TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tt_xo

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 20, 2020
Guys I just got an email from Travers Smith this morning.

Dear Asil

Thank you for your application for a summer scheme.

We apologise for the delay in getting back to you but due to the volume of applications the process is taking longer than anticipated. We hope to be in touch in the next few weeks.

Yours sincerely,

So there is still hope.
I feel like Travers should either go rolling, or move their deadline closer to just after the new year. As a student, it just feels a little too close to exams with AC's being in mid later March, not sure how other students feel about it?

Last edited:

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020

Dear Asil

We apologise for the delay in getting back to you but due to the volume of applications the process is taking longer than anticipated. We hope to be in touch in the next few weeks.

Yours sincerely,

So there is still hope.
Just got the same.

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
bobs burgers tina GIF

My reaction to Travers email this AM giving a very nice “we’ll be with you in a few weeks” update 💀

MH

Star Member
Jan 12, 2022

Dear Asil

Yours sincerely,

So there is still hope.
Received this also

Jellybelly829

Jan 23, 2022
Hey @WiseOwl,

Thank you for the question and for reaching out. Given everything that has been said on this by the team already, I do not have much to add. Just wanted to let you know I have seen this!

Feel free to tag me in future though as I would be delighted to help.

Hey @rb26,

Unfortunately I do not have any experience of GT, so I cannot help directly with your query.

My advice would be to use the forum's search bar functionality if you have not already (searching "Greenberg" looks promising for example!). By doing this you might be able to identify some users who have posted about their interview process on the forum previously and reach out to them directly via PM.

Very happy to help with some general interview tips if that would be helpful!

Hey @TCApp2021,

This is a great question. I think there are three ways of doing this:

1. Have you taken a look at Travers' entry in Chambers & Partners? If you take a look at where the firm is strongest in London, consider the firms that are in the same band as them in these areas. For example, under "Corporate/M&A: Mid-Market in London (Firms)", the other firms listed in Band 1 are DLA Piper and Macfarlanes. TheLegal500's entry for Travers (and going through the same process with reference to their Tier ranking system) may also be useful for this.

2. Consider recent deals that Travers have publicly spoken about. This method can be hit and miss. I actually took a look through several deals that they recently publicised on their website (e.g., The Access Group on its acquisition of Vincere, Brown & Brown, Inc. on its acquisition of BDB and InstaVolt on its acquisition by EQT Infrastructure) but had little success in finding the opposing counsel for any of these deals.

This method can be a little misleading. Some companies will have a go-to counsel who may not work with (in this case) Travers very often, so it would be wrong to call them a key competitor more broadly despite them working with the firm on a particular occasion.

3. Reach out to (future) trainees/associates on LinkedIn who work at/have experience of Travers and ask them about their experience of the firm. this approach is a really great way of learning about a firm in a way that is difficult to do by digesting their GR literature.

@WiseOwl, looking at the deal teams of particular deals and reaching out to members of that team to see if they would be willing to discuss it (albeit most likely in broad strokes) might be a great way of demonstrating your curiosity and enthusiasm for a firm/deal (especially if you wish to discuss this at interview). If you were to do this though, I would make sure that you are very comfortable speaking about it and the relevant industry/commercial context.

I hope that helps @TCApp2021 🚀

Hey @Jellybelly829,

I know others have replied to this, but I think it would be best for you to wait until you hear back now. I think it would be inadvisable to ask to resubmit your CV at this stage personally!

Please do let me know when you do hear back. I interviewed (twice) with Slaughters and would be more than happy to help where I can.

Hey @Zubin,

Congratulations on the AC!

It might be helpful to take a look at my advice for @rb26 above about using the search bar functionality on the forum (if you have not already!). I am sure there will be some content on the forum that would be helpful.

Very happy to point you towards some of our resources on interviews more broadly too. Just let me know if you would find that useful :)

Hey @gkadh03,

Awesome news on the being invited to Goodwin's WE. I would suggest as above taking a look through the forum using the search bar, just in case others have spoken about their experience previously on the forum.

In terms of more general advice, here is some fantastic evergreen content from the community which I hope might be helpful:
  1. @James Carrabino's thoughtful and thorough list of issues to consider when completing a WE
  2. A basic structure to employ when writing a WE
  3. @Jessica Booker's words of wisdom for WEs
  4. @SLKEJRWOI97's thoughts on WEs
Let me know if you would like any further help with this!

Hey @AB,

Congratulations for getting progressed to an AC with Macfarlanes! I empathise with your nervousness. I felt anxious before each of my interviews.

The biggest thing to remember is that the firm has invited you for a reason and that you really can only do your best. So channel that anxiety and make sure that you make the most of this opportunity because you really can do it.

Do take a look at my advice above about using the search bar functionality and at my reply to @gkadh03 above regarding WE resources from the forum too.

If it would be helpful I am very happy to point you towards some general AC resources. Just let me know if that would be useful🤙
Hi George, I sent you a private message but unsure if you will be able to respond there! i have my interview coming up next week, if you had any key tips/advice for the day that would be amazing! Thank you so much

Reactions: George Maxwell

22.m

Jan 17, 2022
Any advice would be appreciated...

