TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCN

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 20, 2020
For M&A case studies should we just focus on the client/parties directly engaged in the transaction or do we need to bring in the law firm somehow (where the law firm listed in the case study scenario is not fictional but the firm you are applying to)?
When going through an M&A case study, it would be good to also have a think about the law firm practice areas as that would trigger your memory into thinking about what other issues could impact the deal besides the ones you're told about. For example, if you remember the competition team, you will consider whether the deal would be stopped by the competition regulations, or if you remember the real estate team, you could think about how the deal could impact assets

And then from that, if you recognise legal issues, you should also present legal solutions and that's when you can bring in the law firm especially if you're acting as if you already work there at the firm by saying something along the lines of and "X firm's real estate team would be able to assist in Y capacity"

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    When going through an M&A case study, it would be good to also have a think about the law firm practice areas as that would trigger your memory into thinking about what other issues could impact the deal besides the ones you're told about. For example, if you remember the competition team, you will consider whether the deal would be stopped by the competition regulations, or if you remember the real estate team, you could think about how the deal could impact assets

And then from that, if you recognise legal issues, you should also present legal solutions and that's when you can bring in the law firm especially if you're acting as if you already work there at the firm by saying something along the lines of and "X firm's real estate team would be able to assist in Y capacity"
    this is really good advice here! :)

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    My AC isnt until the 16th and was the last slot I had available to book for. I would assume that they will shortlist once they are all complete but I will ask when I have the opportunity so will let you know

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Anyone who has done it, do you know when we might hear back? I forgot to ask!

My AC isnt until the 16th and was the last slot I had available to book for. I would assume that they will shortlist once they are all complete but I will ask when I have the opportunity so will let you know
    Last slot available that I could book for london was the 17th so again I would assume after then.

Reactions: kr253

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Yes guys I agree - and my apologies I seem to have confused scenario-based questions with situational questions
    I think you’re all correct, it just depends on what the firm calls it. I’ve been in an AC where the partner called it a scenario-based question and gave the “you’re the last person in the office, the client calls asking…” type of question. But this was not the bulk of the type of interview questions asked.

On the other hand, firms like HSF have scenario-based interviews along the lines of what @emilyrose99 described.

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021

Thank you!

letmeintolaw

Distinguished Member
    Nov 11, 2021
    @Jessica Booker
    Really need advice! I have an upcoming AC, and if successful this will lead to final interviews either on 28th Feb or 1st March. However, I have just found out that I am unable to make either of those dates due to a funeral.
    Is there any chance that the firm would let me reschedule the interview? I would literally be able to interview on any day other than those two, and missing the funeral is not an option. If you think the firm would be willing to give me a different interview date, when would be the best time to ask this - preliminarily before the AC so they are made aware or after if I am offered an interview? Thank you

JSM123

Star Member
    Oct 11, 2021
    Yep! They’re swell - I would recommend getting in touch with grad recruitment. I did and they set up a one on one call with me. It was really helpful in getting to learn about the firm and its culture.
    They're a really nice firm and the vacation scheme is a great learning experience - the workshops were invaluable in developing my legal knowledge as a non-law student. I would caution that if a TC is your ultimate goal they only offer 1 TC from the 10 or so vac schemers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.