TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    So I am going to just have a word vomit:

So i have an interview tomorrow with Linklaters - and I feel soo inadequate. I honestly don't even know why I am going. I know I am going to get a rejection and there is literally no point. I don't want to embarrass myself or have my hopes up to only have it be destroyed. i know there is the whole 'it is not a PFO till it is a PFO" or "it is amazing that you even got an interview" but regardless .... i feel so %$&£
    So I just wanted to give an update - because I think it would be useful for others that are going through sh^$. I just received the call that I got a vacation scheme offer from Linklaters
    Reflecting back now I completely understand the mental state I was in - but I wish I had not brought myself down like that and that I would have believed in myself.

Last edited:

moneymoneymoney

Standard Member
    Dec 17, 2020
    For the situational strengths tests, I researched the key attributes of a trainee and what Mayer Brown looks for specifically, as the strengths tested are usually part of the firm's essential requirements. Also, I would say just think carefully about each scenario and be authentic about how you would actually react in each scenario, rather than trying to guess what’s expected.

For the verbal reasoning tests, sometimes reading out loud helps as is actually taking time to understand the points/questions rather than just guessing.

- Hope that helps
    How did u prep for the verbal reasoning bit? esp. for the section on selecting summaries for a passage

did some on job test prep and failed it miserably :(

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    Ngl I was still feeling hopeful/optimistic with RS :(

Let's see what happens tomorrow! Also, if they sent AC invites last Sat, the rest of us might also hear back on Sat so another day to potentially wait:oops:

At least we got each other ahaha
    Ditto.
    What does Arctic Shores mean; or is it a real place idk about?
    Hahaha, no; it's just a provider of the tests that PWC and other firms use. They create games based assessments.

Reactions: John Doe and GXA123

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 8, 2021
    Congratulations to anyone who has succeeded in their quest for an AC/VS/TC. This process is absolutely brutal mentally. Even taking away the rejections and applications, just the waiting is torturous. Example: I got in 99th percentile in a WG tests 6 weeks ago and have still heard nothing and now fully expect a PFO somehow. It is just horrendous isn’t it.

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    What are you guys' thoughts on using all of the word limit for application questions? I understand that CC outlined that one of the biggest reasons for rejection was not using the whole word limit but how much is enough/not enough?

Striving to use 100% of the word limit is slowly killing me. Especially in firms that have a combined word count of 1500-2000. Its so exhausting!

ps123

Star Member
    Oct 15, 2021
    admittedly I'm someone who doesn't, & never has, care about timing (had a gap year = 1 year 'behind', studied History = another year 'behind', started a career in another sector = why not add another year 'behind'. This process clearly is brutal and competitive; think how satisfying it will be when you (we) get that offer in the end! It's really easy to compare yourself to the bloke on LinkedIn with their 5 'Vacation Scheme Offer Holder' tags but at the end of the day it's irrelevant: you can only accept one and then everyone's level again! Just my two cents on the topic:)

Donuttime

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 17, 2021
    Congratulations to anyone who has succeeded in their quest for an AC/VS/TC. This process is absolutely brutal mentally. Even taking away the rejections and applications, just the waiting is torturous. Example: I got in 99th percentile in a WG tests 6 weeks ago and have still heard nothing and now fully expect a PFO somehow. It is just horrendous isn’t it.
    So sorry but that’s amazing! What firm if you don’t mind me asking? Is it Freshfields

AP2000

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    PFO from PwC after arctic shores, but still nothing from Taylor Wessing... which was also Arctic Shores but not including logical reasoning. Yikes.
    Let me just say that this doesn't mean anything bad necessarily! The test might be the same but the organisations might be very different! I have done Arctic Shores for 2 companies in the past- got into the first, didn't get into the second, more or less the same traits. Plus the second company turned me down even though things like my ability to process large quantities of information were at the max. So try not to overthink (something which I am very guilty of doing!). Taylor Wessing, according to their grad rec team, likes to mix and match different personalities so it really doesn't mean you have no chances of getting in because PwC turned you down :)

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    Can anyone give me some advice in terms of calming down after an AC? Just did an AC with CC today and tbh there are answers that I'm pretty disappointed with, and when I think of it now I should be able to give better answers. How to stop myself from thinking about that:(:(
    It's really just as simple as reaffirming you have done your best, and, however much you'd like to, you cannot turn back time. The past is the past, so let's focus on the now! Try and distract yourself by doing things you enjoy. Hope for the best for you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What are you guys' thoughts on using all of the word limit for application questions? I understand that CC outlined that one of the biggest reasons for rejection was not using the whole word limit but how much is enough/not enough?

Striving to use 100% of the word limit is slowly killing me. Especially in firms that have a combined word count of 1500-2000. Its so exhausting!
    No one will notice if it is 10-15% under. Any more than this, and I usually expect they are looking for more of a well-rounded or in-depth answer.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Let me just say that this doesn't mean anything bad necessarily! The test might be the same but the organisations might be very different! I have done Arctic Shores for 2 companies in the past- got into the first, didn't get into the second, more or less the same traits. Plus the second company turned me down even though things like my ability to process large quantities of information were at the max. So try not to overthink (something which I am very guilty of doing!). Taylor Wessing, according to their grad rec team, likes to mix and match different personalities so it really doesn't mean you have no chances of getting in because PwC turned you down :)
    Entirely agree! I was invited to AC for TW but was rejected from PwC! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.