TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I have a question about mentioning other firms I've applied to during interviews. I know and I've been told that it's good to mention that you've been invited to assessment centres at other firms because it shows that you're wanted, but from a grad recruiters perspective, what would be your view on if I mentioned I did an AC at a competitor but I was ultimately rejected? Would that look bad on me, or can I try twist it to show what I've learned? If they probe me and ask what the result was I obviously wouldn't want to lie

GOI983

Esteemed Member
Sep 15, 2021
Hi everyone. I have just been asked to partake in a psychometric assessment for Pinsent Masons (I applied to the Manchester office). It says 'based on the application you have made...'. Does anyone know if this is automated, or if this means my application was successful? Thanks
Nope, they have definitely screened your app. Out of 1000+ applicants, if I remember correctly, 240 are given the test to do

h1

Esteemed Member
Oct 12, 2020

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
@AvniD @George Maxwell @James Carrabino @Jessica Booker

What would you guys say are the biggest challenges and opportunities in the legal industry at the moment. I am talking about general awareness of the current and foreseeable market - so if you were perhaps the managing partner at a city law firm, what would be you top considerations currently. Would love to hear people's opinions.

I'll start - I was thinking: (1) Retaining talent and well being; and (2) for a UK firm, probably US rivals coming in and dominating some areas in London.

Reactions: Donuttime

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Just a non-application point but I was going through my applications from last year that I submitted this time last year and wow am laughing at how bad my applications were last year.

For those who reached video interviews or AC, this cycle read applications from last year or the year before and think wow were my applications that bad.

I just want to say that improving applications does take time and can see why I did not get any good news from the application stage last year.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    @AvniD @George Maxwell @James Carrabino @Jessica Booker

What would you guys say are the biggest challenges and opportunities in the legal industry at the moment. I am talking about general awareness of the current and foreseeable market - so if you were perhaps the managing partner at a city law firm, what would be you top considerations currently. Would love to hear people's opinions.

I'll start - I was thinking: (1) Retaining talent and well being; and (2) for a UK firm, probably US rivals coming in and dominating some areas in London.
    ESG comes to mind straight away.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.