TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I always stress to people that they need to look at asking questions as the opposite way as most people approach them. Most people ask questions to try and impress in an interview, but my view is that this is your opportunity to ask the things that help you decide whether this is the right firm for you. Even if you are fairly sure this is the right firm for you, what would you want to ask the firm if you magically had five competitor offers on your desk? How would the questions help you decide that this firm is the one you want to choose over the other four?

Also, time has passed. Things do not stay constant. So you could ask about something the firm started doing/implementing/changing when you were there last summer - for instance, how is that progressing since you left the firm?

You could ask about their opinion on something - just because you have been told certain things, you haven't heard this person's opinion on a particular topic. As a lawyer, it is always good to try and look at things from different perspectives

You could ask about their experience in something - again, just because you were told something by someone else, doesn't necessarily mean it applies to everyone equally.
    I agree with this as I have done this oin many paralegal interviews by asking the interviewer about theoir experiences to impress them.

As I always thought the interviewer wanted to know what I know about them but thank you for this as I will keep this in mind next time.

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Okay so I’ve applied to a rather small firm for a summer vac scheme (held in May🤷‍♀️), and I received confirmation that they’re received my application on the 13th of Feb, but nothing further.
    When is it appropriate to send an email asking for an approximate timeline? I need to start planning time off work etc! Thanks! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

How would you recommend preparing for a written exercise at an AC?

Also, do you have any tips on preparing for the group exercise?
    I honestly have very little advice for preparing for group or written exercises. They are purposely designed so that preparing for them isn't needed or will have little impact.

My advice is more based on what you do during the exercise (rather than preparing beforehand).

Written exercise advice
    Negotiation exercises - not all group exercises are negotiations, but the general advice on here transfers across
    My general advice for group exercises/what is being assessed - here

• 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Just curious, how many VS do people normally secure in their first application cycle?
    personal observation from a top uni in London: 4 at max, mean/median 2, lots without offers.

I understand people may want to share that they've got many offers in their first cycle here, which is a massive achievement indeed (we love to hear those!), but it's worth knowing that this isn't necessarily "the normal". Personally I've received many ACs and offers, yes I put in the hard work and deserve them, but I'm very conscious that I'm in a privileged position (socio-economic, educational level, previous knowledge about the legal industry before applying, etc.) with quite a bit of luck. People who reads that it's "normal" or "very common" to secure 4 offers may start to blame themselves for "failing" to get any and lose confidence - so let's be realistic and considerate here when sharing such information.

I mean if you think about it statistically, a firm usually receives some 3000+ applications but has only 40-60 VS places (US firms with like 10 places). :)

Last edited:

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Just curious, how many VS do people normally secure in their first application cycle?
    In my case 0. I only got a VS in my third cycle but I felt my first cycle was a bit of a practice run! Other may have been preparing for ages to apply for their first cycle! It’s not really a quantifiable thing as it really depends on every candidate, their situation, motivation and abilities!

unserious candidate

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Agreed, thanks for letting us know and for being so subtle about it 😂
    I saw a few responses to the post stating a number - I assumed people were giving the figures from their first cycle to give OP a range of what’s possible. e.g. the post following mine saying they got 0 in their case. It goes without saying it’s multi factorial with luck being a big factor.
    Don’t be salty!

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    I saw a few responses to the post stating a number - I assumed people were giving the figures from their first cycle to give OP a range of what’s possible. e.g. the post following mine saying they got 0 in their case. It goes without saying it’s multi factorial with luck being a big factor.
    Don’t be salty!
    I’m not salty - I’ve also secured multiple VS. It just came across as insensitive, in my opinion.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    personal observation from a top uni in London: 4 at max, mean/median 2, lots without offers.

I understand people may want to share that they've got many offers in their first cycle here, which is a massive achievement indeed (we love to hear those!), but it's worth knowing that this isn't necessarily the "normal". Personally I've received many ACs and offers but I'm very conscious that I'm in a privileged position (socio-economic, educational level, previous knowledge about the legal industry before applying, etc.) with quite a bit of luck. People who reads that it's "normal" to secure 4 offers may start to blame themselves for "failing" to get any and lose confidence - so let's be realistic and considerate here when sharing such information.

I mean if you think about it statistically, a firm usually receives some 3000+ applications but has 40-60 VS places (US firms with like 10 places). :)
    I love this post so much what you said was spot on and I applaud you for this as some people can't get past the online application stage or the online test stage.

Also, for anyone before saying you got 4 VS offers think about how it can affect another person's mental health when they read that.

Also, I sometimes get the assumption that people in this forum who get multiple VS offers are from prestigious universities but we need to take a step back and think that everyone's journey is different and everyone has challenges they face in the application stage.

Finally most importantly talking about multiple VS offers be wary of how it can affect another person's mental health especially if it is your first application cycle and someone who has been applying for more than 32 cycles.

Sorry if I went on and said too much but this is my opinion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.