TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
Dec 11, 2021
This is fun because a firm - not bristows - had a big scandal with their associates running their mouths about trainee applications on the train.

As a rule if you become privy to any relevant confidential info on the train - internal or external - you report that either to your direct report or to anyone within the firm to whom that function is designated.

In the hypo you gave, the point isn't to tattle - it's that a potential breach of oppo's privilege has arisen and you could have a mistrial if it later arises that your side was even potentially unduly privy to oppo planning. You're not just protecting like justice and principle by disclosing, you're protecting the credibility of your own case.
Thanks this is super helpful!

Reactions: GXA123
A

AspiringIPLawyer

Hi, how long after applying did anyone get an invite to do the online assessment for Fieldfisher direct TC? I have applied today (on the deadline!) and received an email acknowledging my application but no test invite yet/mention of a test. Does anyone know if the assessment is automatic? TIA 😊

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    For employment checks, will firms contact the work experience companies listed on their own accord, or ask candidates to provide a reference as a point of contact?
    There’ll be a portal (this is the case with vero) and you log in and input all the info of where you’ve lived, your jobs etc

Reactions: Rob93

Trying4aJob

Standard Member
    Jan 19, 2022
    There’ll be a portal (this is the case with vero) and you log in and input all the info of where you’ve lived, your jobs etc
    I've been told I have a place on a VS by phone call, but have heard nothing back since. I was wondering if that's because they're doing employment checks or will they ask me to provide references

M&Amakesmyday

Star Member
    Oct 30, 2021
    Chances vary but are nontrivial, which is why they have the list. A firm like JD will have made offers to a lot of candidates who have several other offers, some of which will conflict and in some cases JD will not be the candidates' first choice.

Huge to have made it that far, so congrats and I'll cross my fingers for you - it ain't over til it's over.
    So much love for you. Thank you for your positive response

• 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I've been told I have a place on a VS by phone call, but have heard nothing back since. I was wondering if that's because they're doing employment checks or will they ask me to provide references
    They'll need to collect a bunch of info from you and get consent for checks, they don't just like, run it off of your app information then tell you after

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    No, you would have to consent to screening and be given the chance to submit your info for them to check

Reactions: Rob93
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.