlier. If you applied early, maybe it’s a bad sign. If you applied later (e.g December), they may just not have looked at your application yet.
    Thank you, that makes sense - I applied late in December, so hoping that's the case!

Reactions: LawfulRust00

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    I don’t have the option to book my slot yet
    Oh okay. This is the same approach they did with the VI where Reed Smith did not send out the acc VIs out until way later even though they sent candidates a confirmation quite early that they passed the SJT as well as ppl receiving the confirmation that they passed the SJT a couple of weeks later.
    So there’s hope guys xx

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    It's fine to ask to be transferred to another scheme if you have conflicts, just be prepared for them to say no.

I personally think that putting offers for work you never did on a CV/LinkedIn is silly.

No particular consequences to cancelling a scheme except that that firm might not want to hear from you again if you're still applying in future cycles.
    some people mention that they were an offer holder of the schemes they never done but its up to you I guess

ellwilsen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 27, 2020
    Apologies if this is a silly question but if I’ve secured a vac scheme, is this something I should declare on my application forms to other firms that I had already submitted prior to my offer but who’s applications are still able to be amended?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hypothetical question:

In the fortunate situation that one gets offered several vacation scheme offers and it ends up that they overlap ( eg. one is 1 july - 20 July and the other one is 17 july - 30 july), is there any alternative or is the only solution available to do just one of them?

Can you for example ask GR to do a Spring Scheme instead of SVS for one of them or would that be innappropriate?

Follow up questions
    As ACs and responses after ACs come at different times for different firms, and let's say one gets a SVS offer and chooses a date for it. Then one does a later AC and gets another SVS and the dates overlap and one wants to do the second SVS more, are there any consequences if one cancels the first SVS?

Is a SVS offer without actually doing the SVS still something to put on your CV / LinkedIn?

Any guidance for this hypothetical situation would be much appreciated
    I strongly advise not putting vacation schemes/roles you turned down on your CV/LinkedIn.....

No one else does this in the job market and there is no way it can be verified/checked, so it means nothing really.

Your options are:
    • See if there are alternative dates for any of your schemes
    • See if you can transfer to another type of opportunity (e.g. direct TC recruitment process/insight programme)
    There are no real consequences of reneging an offer apart from probably having less of a chance at that firm (as you are turning them down, they know there is less chance you will join them as a trainee). But that would be the case if you declined the offer anyway.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Apologies if this is a silly question but if I’ve secured a vac scheme, is this something I should declare on my application forms to other firms that I had already submitted prior to my offer but who’s applications are still able to be amended?
    If you can amend it, there is no harm in updating your application yourself.

Reactions: ellwilsen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.