TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
for questions like 'why this firm' and 'why do you want to be a lawyer' do I need to prepare different answers than the ones I have written in my cover letter? or is it alright that I expand on them?
I've always expanded on my answers but never been successful so I'm just wondering.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)
This is going to vary from firm to firm. Sometimes I expand and use the same one - this is in interviews where the person interviewing me hasn’t actually seen my application or where the application gives me ample space to actually give all the reasons however usually it has such a short word count you can’t get it all in!

Otherwise my answer starts with alongside the reasons mentioned in my application or my main motivation has been stated in the application but additional motivators are as follows and then I list an additional reason or reasons.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
has anyone got any advice for answering 'why you/what makes you stand out?' in an interview?
The best answers to this question are often those that are able to capture what makes you you. Most people who apply for TCs have decent grades, some work and volunteer experience, some internships and/or some university society experience. While these are things you do, they don't necessarily capture the essence of who you are.

You'll need to reflect on your personality and figure what those things are that you identify yourself with- it could be your creativity, resilience, ability to take initiative, ability to uplift your team members, enthusiasm, willingness to try new things etc.

Once you've figured out your USP, you now need to structure it within the context of the firm. Find those 2-3 qualities that most align with the firm's ethos and vision and then try your best to demonstrate this alignment in your answer.

A structure I'd recommend is to state you character trait/quality ➡️ talk about how you developed it and how you apply it in your life ➡️ link it with the firm's culture/vision/ethos/trainee characteristics to demonstrate your suitability to work at the firm.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
for questions like 'why this firm' and 'why do you want to be a lawyer' do I need to prepare different answers than the ones I have written in my cover letter? or is it alright that I expand on them?
I've always expanded on my answers but never been successful so I'm just wondering.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
If you cannot find things to talk about that you haven't mentioned in your applications, always expand on what you have already covered by adding more detail, providing more context and digging deeper into your motivations. This requires a lot of off-application reflection on the things that are driving you to try and make it in this career, but once you put this effort in, your answers will undoubtedly make a greater impact than they did before.

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
I am in the very fortunate position of having been offered a VS yesterday and offered another VS today. However, the dates I have been offered for the VSs clash. I know one of the two firms is running multiple VSs this summer. Would it be rude to ask if they have space on the other dates so I can complete both VSs?
Not rude at all - we expect it!

SCN

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 20, 2020
Me distracting grad rec whilst you email everyone with TC and VS offers:

Season 2 Dancing GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Anyone up for this? ;)

Shia

Dec 16, 2020
Does anyone have any advice for the Osborne Clarke AC Stage 2? What entails the group exercise and how does the panel interview go about?

Quite nervous as I can't find much information so any advice would help!

Reactions: cr.02

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)
It honestly depends. Some interviews (especially ones by associates/partners) are cv blind interviews and therefore they generally will just listen to you without having anything in front of them. I have had interviews (but more with grad rec) where they are reading off your application. Even so, as long as you expand and don’t read it word for word - your answers aren’t going to change

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.