TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know how 'white shoe' Gibson Dunn is? Has anyone from a non RG university made it past initial application? I only ask because the Legal Cheek current trainee pie-chart looks like a perfect semi-circle of oxbridge and RG graduates.

I understand that many US firms still priorities certain universities, even in the 21st century, and wanted to know whether there is any point in applying.
They are not prioritising universities, they are prioritising grades. If you need high A-level grades to apply, then the vast majority of candidates are going to come from universities that also have that requirement.

Reactions: rose0904, Rob93 and tt_xo

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Have lots of people heard from Travers??
I feel like I may have got a PFO, checked for the email in my special “PFO you loser” file, lol, and it wasn’t there.
I am now genuinely worried I dreamed the PFO from stress and haven’t actually heard anything at all … delirium is setting in early this cycle 😐

Reactions: John Travoni

N_Law

Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 9, 2020
Where do you find this information?
Just to clarify, I am not sure if this is the correct addressee. I looked up the names of the graduate recruitment team, and a few people came up.

In an earlier comment I think Kathryn Edwards was mentioned, but I am not sure if that is right. If anyone knows please let me know!

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    I feel like I may have got a PFO, checked for the email in my special “PFO you loser” file, lol, and it wasn’t there.
    I am now genuinely worried I dreamed the PFO from stress and haven’t actually heard anything at all … delirium is setting in early this cycle 😐
    I haven't heard back from them either but the deadline was 17 Jan so I would just hold tight and wait patiently (easier said than done - I know!).

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Can you apply for direct TCS without previously having a vacation scheme?
    You can. However most law firms hire predominantly from VS candidates and most GR teams state to only apply for direct TC if you cannot do a VS or have a decent amount of legal work experience. It’s more of a risk for a law firm as a VS gives them an extended time frame to assess you and see how you work and fit with the firm.

Reactions: Rob93 and CF12345

CF12345

Distinguished Member
    Dec 6, 2020
    You can. However most law firms hire predominantly from VS candidates and most GR teams state to only apply for direct TC if you cannot do a VS or have a decent amount of legal work experience. It’s more of a risk for a law firm as a VS gives them an extended time frame to assess you and see how you work and fit with the firm.
    Thank you so much!

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    Can you apply for direct TCS without previously having a vacation scheme?
    You could but I'd say some legal experience is for the most part expected- it doesn't have to be a formal vacation scheme but has to be some experience where the tasks you completed were legal tasks. For example at a Linklaters Grad Recruitment Event they said that they would like to see 3-4 weeks of legal experience. Some firms are quite clear on their websites that they'd like to see legal experience whilst others do not explicitly say so. I think if you applied for a direct training contract without legal experience you would need to be able to clearly demonstrate why you desire to pursue a career in commercial law given that you haven't had any work experience to confirm it. Hope that makes sense :)

Reactions: Rob93 and CF12345

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    I remember seeing on their Instagram story a while back where they mentioned they would get back to people by mid-February so stay positive 🙂

therealellewoods

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 20, 2022
    I think they said they’d be getting back to people in feb so I definitley wouldn’t worry yet

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.