TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
Jan 12, 2022
sorry for the second memorandum question in a row guys, I'm just wondering if it's okay to use second person address in these? If I'm sending one to a client, would it be like 'it is advised that (client company name) should...' or can I just use 'you' in relation to the recipient? (AC preparation)

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@AvniD @George Maxwell @James Carrabino @Jessica Booker

What would you guys say are the biggest challenges and opportunities in the legal industry at the moment. I am talking about general awareness of the current and foreseeable market - so if you were perhaps the managing partner at a city law firm, what would be you top considerations currently. Would love to hear people's opinions.

I'll start - I was thinking: (1) Retaining talent and well being; and (2) for a UK firm, probably US rivals coming in and dominating some areas in London.
my thoughts (which by no means is informed and therefore may not be accurate)

1) decision making around investment into technology - too many types/how it makes them different to other firms using the same type of technology/how transferable it is across jurisdictions etc.

2) Managing overheads as effectively as possible with rising inflation

3) Anything around cyber security

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
@AvniD @George Maxwell @James Carrabino @Jessica Booker

What would you guys say are the biggest challenges and opportunities in the legal industry at the moment. I am talking about general awareness of the current and foreseeable market - so if you were perhaps the managing partner at a city law firm, what would be you top considerations currently. Would love to hear people's opinions.

I'll start - I was thinking: (1) Retaining talent and well being; and (2) for a UK firm, probably US rivals coming in and dominating some areas in London.
I would have lots of anxiety about the macro environment. Inflation is an issue, as potentially are rate rises though law firms tend not to have substantial debt on their balance sheets so won't be bludgeoned by that directly. Concerns though about a general economic downturn, or shifting of winds. Many elite firms note that they do alright in a downturn because of a so-called 'flight to quality' ie. beleaguered corporates will turn to the most prestigious advisors when things get very rough. Obviously this has implications for smaller firms, but also less-established/growth practices of elite firms (you may be MC/US with a decent restructuring department, but will you be a go-to in crisis for the most plum clients?). A lot of more speculative sectors (mostly in tech or adjacent) are due for a harrowing, and I'd wonder if my firm's positioning is going to keep me in with the winners there. If I do a lot of M&A for plcs, I'm going to worry because my clients will be less competitive if stock markets retreat - public Corps love to use their own shares as acquisition currency, but this becomes less attractive if trading is weaker. Conversely if I'm in PE M&A I'm going to be salivating - deep-pocketed PE houses or outfits with a distressed situations focus will have piles of cash to drop on deals in a general downturn. Advisors to certain types of hedge funds with esoteric credit strategies will also make out well on this. If you're already big in these spaces, you'll be worried about other firms wanting to move in on that market and considering how to fend them off.

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Oct 8, 2021
Bird & Bird pfo post VI today, gutting after doing a VS with them last summer, BUT Mayer Brown AC!! This process is such an emotional roller coaster!
My process in rollercoaster form:

Scared Scooby Doo GIF by Boomerang Official

(Congrats on your AC) ☺️

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
I would have lots of anxiety about the macro environment. Inflation is an issue, as potentially are rate rises though law firms tend not to have substantial debt on their balance sheets so won't be bludgeoned by that directly. Concerns though about a general economic downturn, or shifting of winds. Many elite firms note that they do alright in a downturn because of a so-called 'flight to quality' ie. beleaguered corporates will turn to the most prestigious advisors when things get very rough. Obviously this has implications for smaller firms, but also less-established/growth practices of elite firms (you may be MC/US with a decent restructuring department, but will you be a go-to in crisis for the most plum clients?). A lot of more speculative sectors (mostly in tech or adjacent) are due for a harrowing, and I'd wonder if my firm's positioning is going to keep me in with the winners there. If I do a lot of M&A for plcs, I'm going to worry because my clients will be less competitive if stock markets retreat - public Corps love to use their own shares as acquisition currency, but this becomes less attractive if trading is weaker. Conversely if I'm in PE M&A I'm going to be salivating - deep-pocketed PE houses or outfits with a distressed situations focus will have piles of cash to drop on deals in a general downturn. Advisors to certain types of hedge funds with esoteric credit strategies will also make out well on this. If you're already big in these spaces, you'll be worried about other firms wanting to move in on that market and considering how to fend them off.
Query I guess also on this how UK markets fare; EU and Asian markets are under strain, the US is ofc going a bit funny right now but the expert opinion for years now has been the UK publics are chronically undervalued in the wake of Brexit and the uncertainty it created. Fundamentals have stabilised somewhat with valuations still lagging so domestic public market heavyweights (Slaughters an obvious example) might make out well if the relative position of UK plc improves cause of difficulties elsewhere.

Reactions: George Maxwell

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    With the "where should we open a new office", I just found out that the firm had an office in the country I was going to discuss but closed it in 2019... would it be advised to chose a different place in this case? I feel like I have a strong argument but not sure if it would sit right?

Reactions: Donuttime

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    With the "where should we open a new office", I just found out that the firm had an office in the country I was going to discuss but closed it in 2019... would it be advised to chose a different place in this case? I feel like I have a strong argument but not sure if it would sit right?
    If it closed that recently I would probably not run the argument unless you can directly address what's more attractive about that market now.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    That said it kind of depends - if the old office was in the same country but you're proposing a different city/region that might be fine. In Germany for example, operating in Frankfurt is very different to operating in Munich.

ellensdaleoriginal

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 23, 2020
    Has anyone heard anything back from Greenberg Traurig??

Also if anyone has any inside info on their 1st-year trainee/NQ salary I'd be intrigued to know. Seeing as most law firms are so open about salary the fact I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere is making me a bit sceptical.

Considering their revenue, size, US roots, ranking etc I assume it will be pretty similar to other US firms in the city with around £50k for year 1 and then £120k plus for NQ but would be interested to know.

Reactions: djqb

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Has anyone heard anything back from Greenberg Traurig??

Also if anyone has any inside info on their 1st-year trainee/NQ salary I'd be intrigued to know. Seeing as most law firms are so open about salary the fact I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere is making me a bit sceptical.

Considering their revenue, size, US roots, ranking etc I assume it will be pretty similar to other US firms in the city with around £50k for year 1 and then £120k plus for NQ but would be interested to know.
    Have you checkout out Glassdoor? They usually have all salaries on there

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.