TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
Technically I would consider a news story to be slightly more specific - e.g. an article about something particular rather than something that went over a long period of time. So to me a commercial issue is something broader that has probably multiple elements to it (and therefore lots of news stories), while a news story is something specific/particular (if that makes sense).

There will be some cross over though, so I wouldn't be surprised if some people can use similar stories for different questions.
So would a piece of legislation not be okay for a question on a news story?

tc.la.vs

Esteemed Member
Mar 1, 2021
Hey, I graduated in 2021 and this vacation scheme cycle really hasn't gone well for me as it is looking like I will come out with no offers. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on to do next, I have found the past month to be a massive struggle mentally and have been trying to apply for paralegal roles and not having much success now too. Is it useful to get more legal experience now? In applying for the next cycle, am I too old now that I would be over a year after I've graduated? I didn't know if this is the right place to ask this but have been stressing for a while and don't really know who else to ask. I am feeling pretty stuck at the moment (this was my first cycle too)
I was in the exact same boat (2020 grad) and knew it wouldn't be easy but didn't think I'd get so so so so many rejections and have zero success. was also demotivating because all of my friends trying to do law or consulting managed to get jobs at really great places and I couldn't work out what I was doing wrong. I went to all the legal cheek events and got as much exposure to firmss as I could and have had more luck this cycle and got a few vac scheme offers and am madly crossing my fingers for a TC offer at the end of one. I do think a healthy amount of luck is involved because there are so many people applying and top firms will get enough good applicants to offer more TCs/VSs than they have available but can't because there isn't space for everyone. I understand the mental toll it takes for sure -- I'd recommend sticking with it if its truly what you want to pursue. I'm the year before you and am not considered 'too old' etc - if anything I have more experience/knowledge/perspective now than when I was at uni. also consider mature students/career changers: no one is anti-them because they're older. Honestly if its your first cycle then good for you for just getting the applications out. its a tricky process and I definitely felt disheartened and pretty down when things didn't work out for me. For me I got a part time job during applications with flexibleish hours which meant I could go to all the virtual events and have time to write applications but still earn a bit which seems to have worked alright. I'd definitely advise giving it another shot and applying next cycle or for stuff over the summer that's still open. it feels like a never-ending road but, if you can, I do think you should stick with it, at least for the next year or so, if you're sure it is what you want to be doing. Non-legal work experience with transferrable skills is super useful too so it won't be a hindrance that you're not 'in law' right now if you approach whatever work you can get with the mindset of it being useful to you later on. I'm not sure if this is helpful or not but its how I found it. this forum is so helpful as well and has great advice (sorry mine has been a bit garbled). Hope that you have a better month ahead of you and that you end up somewhere you're really excited about. Best of luck

tc.la.vs

Esteemed Member
Mar 1, 2021
did anyone receive this/does anyone know if this is a standard rejection or if this actually specific to me from Withers?

Thank you for attending your recent interview for the position of Vacation Scheme 2022 (London).

Further to your interview, we regret to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.

Whilst your application was not successful for the London Vacation Scheme, we would like to consider your application for a direct Training Contract.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
OMG I can relate to this so much.

As everything you said has happened to me this year.

In regards to the paralegal bit, I have been applying for paralegal roles since August last year and I hate recruiters as they reach out to you about roles but don't actually help you. Like every time a recruiter contacts me about a role then I have to chase them up 2 weeks later about an update on the role then they say let me contact the client as have not heard back from the client and then later the client has filled the position. I feel like recruiters contacting me every day I am getting fed up of it as I have not yet secured a paralegal role except for that 1 document review role which I did for 2 weeks in February.

This is why I hate recruiters but this does not include graduate recruitment which is why I don't like applying for paralegal roles through recruiters.

Sorry if I went on a vent but I actually gave up on a paralegal hunt today as I don't know what to do with the paralegal hunt as I apply for paralegal roles that I have paralegal experience in. I don't usually give up but today I decided to throw in the towel for a paralegal job hunt as I gave up.
The process will often be frustrating for the recruiter too.

Unless they are exclusively recruiting for the role (unlikely), the role could be filled by other agencies or even be filled internally or by direct applicants by the firm.

They often don’t have an update because the client hasn’t updated them either, and they will be equally frustrated to hear the role has been filled and they haven’t been informed.

I know the process is opaque and frustrating, but I’d encourage you to reconsider your position on this and not give up and still go through agencies when required. Applying directly to a firm will not give you any guarantees of hearing back either unfortunately. I would continue applying and then just step back from the process of chasing up as that is the process that is stressing you out. After applying, you can be relatively passive about it, but at least you are in the running. Completely giving up will only result in the certainty of you not securing a role.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
did anyone receive this/does anyone know if this is a standard rejection or if this actually specific to me from Withers?

Thank you for attending your recent interview for the position of Vacation Scheme 2022 (London).

Further to your interview, we regret to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.

Whilst your application was not successful for the London Vacation Scheme, we would like to consider your application for a direct Training Contract.
I don’t think it’s a standard rejection. There will be plenty of people they won’t be encouraging to reapply for a TC.

How many people they send such an email to is difficult to tell though. But if they are sending it, I’d encourage you to consider the direct TC route/application.

Reactions: tc.la.vs

tc.la.vs

Esteemed Member
Mar 1, 2021
I don’t think it’s a standard rejection. There will be plenty of people they won’t be encouraging to reapply for a TC.

How many people they send such an email to is difficult to tell though. But if they are sending it, I’d encourage you to consider the direct TC route/application.
Thank you! I was hoping it wasn't standard as its a 'transfer my app across' rather than reapply type situation but I never know. Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you! I was hoping it wasn't standard as its a 'transfer my app across' rather than reapply type situation but I never know. Thank you!
I would reply back and confirm you’d like to be considered for a direct TC and ask if there is any further information you can provide to support your application.

s10

Distinguished Member
Oct 1, 2020
Does anybody know what the TC conversion rate for Latham or Dechert is?
Also does anybody have experience choosing between two different vac scheme offers? I understand this may be highly subjective, but what were the sort of factors you considered before choosing which firm's offer to accept? Feeling extremely lost and under pressure here because I acknowledge the firm I choose might ultimately directly impact any probability of me being offered a TC...

Homer

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 12, 2021
I have a question regarding strategy/ direct TC applications, which I would really appreciate hearing people's thoughts on. Would be particularly grateful if @Jessica Booker could give some insight.

Direct TCs are opening up now until June/July. Having secured a few Vac Schemes with firms I would enjoy working at, should I apply to some direct TCs at other firms (that i'd also enjoy working at)?

I ask because my main priority is simply securing a TC this year. I realise Vac schemes can be unpredictable and I was considering whether I could advantageously leverage the fact I have vac schemes coming up with other rival firms, during the application (as it would make me seem like a more desirable candidate) to get a direct TC now. If I dont end up converting one of the VS, surely, my position wouldn't be as strong for direct TCs as it is this year.

Another consideration is that I am a final year law UG at Oxbridge. In other words, I have a very demanding few months of exam prep coming and there would be an opportunity cost (in that I'd be taking time away from my revision) to do these direct TC applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.