TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    I asked so many questions in my feedback call with ES last year! one of the best most useful feedbacks I've ever got! and got an offer for a VS this year. My tip ask as much as u can and make the most out of it.
    Thank you for this - super helpful! :)

Congratulations on your VS offer, that’s great to hear!

• Love
    Reactions: GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you very much for this.

Also, I wanted to ask something if it does not violate the TCLA rules. As you have reviewed a few applications for WBD application question what would you say about structuring this question or what do you say is the mistake that most people have made when approaching this question if you are allowed to provide guidance. I am sorry if I am not allowed to ask this.

I would appreciate some guidance if you are allowed to give guidance on the structure for this question and sorry for asking if you are not allowed.
    Questions like this are perfectly fine for the forums, so please do not worry.

700+ words is actually quite long for one answer, so clearly they are looking for detail in this. Given that, structure and flow of an answer will be important.

Usually there are multiple ways a firm could get involved with something - whether directly with the "project" itself, or indirectly via subsequent work it might create in the future. Try to ensure there is a logical flow if you are looking at this from multiple angles - sometimes answers can jump around a bit.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Questions like this are perfectly fine for the forums, so please do not worry.

700+ words is actually quite long for one answer, so clearly they are looking for detail in this. Given that, structure and flow of an answer will be important.

Usually there are multiple ways a firm could get involved with something - whether directly with the "project" itself, or indirectly via subsequent work it might create in the future. Try to ensure there is a logical flow if you are looking at this from multiple angles - sometimes answers can jump around a bit.

Also will it be good to mention that one of their clients could be involved in this project or suggest they pick up a new client to help support this project.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Had my first ever partner interview today and I can’t help but feel it went badly (even though it seemed fun and conversational at times). Despite rehearsing my answers and doing mock interviews over the last few weeks, I was thrown off by the way certain questions were phrased. Also, my nerves often got the better of me.

Does interviewing ever get easier? Is it just a matter of doing more ACs and getting used to the partner-style of questioning?

Sorry for all the questions - just feeling kinda low and not knowing what I should do to be prepared in the future.

Last edited:

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Had my first ever partner interview today and I can’t help but feel it went badly (even though it seemed fun and conversational at times). Despite rehearsing my answers and doing some mock interviews over the last several weeks, I was somewhat thrown off by the way certain questions were phrased. Also, my nerves got the better of me at certain points.

Does interviewing ever get easier? Is it just a matter of doing more ACs and getting used to the partner-style of questioning?

Sorry for all the questions - just feeling kinda low and not knowing what I should do to be prepared in the future.
    Honestly it is so so hard to judge your own interview performance, short of an absolute catastrophe occurring to make it obvious that it did not go well at all. Most people tend to judge themselves much harsher than those interviewing them. Things you might dwell over the interviewer may have hardly even noticed.

Case in point - the interview I thought went the best resulted in a rejection and the one I thought was the worst got me a VS offer.

Also I'm not sure partner-style questioning is a thing, at least there hasn't been anything consistent with the partner interviews I've attended! People interview differently and some are more conversational in style than others.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Honestly it is so so hard to judge your own interview performance, short of an absolute catastrophe occurring to make it obvious that it did not go well at all. Most people tend to judge themselves much harsher than those interviewing them. Things you might dwell over the interviewer may have hardly even noticed.

Case in point - the interview I thought went the best resulted in a rejection and the one I thought was the worst got me a VS offer.

Also I'm not sure partner-style questioning is a thing, at least there hasn't been anything consistent with the partner interviews I've attended! People interview differently and some are more conversational in style than others.

Thoughtful and helpful as always, Abii. Grateful for you!

• 🏆
    • 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell, djqb and Jaysen

amzey2

Star Member
    Jan 16, 2022
    Had my first ever partner interview today and I can’t help but feel it went badly (even though it seemed fun and conversational at times). Despite rehearsing my answers and doing some mock interviews over the last several weeks, I was somewhat thrown off by the way certain questions were phrased. Also, my nerves got the better of me at certain points.

