TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
What are the main differences between a case study interview and a scenario-based interview?
A case study interview will (most likely) be commercial in nature. E.g.: you will be given a pack of documents to analyse about whether a company should pursue a certain acquisition or raise finance by a certain means, etc. Then you'll be asked to make a presentation on your findings, which will be followed by an interview on the same.

A scenario-based interview will most likely involve situational questions. E.g.: "Your colleague is struggling to finish a task that is due for an important transaction . . . but you are quite busy yourself . . . what would you do in this case?" - these types of questions.

See @emilyrose99's response below for scenario based questions!

Last edited:

emilyrose99

Star Member
Nov 3, 2018
A case study interview will (most likely) be commercial in nature. E.g.: you will be given a pack of documents to analyse about whether a company should pursue a certain acquisition or raise finance by a certain means, etc. Then you'll be asked to make a presentation on your findings, which will be followed by an interview on the same.

A scenario-based interview will most likely involve situational questions. E.g.: "Your colleague is struggling to finish a task that is due for an important transaction . . . but you are quite busy yourself . . . what would you do in this case?" - these types of questions.

I agree with you on the case study, I think the scenario is quite different though.

My understanding of scenario based interviews is you will be presented with some background e.g. business x wants to diversify into y industry - how do you go about doing this? And then you end up having a chat and going down all these different avenues, more of a discussion than the case study-style presentation/interview

Thats what I understand from speaking with people anyway

Last edited:

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
Dec 11, 2021
I agree with you on the case study, I think the scenario is quite different though.

My understanding of scenario based interviews are you will be presented with some background e.g. business x wants to diversify into y industry - how do you go about looking for a target? And then you end up having a chat and going down all these different avenues, more of a discussion than the case study-style presentation/interview

I agree I think the “your colleague is slacking what do you do” is situational based.

In my experience, scenario is a discussion of what you would do in business scenario. Then case study is information given, read it and present it/write up about it.

But it’s worth doing research on the firm to see what their scenario interview is specifically.

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020

My understanding of scenario based interviews are you will be presented with some background e.g. business x wants to diversify into y industry - how do you go about looking for a target? And then you end up having a chat and going down all these different avenues, more of a discussion than the case study-style presentation/interview

I agree I think the “your colleague is slacking what do you do” is situational based.

In my experience, scenario is a discussion of what you would do in business scenario. Then case study is information given, read it and present it/write up about it.

But it’s worth doing research on the firm to see what their scenario interview is specifically.

Yes guys I agree - and my apologies I seem to have confused scenario-based questions with situational questions

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
For M&A case studies should we just focus on the client/parties directly engaged in the transaction or do we need to bring in the law firm somehow (where the law firm listed in the case study scenario is not fictional but the firm you are applying to)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.