TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
hi team, hoping for some advice / a pick me up.

just had a brutal post-VI rejection from my top choice law firm, and have an exam starting in an hour. does anyone have any tips on how to quickly sort my mindset out so i don't screw the exam?
Go for a walk and enjoy a flat white. Rejections stink but are not meant to be forever..I was rejected 3 times before landing my current role!
Believe that things will come to you at your best time and can transform them into the most unbelievable experience.

lisa0410

Feb 6, 2020
Has anyone ever seen/heard of associates switching practice areas after they're qualified? Probably more so within the same field e.g. M&A to capital markets, as opposed to a drastic change like M&A to arbitration. Do you qualify as a solicitor generally, or as a solicitor in a specific practice area? I feel like the idea of staying in one area for the rest of my career is daunting, what if I don't like it anymore lol
My sister was a shipping lawyer (4 years PQE) and then became a family lawyer! I also have a colleague who was a family lawyer and switched to employment law when she was 2 years PQE). So it is possible

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell and LEL

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021

just had a brutal post-VI rejection from my top choice law firm, and have an exam starting in an hour. does anyone have any tips on how to quickly sort my mindset out so i don't screw the exam?
Music really helps me! There’s also strong evidence that it can calm us and heighten positive emotions :)

Listen to something that makes you feel like the boss sauce that you are!

gdelle

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2022

Very cheesy, but if you are the kind of person who has some go-to music... that could help when pressed for time? Found that it still works recently myself after not using it since my more athletic days - quickly pushes me into a more positive, "fighting" mood!

Edit: had not seen Adrian_S's reply when I posted. Looks like music is a strong contender.

ap28

Aug 12, 2021
    Before you start answering a question, think of the role you assumed in your team. Were you a listener, a leader, someone who challenged others to think of better solutions, someone who drew up a vision or was better at executing it etc.

Once you've understood the role you were in, move on to stating the context in which you were working in a team (group project at school/work, competition etc.) ➡️ explain your task and role ➡️ walk the reader through your process in executing your tasks (why you chose to do something, what worked and what didn't, what you didn't when something didn't work etc.)➡️ summarise both the outcome of your individual efforts and the overall outcome for the team.

I hope this helps!
    This is exactly the type of guidance I was looking for, thank you so much!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.