From my experience, partner interviews are way less “scripted” and much more conversational. You can therefore expect much more follow-up questions. One advice would therefore be to know your answers fully; not just by memory but also by substance. I.e., if upon being asked why the firm you mention their expertise in x practice, also know why you want to be at a firm strong in x practice.

It does definitely get better down the road - mainly because you know what they want to know and you realise that at the end of the day the questions stem, not from them wanting to take you aback, but rather from them genuinely wanting to know more about you.

As a side-note, it does help knowing your answers by memory, but try not to sound too rehearsed as well - for example, if you are namedropping someone you’ve talked to at the firm, then maybe slide in something along the lines “you might actually know him/her - he/she sits in …”. Put simply, do show your interpersonal skills as well (not only is it one of the key skills a lawyer but it also shows that, over and above you being good at what you do, you’ll also be a great colleague.).

Hope that helps and good-luck for upcoming interviews!

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Completely agree with this!

1st cycle - 0 offers
    2nd cycle - 0 offers 1 AC
    3rd cycle - 3 offers had to reject one due to a clash but didn’t convert either VS to a TC
    4th cycle (now) - 1 offer
    Incredible resilience!! 🙌

me:

1st cycle = 1 ac 0 vs
    2nd cycle = 2 ac 1 vs no tc offer
    3rd cycle = 2 ac 1 vs no tc offer

now
    4th cycle = 1 vs

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    From my experience, partner interviews are way less “scripted” and much more conversational. You can therefore expect much more follow-up questions. One advice would therefore be to know your answers fully; not just by memory but also by substance. I.e., if upon being asked why the firm you mention their expertise in x practice, also know why you want to be at a firm strong in x practice.

It does definitely get better down the road - mainly because you know what they want to know and you realise that at the end of the day the questions stem, not from them wanting to take you aback, but rather from them genuinely wanting to know more about you.

As a side-note, it does help knowing your answers by memory, but try not to sound too rehearsed as well - for example, if you are namedropping someone you’ve talked to at the firm, then maybe slide in something along the lines “you might actually know him/her - he/she sits in …”. Put simply, do show your interpersonal skills as well (not only is it one of the key skills a lawyer but it also shows that, over and above you being good at what you do, you’ll also be a great colleague.).

Hope that helps and good-luck for upcoming interviews!

you lot are stars! no further interviews this cycle, but let’s see how my direct tc apps shake out. will see how i can incorporate some of the points you made. thank you for the time you took to craft that response :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Also will it be good to mention that one of their clients could be involved in this project or suggest they pick up a new client to help support this project.
    Yes, either or both approaches could be covered in the answer depending on the example you are using.

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Completely agree with this!

1st cycle - 0 offers
    2nd cycle - 0 offers 1 AC
    3rd cycle - 3 offers had to reject one due to a clash but didn’t convert either VS to a TC
    4th cycle (now) - 1 offer
    Just want to add thank you for the lovely messages those that have said thank you for expressing sometimes Vac schemes don’t always end up with an offer. To those who are asking me what I did wrong not to secure it please think before typing it’s very insensitive and I’ve had more messages why I haven’t converted it xx

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Had my first ever partner interview today and I can’t help but feel it went badly (even though it seemed fun and conversational at times). Despite rehearsing my answers and doing mock interviews over the last few weeks, I was thrown off by the way certain questions were phrased. Also, my nerves often got the better of me.

We are our own worst critics, so the interview may not have been as bad as you think! With rehearsing answers, you don’t want to do it to an extent that you sound scripted in the actual interview. Of course, your answers for why law and why the firm should be solid, but you genuinely cannot anticipate every question you’re going to be asked especially where it’s conversational and certain questions follow from a previous one.

Regarding nerves, I used to put a sticky note by my webcam reminding me to smile and that I’m capable. I thought it was corny so it actually kept me smiling in the interview. You may not get everything right but don’t let it affect your confidence for the rest of the interview. Also, humanising the process definitely helped me because the partners interviewing you (although experienced in their practice) are normal people. Nerves will definitely be expected but taking deep breaths before joining the call (or going into the interview room) and remembering how far you’ve come should help.

