TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I have to answer a question where I need to compare a firm with its competitors.
i identified some of the firm competitors and I can analyse their respective approach to certain practice areas. But what also should I consider? Their international strategy, their financial results?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I have to answer a question where I need to compare a firm with its competitors.
i identified some of the firm competitors and I can analyse their respective approach to certain practice areas. But what also should I consider? Their international strategy, their financial results?
I'd recommend comparing 2-4 things that stand out to you most about the firm. It could be their trainee intake/training contract structure, clientele, strategy, strength of practice areas- anything, really. Ensure you identify what the firm you're applying to does better than its competitors in your comparison to bring out how the firm stays competitive.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Is it conventional to include incoming vacation schemes in the work experience section of applications? If so, how should this be framed in the corresponding details/description section?
People do it all the time but I think it's a bit silly - you haven't done anything, you haven't gained any experience. That said, you *have* been vetted by grad rec somewhere and that serves as a shorthand to grad rec elsewhere that you're worth taking seriously. There's also the benefit of creating a sense of urgency as you will prospectively have other offers, but flipside is that the firm you're applying to will be less confident you'll sign with them for a TC. Would probably park it in 'other information' or similar because, again, getting through a recruitment process is not itself a work experience.

• ℹ️
Reactions: LawfulRust00

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
I'd recommend comparing 2-4 things that stand out to you most about the firm. It could be their trainee intake/training contract structure, clientele, strategy, strength of practice areas- anything, really. Ensure you identify what the firm you're applying to does better than its competitors in your comparison to bring out how the firm stays competitive.
This is a great answer and I think a key thing is focusing on the points that stand out to you most. Very easy to agonise over this kind of question ad nauseum - @Paul - Shearman & Sterling will have had the misfortune of reading my overwrought answers to this question on several occasions (sorry Paul) - and this tends to lead to worse or, at best, inauthentic answers. At best I think this question allows you to demonstrate firm/market knowledge and demonstrate how you think and what you care about. Easier said than done, but try to do that.

Reactions: S87

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
For the BCLP application question about who would, you would seek to build relationships with as a trainee.

I was going to discuss building relationships with both associates and your supervisor but my concern is that is your supervisor will be an associate or will that not always be the case.

I mean can you discuss building a relationship with both of them or will that repetitive.

I guess the question here is will a trainee's supervisor always be an associate or not it depends on the firm such as it can be a partner also.
Imo also mention relationships with support staff. As a paralegal at a US firm I get most of my work from associates, but trainees take on a lot of work that can be passed down - trainees can be uncomfortable with delegating, but I like to make the point that the chargeout is higher for trainees than paralegals so it's better for clients the more work is passed to the paralegal desks. It's likewise very sensible to delegate to assistants/secretaries, and any doc support staff. I imagine displaying a client-interest mentality is always a good shout.

Reactions: AspiringTrainee

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
For the BCLP application question about who would, you would seek to build relationships with as a trainee.

I was going to discuss building relationships with both associates and your supervisor but my concern is that is your supervisor will be an associate or will that not always be the case.

I mean can you discuss building a relationship with both of them or will that repetitive.

I guess the question here is will a trainee's supervisor always be an associate or not it depends on the firm such as it can be a partner also.
Ofc also good, if you can, to foster client relationships, and worth mentioning but it's good to recognise that depending on the firm that may be limited at trainee stage

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So my personal view with the BCLP question is to be more selective. Think about who the most important relationships are to build especially in your first three months and that will be important in the long term.

I think many people miss the “in your first three months” part of the question.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    So my personal view with the BCLP question is to be more selective. Think about who the most important relationships are to build especially in your first three months and that will be important in the long term.

I think many people miss the “in your first three months” part of the question.
    I chose two and spoke about the method of building that relationship through different means and that was successful so I second what Jessica says!

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    case study invite for Mishcon! does anyone know what this entails or how to prepare?? never done a case study before.
    I did it two years ago, so my advice may be a little off but it was 30mins to prepare with around 5 documents (think balance sheet, background, and a few other things ) and a 30 min interview with a senior associate where you do a 10 min presentation of all the facts/issues facing your client and come to a conclusion on the best solution for their problem. Mid way through they throw in a piece of information (in my case an email) that could change your recommendations! I didn’t really know anything but the absolute basics of business and got through so I’d recommend just understanding M&A and common sense around business issues and that’s enough to get you to the next round! Best of luck! :D

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    I did it two years ago, so my advice may be a little off but it was 30mins to prepare with around 5 documents (think balance sheet, background, and a few other things ) and a 30 min interview with a senior associate where you do a 10 min presentation of all the facts/issues facing your client and come to a conclusion on the best solution for their problem. Mid way through they throw in a piece of information (in my case an email) that could change your recommendations! I didn’t really know anything but the absolute basics of business and got through so I’d recommend just understanding M&A and common sense around business issues and that’s enough to get you to the next round! Best of luck! :D
    Was your assessor HR or an associate?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hey, I was wondering if a job as an administration assistant/floor support worker at a law firm would count as work experience in helping to apply for vacation schemes or training contracts. I am a recent graduate who is preparing to for another round of applications and am struggling to get a paralegal job
    I currently have an administrator role in a Magic Circle firm and its such a good way to get in as the roles are typically less competitive and I really leveraged the experience gained in my applications. You also get access to firm resources and training etc so you can really get the most out of it and build towards perhaps a paralegal job moving forward!

Shia

Dec 16, 2020
    @Crystal86 and @Shia, I just wanted to say that I am keeping my fingers crossed for you both.

I really hope that you do hear some good news very soon. I am inspired by your outlook and positivity though. These things are stressful and anxiety-inducing, so credit to you 💪

Please do let me know when you find out!
    Thank you so much for that @George Maxwell !! Just waiting patiently with optimism at this point! No matter what happens, I believe we've given our best :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.