TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MH

Star Member
Jan 12, 2022
Sorry to hear that too. Also my pfo came through, part of the response was "We appreciate you taking the time to apply to our programme and understand that applying for roles and programmes can be very time consuming. We therefore encourage you to submit an application for our 2023 Summer Internship Programme, but to do so much earlier than on this occasion."

anyone got similar? wondering if this is part of their automatic response
I got this aswell and applied on the deadline lol so they have a point

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
Dec 11, 2021
So for Bristows there was a past interview question with soemthjng along the lines of “If you see opposing counsel with case files open on the train for all to see what would you do”. Sorry if a dumb q, but I am actually completely unsure as to whether or not you should report this and to who??

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Would not worry if you passed the WG as long as you got a VI!

Congrats to the VI and wish you best of luck.
    No the weird thing is that I got an email from graduate recruitmemnt whose name I know said that I got rejected post WG. I wanted to know should I start preparing for VI or should I contact gradusate recruitment. Also I know they won't reply until Monday and plus I don't want to waste 2 days doing nothing.

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Does anyone have any idea how Taylor Wessing coordinate their assessment centres? For instance, are they organised chronologically or grouped on degrees of risk taking from the Arctic Shores test, or something else?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just following up on the conversation about pre-employment checks from earlier, I'm wondering how much detail is required? I read that it can take ages. Like, are firms going to want references from the university societies that I put down as voluntary experience? And when firms do check paid employment, do they just email your former company and say 'candidate said they had x role and did y, is this true?' Or something like that? I'd appreciate your insight into this @Jessica Booker
    University societies are not employment so wouldn’t be checked. Anything that is employment will be though (and as throughly as can be).

Employment references are dates employed, job title and that you weren’t found to have committed anything related to misconduct.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Also the email about my VI invite for Baker McKenzie on my my application portal that email does not show up on my application portal as usually when you get an application update that email usually gets sent to the application portal. I am confused whether it is an admin error or if I actually got a VI invite.

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    So for Bristows there was a past interview question with soemthjng along the lines of “If you see opposing counsel with case files open on the train for all to see what would you do”. Sorry if a dumb q, but I am actually completely unsure as to whether or not you should report this and to who??
    Not a “dumb” question at all!

I would report it to the lead partner/associate on the case. I’m not an expert on the SRA guidelines but I’m pretty sure as a trainee/solicitor you have to act with integrity & honesty so reporting it to the relevant contact on the case would probably be what I would do.

Reactions: aspiringlawyer123_

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    This is fun because a firm - not bristows - had a big scandal with their associates running their mouths about trainee applications on the train.

As a rule if you become privy to any relevant confidential info on the train - internal or external - you report that either to your direct report or to anyone within the firm to whom that function is designated.

In the hypo you gave, the point isn't to tattle - it's that a potential breach of oppo's privilege has arisen and you could have a mistrial if it later arises that your side was even potentially unduly privy to oppo planning. You're not just protecting like justice and principle by disclosing, you're protecting the credibility of your own case.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.