I had an AC 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. They didn't give an indication of timeframe during the AC, and I didn't ask. If I am successful, and they ask me to do the Spring scheme, it starts in just over a month. I have already accepted another scheme in the Spring, and whilst there isn't a clash, to complete both in April I would have to take a significant amount of time out of my studies (3 weeks).

Is this grounds to email the firm I'm waiting on to ask when I might hear back? If so, would mentioning I have another offer be detrimental. I don't want it to come across as though I'm trying to pressure them or anything, it will be genuinely beneficial for me to know as soon as possible.

Thank you guys :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Any advice would be appreciated...

I had an AC 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. They didn't give an indication of timeframe during the AC, and I didn't ask. If I am successful, and they ask me to do the Spring scheme, it starts in just over a month. I have already accepted another scheme in the Spring, and whilst there isn't a clash, to complete both in April I would have to take a significant amount of time out of my studies (3 weeks).

Is this grounds to email the firm I'm waiting on to ask when I might hear back? If so, would mentioning I have another offer be detrimental. I don't want it to come across as though I'm trying to pressure them or anything, it will be genuinely beneficial for me to know as soon as possible.

Thank you guys :)
Call them - its not an issue to do so and explain you are trying to balance your time with other schemes and academic commitments.

Reactions: 22.m

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How long do law firms generally give you to accept a TC offer following a vac scheme? :)
Depends on the firm and also what stage of your academics you are at.

There is a voluntary "code of best recruitment practice" that says you should get 4 weeks to accept (unless the start date of the TC is imminent) if you are in your final year of your undergraduate degree or beyond, and that if you are in your penultimate year you should get until mid September as you go into your final year of your undergraduate degree.

The code is completely voluntary though and so many firms don't abide by it and will ask you to accept within days of receiving the offer.

Reactions: A92167!8

A92167!8

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 6, 2020
I have 2 vacation schemes (was thinking for firm A dates 6-18 June and firm B 18-29 July). I don't know how long firm A give people to accept a TC offer and I'm stressed about the possibility (I know this is very forward thinking) that I do get an offer from firm A and they only give a few weeks to make the decision as this would be before I complete firm B's vacation scheme.

I'm not really sure what to do @Jessica Booker. Firm B have earlier dates of 20 June - July but I'm still worried about a similar thing happening if firm A only give a couple weeks decision time. Is it worth contacting firm A to ask them how long they give (I'm worried about this looking bad).

Just to add I am a graduate who is currently working atm.

Last edited:
Reactions: deckoking123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have 2 vacation schemes (was thinking for firm A dates 6-18 June and firm B 18-29 July). I don't know how long firm A give people to accept a TC offer and I'm stressed about the possibility (I know this is very forward thinking) that I do get an offer and they only give a few weeks to make the decision as this would be before I complete firm B's vacation scheme.

I'm not really sure what to do @Jessica Booker. Firm B have earlier dates of 20 June - July but I'm still worried about a similar thing happening if firm A only give a couple weeks decision time. Is it worth contacting firm A to ask them how long they give (I'm worried about this looking bad).

Just to add I am a graduate who is currently working atm.
This happens every year to lots of people - I’d advise not to worry about it. But there is no need to contact the firm at this stage - I’ll be frank that is getting very ahead of yourself.

If and when this happens, you can:

1) ask the firm for an extension of your offer and they could offer you this.

2) you accept the offer and then renege it at a later date if you get another offer that you prefer (you’d just need to be mindful if there is an expectation you start your law school in the September of 2022, your onboarding for that could start as early as July though).

Reactions: AvniD

A92167!8

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 6, 2020
This happens every year to lots of people - I’d advise not to worry about it. But there is no need to contact the firm at this stage - I’ll be frank that is getting very ahead of yourself.

If and when this happens, you can:

1) ask the firm for an extension of your offer and they could offer you this.

2) you accept the offer and then renege it at a later date if you get another offer that you prefer (you’d just need to be mindful if there is an expectation you start your law school in the September of 2022, your onboarding for that could start as early as July though).
Thank you! Are you allowed to renege after accepting a TC offer? I think part of the reason I'm getting ahead of myself is because I thought might not be able to / get into trouble

And 2) do you think it is a better idea to do the dates which are closer together to avoid any issues? Those would be Firm A 6-18 June and Firm B 20 June - 1 July, rather than a month gap between them.

Civ457

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2022
If you are still waiting for places post online tests/ getting holding emails is that a bad sign at this stage? It is my first application cycle so I don't know whether to just prepare myself for PFOs from the places I haven't heard back from yet (I already know that the firms have sent out some AC offers too)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you! Are you allowed to renege after accepting a TC offer? I think part of the reason I'm getting ahead of myself is because I thought might not be able to / get into trouble

And 2) do you think it is a better idea to do the dates which are closer together to avoid any issues? Those would be Firm A 6-18 June and Firm B 20 June - 1 July, rather than a month gap between them.
Yes - you can renege on an offer easily. The only time it will become an issue is if you are taking any form of financial support from the firm, and that includes you being signed up to the GDL/LPC/SQE courses. As soon as onboarding processes for those courses happen, if the firm is paying for it directly, you may be liable for those costs (even if you don’t start the course).

I don’t think it will make any difference which dates you go for in all honesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.