TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Got the call from DLA offering me an AC for… tomorrow🙄, my application makes it clear I work full time lol. I’m worried they won’t have later spots now
Unbelievable! Did you explain your situation?

I've also had firms asking me to do ACs at short notice - I'm lucky my paralegalling firm is understanding about this, but not everyone has that privilege.

Either way, congrats on the AC - DLA Piper is an amazing firm, hope your AC goes well!

Reactions: RachelLouise22

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
Hi, this might be a dumb question but was wondering if it's possible to apply for a direct TC if a firm rejects for VS in the same cycle?
usually you aren't but there's a few firms that allow it- Macfarlanes and Freshfields are two of them I believe. I know they do formally allow it but also not sure if anyone has been successful with a TC after being rejected from a VS in the same cycle....would be interesting to know if anyone has been successful this way

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Got the call from DLA offering me an AC for… tomorrow🙄, my application makes it clear I work full time lol. I’m worried they won’t have later spots now
They have probably just had someone pull out of the AC short notice (illness/other offer etc) and are trying to backfill the spot. If that is the case, it might be the only thing they can offer but explain to them you are working full time and will struggle to get the time off at such short notice - they will understand.

JunLee2808

Junior Lawyer
Oct 16, 2021
Hey guys! Does anyone have tips for a group exercise (I don't think it is a negotiation exercise based on previous trainee experiences, but it's more of a business proposal type situation where we have to suggest the best proposal to go with)?

How can I bring in CA to make sure I'm not shoe-horning it in? Any structure apart from SWOT and PESTEL that I should consistently keep in mind? What else should I think about? I find it challenging because most of the time, all the information is already in the task so I'm not sure whether I'm unnecessarily restricting myself just to the facts of the case documents and coming up with creative solutions.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone have experience messing up a couple of questions in an AC interview and still receiving an offer? My brain completely short-circuited 😅

My first AC so I'm going to treat it as a learning experience.
I suspect you think you messed up but you actually didn't. Even if it is the case your answers could have been stronger, they aren't looking for perfection, and therefore "messing up" the occasional answer is actually pretty common for people who get offers.

therealellewoods

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 20, 2022
    Hi guys, just reading over an application I submitted yesterday - I rushed it a little as I thought the deadline was midnight but I think it's actually midnight today. I realised I made two mistakes:

- 'Supreme Court Victory' capitalised the V in victory
    - 'vital in becoming lawyer' (should have said 'vital in becoming a lawyer')

I thought this was one of my strongest applications so far, and so I'm really deeping the mistakes and whether they'll ruin it for me. In everyones opinions are these major? and would it be worth withdrawing my application and submitting a new one by correcting them or could this be plagiarism or something?

Reactions: George Maxwell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.