TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjlm25

Junior Lawyer
Dec 29, 2020
Hi all,
Would anyone be happy to share their experience of the Dechert written exercise & video interview? I've got a booking for the written exercise on the 18th and don't really know what to expect.
Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Quick question for anyone with experience with Vero (background checks). Do they use the work experience section as part of the application as the starting point to know who to contact/breakdown of your responsibilities or do you give them a separate breakdown? Asking because I made a small mistake regarding dates in my work experience section (regarding the year of the work experience, not duration) and am a little scared this might be an issue. @Jessica Booker would you have any thoughts on this? Thank you!
It’s actually both.

You have to provide the details for employers but this is checked against your application form.

Mistakes happen, but how much of an issue this is depends on what the error is and your explanation for why this mistake happened.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey! sorry for being unclear, I guess I'm just wondering how they are generally assessed, is it the interviewers choosing who to invite? Do they communicate with grad rec who decides? Are the written application and psychometric tests considered? How does the written assessment factor in etc. I guess I'd just like to know a bit more about the process of evaluating candidates. Thank you!
It’s generally graduate recruitment deciding who is invited to AC. Sometimes there are a small panel of associates or partners who may screen applications, but this is rare. Even in those circumstances, it’s unlikely the people who invited you will be the people who interview/assess you.

If you mean who is offered off the back of an AC, then it is rarely one person’s assessment of you that does this. You are usually scored and the people with the highest scores are offered. As there are multiple assessments (and usually multiple competencies in each assessment), decisions are typically made holistically. Certain assessors might back you (or try to veto against you) but a decision is typically made by graduate recruitment, alongside other candidates’ performances.

Every assessment has its purpose and is important - if they weren’t important, they wouldn’t include them. You generally need to perform well in all assessments, although in certain circumstances one performance in an individual competency might be balanced out by a stronger performance in the same competency but in a different exercise.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Strategically speaking, is it better to apply to the London office or other regional office of a firm for better chances at a TC? Regional offices have less vacancies but I assume they have less applicants as well.
It really doesn’t work like this, and I would strongly advise not to factor this into your decision making. Most firms have had decades of applicants trying to game the system and apply to what they perceive to be less popular locations, and then try to move to another location at either offer stage or even during a TC/upon qualification. It more often than not doesn’t work.

It’s why many firms with regional offices put a very heavy emphasis on “why this location”, both in application forms and in recruitment processes.

Firms will see right through you if this is your approach. Only because thousands of applicants have already tried it before you.

cycw

Star Member
Jan 31, 2022
Guys I have still not heard from Latham and their deadline was 2nd January and applied on new year eve. Do you lot think I should email them about an update on my application or is it early. I am asking as I have never had experience with Latham application and when is the last VI they send out.
fyi I've heard back and they've rejected me

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I want to thank everyone on the forum for the support they have provided over this cycle, especially @James Carrabino and @AvniD for the AC tips they gave me last week. Also, to the many people who have replied my DMs and quoted my posts with the most encouraging words, I really appreciate it. I heard back from Weil today and was offered a VS. I also heard back from Baker McKenzie last week with a Spring VS offer. This time last week, I was crying because I had been rejected from a final round interview (non-VS related) so things can always turnaround. That's the end of the application cycle for me! I applied to 6 firms, received 4 rejections and 2 ACs.

I'd appreciate if anyone can link me to any forums related to converting a VS to a TC. If anyone has an upcoming AC with Bakers for Summer VS or an AC with Weil, feel free to message me and I will do my best to help!
I am so happy for you @summer207! What a show- very, very well deserved!

Your journey quite perfectly elaborates on the ups and downs that come with making training contract applications- the blows hit hard but those few wins seemingly undo the unpleasantness of any rejections.

Wishing you the very best in your vacation schemes and hoping for you to land a TC at the end of them 🤞🤞🤞

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
For sure! Totally agree with your point. I think it's simply because at the moment, I'm studying my MA, working two jobs whilst looking for another because I need a job change, and just trying to keep on top of everything. Very overwhelming, but just taking my time with applications!
Please do keep us in the loop and tag us in your posts here on the forum if we can help with anything- we'd love to be there to support you as you manage your many priorities and go through the application process! Wishing you the very best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.