TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    So I am going to just have a word vomit:

So i have an interview tomorrow with Linklaters - and I feel soo inadequate. I honestly don't even know why I am going. I know I am going to get a rejection and there is literally no point. I don't want to embarrass myself or have my hopes up to only have it be destroyed. i know there is the whole 'it is not a PFO till it is a PFO" or "it is amazing that you even got an interview" but regardless .... i feel so %$&£

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021

So i have an interview tomorrow with Linklaters - and I feel soo inadequate. I honestly don't even know why I am going. I know I am going to get a rejection and there is literally no point. I don't want to embarrass myself or have my hopes up to only have it be destroyed. i know there is the whole 'it is not a PFO till it is a PFO" or "it is amazing that you even got an interview" but regardless .... i feel so %$&£

Everyone is their own worst critic. You cannot go into an interview with that mindset. You aren't going to be embarrassing yourself by going to an interview for a law magic circle law firm... I view that as an achievement; it's something that most of the population have never been able to do. You should go in there with your head held high and feel proud to be in the position that you are in.

Imposter syndrome is a big thing, but it doesn't have to be. You deserve to be where you are. You've put the work into your application and into your degree and that hard work is finally coming to fruition. Just a few more steps.

I always liked a quote by Zig Ziglar that goes: 'You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.'

sami.rehman

Feb 3, 2021
    Anyone still waiting to hear post-app HSF Spring? It’s been so long 😭
    Hey! I received this email from GR today,

Please be assured the GR team are still working hard to review all the applications received for our vacation schemes this year. We will be in touch with any updates to your application form via email.

I can totally agree with you though, the wait is agonising!

• 🤝
    Reactions: DXXXX and emilyrose99

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021

I completely understand the imposter syndrome feeling but you would not have been invited to interview if they didn't think that you were good enough. They simply wouldn't waste their time. You have worth and your skills and experiences are valuable. It is normal to feel nervous and apprehensive about such a big interview, but you have to believe that you are worth the time and effort that they are putting in to meet you. You have stood out from thousands of applications because they have seen something special in you. That could be your experience etc but it could just be YOU.

Acknowledge the nerves and how you are feeling but take time to relax, have a bubble bath with some good tunes on and let them meet the genuine you and affirm their thinking that you are someone that they want to be in business with. You are worth the effort and you have something unique to bring to the table....who you are!

You've got this

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021

You got the interview because they see something in you. My SO is an associate at a MC firm now and has previously worked at two SC firms. He has interviewed people for vacation schemes. And at the end of the day, he always says “I just want to get the sense that this person is normal, easy to get along with, and has a good head on their shoulders”. That’s it. You’ve already impressed them on paper - now all you need to do is show them that you are, indeed, the person who wrote the application!

And if it provides you even a little bit of comfort…. He has a Charizard stuffed animal on his nightstand. Which goes to show you, fancy title or not, at the end of the day the people who interview you are humans too!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    You got the interview because they see something in you. My SO is an associate at a MC firm now and has previously worked at two SC firms. He has interviewed people for vacation schemes. And at the end of the day, he always says “I just want to get the sense that this person is normal, easy to get along with, and has a good head on their shoulders”. That’s it. You’ve already impressed them on paper - now all you need to do is show them that you are, indeed, the person who wrote the application!

And if it provides you even a little bit of comfort…. He has a Charizard stuffed animal on his nightstand. Which goes to show you, fancy title or not, at the end of the day the people who interview you are humans too!
    I think this is a very important point - lawyers, all the way from trainee to partner, are just people. To the extent that they are very impressive people, that is something they have accrued over time. Candidates aren't expected to be perfect, ready-made practitioners - a handful are, an overwhelming majority of us are not.

emilyrose99

Star Member
    Nov 3, 2018
    Hey! I received this email from GR today,

Please be assured the GR team are still working hard to review all the applications received for our vacation schemes this year. We will be in touch with any updates to your application form via email.

I can totally agree with you though, the wait is agonising!

Thanks for sharing - hopefully we’ll hear soon!

• 🤝
    Reactions: sami.rehman
    Hypothetical question:

In the fortunate situation that one gets offered several vacation scheme offers and it ends up that they overlap ( eg. one is 1 july - 20 July and the other one is 17 july - 30 july), is there any alternative or is the only solution available to do just one of them?

Can you for example ask GR to do a Spring Scheme instead of SVS for one of them or would that be innappropriate?

Follow up questions
    As ACs and responses after ACs come at different times for different firms, and let's say one gets a SVS offer and chooses a date for it. Then one does a later AC and gets another SVS and the dates overlap and one wants to do the second SVS more, are there any consequences if one cancels the first SVS?

Is a SVS offer without actually doing the SVS still something to put on your CV / LinkedIn?

Any guidance for this hypothetical situation would be much appreciated

Reactions: George Maxwell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.