TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I agree with you I meant I
    Just to offer a bit of a different perspective to this, I know a lot of people with TC’s and I don’t think any of them have paid for these services, myself included. This is including the elite US firms and a range of international City firms.

So please do think carefully before paying for expensive courses because you want a TC badly. They might be helpful, but do consider if they’re worth the money. They’re definitely not a silver bullet to a TC.
    I agree with you as I would never pay for his services but I have had his free one to one session and his advice is so great so can see why he charges so much.

Reactions: GXA123

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    i could be wrong but think its phone call either way for feedback? Not sure tho!
    I think it's like that:

phone call: offer

email: PFO
    Thanks guys, I checked my recording for the assessment centre preparation and I think we will get the phone call regardless of the outcome because they want to give us extensive feedback. Thanks!

zidoeslaw

Star Member
    Aug 17, 2021
    Has anyone heard from DLA Piper post WG? I've not had anything back and wondering whether to follow up. And same with Taylor Wessing Arctic Shores?
    My friend was invited to the AC a week ago and they told her it was the last one.. I also remember they had some trouble sending rejection emails. Last cycle I got rejected but never received an email (not in spam either) :/

Reactions: littlecat

JM1998

Esteemed Member
    Mar 26, 2021
    I agree with you I meant I

I agree with you as I would never pay for his services but I have had his free one to one session and his advice is so great so can see why he charges so much.

That makes sense.

I’d also say to people to consider using careers advisors at university. They’re great for reviewing applications and for holding mock interviews and ACs and they usually have experience in dealing with the firms too. Aspiring Solicitors have similar programmes too!

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

awd1998

Star Member
    Jan 7, 2022
    That makes sense.

I’d also say to people to consider using careers advisors at university. They’re great for reviewing applications and for holding mock interviews and ACs and they usually have experience in dealing with the firms too. Aspiring Solicitors have similar programmes too!
    Yeah definitely would make use of careers advisors at university as your paying for the service already as part of your tuition fees and from my experience there incredibly knowledgeable about what each law firm wants as they speak to recruitment managers on a regular basis when organising talks at the university from law firms. This year I have probably had 50% of my applications reviewed by my the law specific careers advisor at my university and so far out of those I have taken the time to have checked I have only had one application rejected at the initial stage and currently hold two VS placements and still waiting on the outcome of two AC's I took more recently. Where's of the ones I didn't get checked I have had a less positive response and this reflects what happened last year when I had pretty much no success in the application cycle as I just didn't bother or think having a second pair of eyes reading over my application was worthwhile.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Yeah definitely would make use of careers advisors at university as your paying for the service already as part of your tuition fees and from my experience there incredibly knowledgeable about what each law firm wants as they speak to recruitment managers on a regular basis when organising talks at the university from law firms. This year I have probably had 50% of my applications reviewed by my the law specific careers advisor at my university and so far out of those I have taken the time to have checked I have only had one application rejected at the initial stage and currently hold two VS placements and still waiting on the outcome of two AC's I took more recently. Where's of the ones I didn't get checked I have had a less positive response and this reflects what happened last year when I had pretty much no success in the application cycle as I just didn't bother or think having a second pair of eyes reading over my application was worthwhile.
    That's good for you!

But many of us are graduates/professionals who do not have access to career advisors.
    Despite immense work and improvements are a bit lost and do not know what else to do.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Man have you ever attended a certain LPC institution?
    No need to be so hostile, it was simply a suggestion in case you were unaware as a lot of people don't realise that a lot of university's allow continued use of the careers services. FYI I'm a graduate, and a full-time working professional halfway through my LPC at one of the big two providers on a part-time basis.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    No need to be so hostile, it was simply a suggestion in case you were unaware as a lot of people don't realise that a lot of university's allow continued use of the careers services. FYI I'm a graduate, and a full-time working professional halfway through my LPC at one of the big two providers on a part-time basis.
    I did not want to be hostile and apologise

You can access the career service and I hope that they have improved because they did not even have appropriate IT equipment and tutors.
    However, guys you need to understand that many people will try everything that they can. Plus, the majority comes from good universities and they offer excellent services and the same cannot be said to more than half of the applicants.

CF12345

Distinguished Member
    Dec 6, 2020
    My friend was invited to the AC a week ago and they told her it was the last one.. I also remember they had some trouble sending rejection emails. Last cycle I got rejected but never received an email (not in spam either) :/
    I emailed the grad recruitment team and they said they were still considering applications which seems odd!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.