TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I have a doctors appointment on Monday at the same time as I’m meant to be having an interview. It’s not an urgent medical issue but it would definitely be nice to get it sorted as soon as possible for peace of mind and comfort. The next available apppointment is mid April. Is this a reasonable enough reason to ask if the firm will reschedule my interview or will it reflect badly on me? Would really appreciate any advice
You could ask the firm whether you can reschedule your interview for the same day but at a different time explaining that it is difficult to get another doctor's appointment as you would need to wait a month. It should not reflect badly on you as this is a reasonable request. Conversely, you could ask your doctor to reschedule the appointment for another time on the same day if at all possible.

If you're not able to shift things around and your medical issue does not require urgent attention or it is something you could afford to go to a private doctor about if the need arises, I would be prepared to forego the medical appointment in favour of the interview.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Feeling weirdly excited for my call with @Jessica Booker later this afternoon.
I am always super excited for the calls - it's my favourite part of my role here!

(P.s. sorry if you were the one person I couldn't connect with today and that I had to reschedule on!)

• Love
  • 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Is anyone still waiting on: Mishcon, Freshfields, Travers and Stephenson Harwood post-app? I'm tempted to chase because some of these applications I sent in November/December?
    I am still waiting for Travers Smith.

Also wanted to ask is anyone still waiting for Gibson post-app and kin Gump post-WG.

Bestkid98

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 22, 2020
    How long do Travers Smith take to get back to you after interview? Do they decide after your interview or after they have held all of the interviews?
    It depends on the interviewing partner, I did my interview on Tuesday and heard word back on Thursday with an offer. Others did the interview a week before me and haven't heard back. It largely depends on how fast your interviewer will provide feedback to grad recruitment and if they want to give an offer or not. Hope that helps 😅

Reactions: IJ6238

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For WBD application it says 5000 characters how many words should I do as in google it said that is around 700-800 words. How many words has those done that are applying for WBD or have submitted their application for them in this cycle.

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    In feedback calls, do candidates have the opportunity to ask questions to GR? Or do you just take it all in while they talk at you sorta thing? I guess this may be firm dependent but interested to know! :)

jcm144

Standard Member
    Mar 15, 2022
    No in my AC grad rec said they will phone people in a random order :) and my portal didn't update
    I didn’t get it
    frown.png
    they said I was more of a maybe so I have to go up in autumn for a day at the office then apply for a training contract
    frown.png
    so disappointed but happy I get to have another go! Anyone else heard similar ?

• 🤝
    Reactions: show_me_the_tc and TC fiend

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    In feedback calls, do candidates have the opportunity to ask questions to GR? Or do you just take it all in while they talk at you sorta thing? I guess this may be firm dependent but interested to know! :)
    I asked so many questions in my feedback call with ES last year! one of the best most useful feedbacks I've ever got! and got an offer for a VS this year. My tip ask as much as u can and make the most out of it.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For WBD application it says 5000 characters how many words should I do as in google it said that is around 700-800 words. How many words has those done that are applying for WBD or have submitted their application for them in this cycle.
    From the recent WBD applications I have reviewed they were 725, 762 and 792 words.

kr253

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2021
    I've always had the opportunity to ask questions. Definitely make the most of it and plan what you want to ask ahead of time as I also always panic and forget everything 😂

Reactions: Nicole15

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    From the recent WBD applications I have reviewed they were 725, 762 and 792 words.
    Thank you very much for this.

Also, I wanted to ask something if it does not violate the TCLA rules. As you have reviewed a few applications for WBD application question what would you say about structuring this question or what do you say is the mistake that most people have made when approaching this question if you are allowed to provide guidance. I am sorry if I am not allowed to ask this.

I would appreciate some guidance if you are allowed to give guidance on the structure for this question and sorry for asking if you are not allowed.

Reactions: George Maxwell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.