TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
It sounds strange, but I always found pubs the quietest place to work. Much quieter than coffee shops.

A few pubs have even started to think about this and offer unlimited free soft drinks/coffee, lunch and book you tables near power sockets.

I regularly used to use one of my local pubs this way (although only available Mon-Fri):

I wish I'd thought of this!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
just realised I never did the Fieldfisher online assessment! what an idiot!!
there's been so much to juggle (first cycle while also working full-time) and it just slipped through the cracks :(
not going to let it get me down but do feel a little stupid for putting effort into an application and then not even giving myself a shot with the online assessment 🤡
@GeorgieW I am sorry to hear about this but please don't beat yourself up over it too much; we are all human! I neglected to do an important task on a vac scheme that I looked back on wondering whether it made all the difference... but I moved on and ended up at a firm I am very happy with, as will you - I know it!

As long as you learn from your mistakes and make sure that it doesn't happen again, your experience is worthwhile and not something you should let yourself get too upset about. I am confident you will end up just fine and look back on this with a smile 😊

• 🏆
  • 🤝
Reactions: GeorgieW and Adrian_S

Eve0499

Mar 27, 2022
I applied for Mishcon quite close to the deadline in January, got the holding email (saying they'd let us know either way by the 11th of March), then last Monday (7th) got an invitation to a video interview. I was absolutely convinced it was going to be a PFO at that point so don't worry if they're taking their time! Submitted the VI at the weekend and now we go back to waiting again :)
How did you find the VI?? What questions did they ask you?

cecily78900

Standard Member
Mar 2, 2022
I was just wondering what the etiquette is with emailing grad recruitment for an answer is? I have a couple of firms which haven't responded to me post online test. Whilst I am pretty sure that it is a rejection coming my way as it is so late, some I can reapply for in the same cycle for a TC and so it would be helpful to close my VS application so I can begin to focus my application on TC. Would you recommend emailing grad recruitment and asking if there is an update with my application? It is my first cycle so sorry if a dim question!

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
On Ashurst's FAQ for whether they accept international students, they said: "We recruit on the understanding that you may go on to join one of our schemes or programmes when you complete your law degree (UK only)."

I'm an international student but did my LLB in the UK but have since left the UK and am trying to apply to UK TCs. Would I still be eligible? I don't really understand what they mean.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
On Ashurst's FAQ for whether they accept international students, they said: "We recruit on the understanding that you may go on to join one of our schemes or programmes when you complete your law degree (UK only)."

I'm an international student but did my LLB in the UK but have since left the UK and am trying to apply to UK TCs. Would I still be eligible? I don't really understand what they mean.
Yes, you'd be eligible. I think the UK reference is just for their UK opportunities, not referencing the candidates.

Reactions: AvniD

Ambs123

Legendary Member
Feb 19, 2021
Shoosmiths PFO for VS London.

The email came with "We want you to know that, although your application didn't meet the requirements to progress to the next stage this time, we would really like you to stay engaged with Shoosmiths, as we can see real potential in your application".

Has anyone else received this?
I received that too :( upset about this one tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.