I’m not sure what you mean by partner-style of questioning but from my experience, it tends to be more conversational and flow from points you’ve made or something you mentioned in the application. My advice for this is prior to an interview, reflect on all your experiences (work-related, volunteering, extra-curricular, etc) and think about what you did, why you did it, what you enjoyed/didn’t enjoy, transferable skills, etc. If you can speak about any of your experiences substantively, you’re in a much better position to respond to a question even if it’s one you may not have prepared beforehand. I hope this helps!

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    We are our own worst critics, so the interview may not have been as bad as you think! With rehearsing answers, you don’t want to do it to an extent that you sound scripted in the actual interview. Of course, your answers for why law and why the firm should be solid, but you genuinely cannot anticipate every question you’re going to be asked especially where it’s conversational and certain questions follow from a previous one.

Regarding nerves, I used to put a sticky note by my webcam reminding me to smile and that I’m capable. I thought it was corny so it actually kept me smiling in the interview. You may not get everything right but don’t let it affect your confidence for the rest of the interview. Also, humanising the process definitely helped me because the partners interviewing you (although experienced in their practice) are normal people. Nerves will definitely be expected but taking deep breaths before joining the call (or going into the interview room) and remembering how far you’ve come should help.

I’m not sure what you mean by partner-style of questioning but from my experience, it tends to be more conversational and flow from points you’ve made or something you mentioned in the application. My advice for this is prior to an interview, reflect on all your experiences (work-related, volunteering, extra-curricular, etc) and think about what you did, why you did it, what you enjoyed/didn’t enjoy, transferable skills, etc. If you can speak about any of your experiences substantively, you’re in a much better position to respond to a question even if it’s one you may not have prepared beforehand. I hope this helps!

thank you so much. i’ve gone from feeling bad to feeling like I can do anything! (Loved the “corny” sticky note suggestions for VIs btw)

psr23

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 15, 2020
    I’ve been offered a new paralegal role and I have no idea whether I should take it or not! I’m currently at an international law firm, it’s probably the better name to have on my cv, but the role is kind of a dead end one and now that I’ve been doing it for a while, I’ve learnt everything I can and won’t grow much more. The new role is at a west end firm, the work is with less impressive clients and is probably a bit further removed from the sort of work city firms do. However, there’s more opportunity to gain experience across contentious & non-contentious work, so I think I’d learn more. I don’t know if I’m being ‘snobby’, but I’m worried the firm isn’t prestigious enough and there aren’t the TC opportunities that are available at my current firm. Would being at a west end firm harm my TC apps in anyway? I don’t know if I’m just being silly, being offered this role has come out of the blue so I don’t really know what to do! Any advice would be much appreciated 😊

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I’ve been offered a new paralegal role and I have no idea whether I should take it or not! I’m currently at an international law firm, it’s probably the better name to have on my cv, but the role is kind of a dead end one and now that I’ve been doing it for a while, I’ve learnt everything I can and won’t grow much more. The new role is at a west end firm, the work is with less impressive clients and is probably a bit further removed from the sort of work city firms do. However, there’s more opportunity to gain experience across contentious & non-contentious work, so I think I’d learn more. I don’t know if I’m being ‘snobby’, but I’m worried the firm isn’t prestigious enough and there aren’t the TC opportunities that are available at my current firm. Would being at a west end firm harm my TC apps in anyway? I don’t know if I’m just being silly, being offered this role has come out of the blue so I don’t really know what to do! Any advice would be much appreciated 😊
    This is exactly what you need to say I’m future interviews! And recruiters are gonna love it! It shows amazing skills. And it’s always fun to try something new :)

D

Deleted member 11671

If you don't have other competing roles at the moment, I don't see what harm it could do for your CV.

• Love
    Reactions: psr23
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.