TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mome101

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 30, 2021
    Just got Debevoise Waitlist (idk how to feel). Does anyone with previous experience have any idea what the chances of being bumped to attending the open day from the waitlist are?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just got Debevoise Waitlist (idk how to feel). Does anyone with previous experience have any idea what the chances of being bumped to attending the open day from the waitlist are?
    The chances are going to be so varied based on individual circumstances at that time. A good chance with the firm in the previous cycle doesn’t necessarily mean it will be a good chance this cycle.

By operating a waiting list, there clearly is a chance though, and that’s the positive to focus on.

therealellewoods

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 20, 2022
    Quick question for anyone with experience with Vero (background checks). Do they use the work experience section as part of the application as the starting point to know who to contact/breakdown of your responsibilities or do you give them a separate breakdown? Asking because I made a small mistake regarding dates in my work experience section (regarding the year of the work experience, not duration) and am a little scared this might be an issue. @Jessica Booker would you have any thoughts on this? Thank you!
    Hi! This is really bad but they couldn't verify two of my work experiences (idk why) and kept calling me for extra detail etc so they could, but life got in the way and plus this relates to my current role I'm not that bothered about so I didn't treat it w much urgency (bad I know) and they ended up after like three months just asking me to sign a statement saying I worked in those places. Not to say you should do that by any means but I think it's just a formality tbh and they will not penalise you for accidentally putting the wrong dates down etc. Disclaimer -- at least in my experience

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Thank you! And yes of course, I would never say it was naff in an interview. Could I ask you how you answered that question? I know it would be personal for everyone, but I don't want really want to just say 'I found it quite difficult to understand'.
    For me answering this question took honest reflection on why my performance had been lower than expected and out of line with my other grades. it would have been easy to blame the fact it was a closed book exam in June when then teaching ended in December but that wasn't the real issue. I answered by saying what that was so for me it was a fault with my approach to the module, it was an interdisciplinary module shared across a couple of courses focused in a very particular area of law so the exam was very different to a typical law module. I made the mistake of approaching it purely from a legal perspective without looking at the wider picture, my revision was heavily focused on learning the statute and cases and application of the law whereas the exam was more interested in theory and approaches and the societal impact of this area of law. I didn't look at the bigger picture. I then turned this into a positive by saying I now do not make this mistake and look at the aims of a task. I draw analogies to my work where on the face of it one clause in a contract in the individual may look disadvantageous but when taken int he whole of the contract it may be more positive or less of problem compared with the alternative which is not having a contract signed at all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.