TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’ve made applications before where it’s possible to format the bullet points appropriately in the initial form but once it has been sent off, the formatting jams. Do you think this is understandable from a recruiter’s point of view?
They probably see it enough if that is the case. How much it impacts your application is hard to say though.

Basically, avoid copying bullet points in as that's where the formatting goes haywire. If you can format bullet points in the application system, then it shouldn't go haywire (like you can do here)

1643636247746.png

Reactions: George Maxwell

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    They probably see it enough if that is the case. How much it impacts your application is hard to say though.

Basically, avoid copying bullet points in as that's where the formatting goes haywire. If you can format bullet points in the application system, then it shouldn't go haywire (like you can do here)

View attachment 3829
    * When I do it the bullet point comes like this. *

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Okay, this is weird, I got a Vinson & Elkins video interview. My first video interview ever.

CLEARLY TRYING TO DERAIL MY FUTURE AS A WINE MUM.

On a more serious note, I’d really appreciate it if anyone could give me some pointers. I don’t know why, but I feel quite ill thinking about a video interview.

Also, I applied on January 10th.
    This has been said elsewhere, but pick a time and stick to it. I had scheduled myself a time to do my first VI but woke up one morning very excitable and decided to just go for it - this was a mistake.

Idk if V&E gives a general outline of their VI but if they do, prepare even for things that they haven't mentioned. I expected one to be purely motivational and commercial - grad rec had said to expect that - and floundered on a very minor competency component which I would normally answer perfectly well but was caught off-guard. Expect the unexpected.

• 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell and Adrian_S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Okay, this is weird, I got a Vinson & Elkins video interview. My first video interview ever.

CLEARLY TRYING TO DERAIL MY FUTURE AS A WINE MUM.

On a more serious note, I’d really appreciate it if anyone could give me some pointers. I don’t know why, but I feel quite ill thinking about a video interview.

Also, I applied on January 10th.
    You can use the video simulator as part of your subscription - I highly recommend this is you have time ahead of your deadline for this interview.

A.Diane01

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 1, 2021
    This has been said elsewhere, but pick a time and stick to it. I had scheduled myself a time to do my first VI but woke up one morning very excitable and decided to just go for it - this was a mistake.

Idk if V&E gives a general outline of their VI but if they do, prepare even for things that they haven't mentioned. I expected one to be purely motivational and commercial - grad rec had said to expect that - and floundered on a very minor competency component which I would normally answer perfectly well but was caught off-guard. Expect the unexpected.
    @Adrian_S

Just to add to this point - get the basics nailed. I was very very upset to have prepared (what I thought was) well for a VI - eg commercially, knew about firm awards etc - and on the first question absolutely went into a melt down.

Totally unexpected, but also - I didn't know what to string together to tell them about the one thing in my life I'm an expert on...me!

So yeah, I would most definitely say really know the fundamentals, and (I think) you're already off to a winner.

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    There is nothing you can do about the AC now. You won't be doing yourself or your applications justice if you keep fixating on it and worrying about it. It's a natural human response to review your errors and such but you just need to put it behind you and stay positive. There are plenty of times I have interviewed, done an exam etc. and felt it was going to be terrible, but I just blank it out of my mind. I have been pleasantly surprised with great results on many of those occasions.

Focus on what is in front of you right now so you can apply to one more firm. Take advantage of this window of opportunity! Don't worry about the past, and if God forbid the post AC comes back negatively, don't let it put you down. Take all the positives and learning experiences you can from it, and move on.

Keep your head up and understand you'll be fine no matter what!
    💪
    Thank you so much for the pep talk. I went to the gym to clear my head and now trying to get something done for today!! So hard to take everything as a positive learning experience but just need to keep reminding myself of this. thanks again.. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.