TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestkid98

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 22, 2020
Oh amazing, congrats! It's been a week now so I am guessing I am unsuccessful.
Thanks really appreciate it- I wouldn't jump to conclusions. I think some people hear back quicker due to the interviewing partner providing the feedback quickly to grad rec while others may have delayed in giving that feedback to grad rec due to various factors. Fingers crossed for you nonetheless.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have a question regarding strategy/ direct TC applications, which I would really appreciate hearing people's thoughts on. Would be particularly grateful if @Jessica Booker could give some insight.

Direct TCs are opening up now until June/July. Having secured a few Vac Schemes with firms I would enjoy working at, should I apply to some direct TCs at other firms (that i'd also enjoy working at)?

I ask because my main priority is simply securing a TC this year. I realise Vac schemes can be unpredictable and I was considering whether I could advantageously leverage the fact I have vac schemes coming up with other rival firms, during the application (as it would make me seem like a more desirable candidate) to get a direct TC now. If I dont end up converting one of the VS, surely, my position wouldn't be as strong for direct TCs as it is this year.

Another consideration is that I am a final year law UG at Oxbridge. In other words, I have a very demanding few months of exam prep coming and there would be an opportunity cost (in that I'd be taking time away from my revision) to do these direct TC applications.
If there are ultimately firms you want to work for that you haven't secured VS with and can apply this year to, then I would recommend doing so. It just sounds like you can be selective as to who those might be given your three+ vacation schemes you have coming up, and given how busy you will be with your studies and your vacations schemes (don't underestimate how much of your time/energy will be taken up by these too).

If it was me, I'd just be strategic about it - identify the deadlines after my exams so I could focus on them, select the firms that I would only choose over the firms that I have VS with, and make a shortlist from there.

You can definitely leverage your upcoming schemes though.

Even for those with multiple schemes, I recommend making some backup direct TC applications to.

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    TL;DR - Is it ok to ask to be transferred to direct TC route a month after accepting a VS offer?

Hi hive minds, I am a career changer and I need some advice here - I just got offered a summer VS today :eek: I genuinely didn't expect myself to get this VS because I had a very disheartening winter vs cycle, so I am feeling over the moon! On the other hand, I also applied to many non-legal jobs as a plan B (because the winter cycle was so traumatizing), and not long ago I found myself a role within a well-known PE fund (!), which I already signed.

I don't think I can definitively accept/turn down this VS now, for two reasons:
    1 - I can't find any clause in my new contract that explicitly mentions part time/second job (kudos to the HSF lawyers drafting my 50 pages contract+NDA o_O - it was a pain to read lolol), but I hesitate to contact my new company's HR regarding this before I start next month, as I don't want to cross them and look uncommitted to my new job. I should also add that i have done VS elsewhere before but that didn't convert. So I am not sure if doing another VS is worth it....
    2 - While law is still my plan A, I am not sure if a TC (let alone a VS) at this specific law firm is worth me giving up this new PE fund job. When I applied to this law firm I hadn't got my new job, so I haven't compared them before and I don't want to come to a quick decision w/o careful considerations. Ideally, I want to start my new job first so I have more info to make an informed decision.

The said law firm has a direct TC route which is currently accepting applications, so my plan is to accept the VS first, and ask to be transferred to direct TC if I really can't take time off for the VS in the end - how much more does this annoy a law firm than me telling them now that I need to transfer to a direct TC? @Jessica Booker

Thank you so much in advance for your advice!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    TL;DR - Is it ok to ask to be transferred to direct TC route a month after accepting a VS offer?

Hi hive minds, I am a career changer and I need some advice here - I just got offered a summer VS today :eek: I genuinely didn't expect myself to get this VS because I had a very disheartening winter vs cycle, so I am feeling over the moon! On the other hand, I also applied to many non-legal jobs as a plan B (because the winter cycle was so traumatizing), and not long ago I found myself a role within a well-known PE fund (!), which I already signed.

I don't think I can definitively accept/turn down this VS now, for two reasons:
    1 - I can't find any clause in my new contract that explicitly mentions part time/second job (kudos to the HSF lawyers drafting my 50 pages contract+NDA o_O - it was a pain to read lolol), but I hesitate to contact my new company's HR regarding this before I start next month, as I don't want to cross them and look uncommitted to my new job.
    2 - While law is still my plan A, I am not sure if a TC (let alone a VS) at this specific law firm is worth me giving up this new PE fund job. When I applied to this law firm I hadn't land my new job, so I haven't compared them before and I don't want to come to a quick decision w/o careful considerations. Ideally, I want to start my new job first so I have more info to make an informed decision.

The said law firm has a direct TC route which is currently accepting applications, so my plan is to accept the VS first, and ask to be transferred to direct TC if I really can't take time off for the VS in the end - how much more does this annoy a law firm than me telling them now that I need to transfer to a direct TC? @Jessica Booker

Thank you so much in advance for your advice!
    If you are working in a well known PE fund, you are likely going to need to disclose it even from a conflict of interest perspective, even if there is nothing in your contract about working second jobs etc. You might find there is not something in your contract, but that a internal policy may prevent it to (you may find your contract loosely talks about adhering to company policies).

I personally wouldn't accept the VS only to then ask to be transferred to a direct TC. I would just explain you have started a new job and you will find it difficult to take time off from that to attend the VS, and therefore could you be converted to a direct TC route instead.

Reactions: James Carrabino

Homer

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    If there are ultimately firms you want to work for that you haven't secured VS with and can apply this year to, then I would recommend doing so. It just sounds like you can be selective as to who those might be given your three+ vacation schemes you have coming up, and given how busy you will be with your studies and your vacations schemes (don't underestimate how much of your time/energy will be taken up by these too).

If it was me, I'd just be strategic about it - identify the deadlines after my exams so I could focus on them, select the firms that I would only choose over the firms that I have VS with, and make a shortlist from there.

You can definitely leverage your upcoming schemes though.

Even for those with multiple schemes, I recommend making some backup direct TC applications to.
    thank you for your valuable insight and suggestions.

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    If you are working in a well known PE fund, you are likely going to need to disclose it even from a conflict of interest perspective, even if there is nothing in your contract about working second jobs etc. You might find there is not something in your contract, but that a internal policy may prevent it to (you may find your contract loosely talks about adhering to company policies).

I personally wouldn't accept the VS only to then ask to be transferred to a direct TC. I would just explain you have started a new job and you will find it difficult to take time off from that to attend the VS, and therefore could you be converted to a direct TC route instead.
    Thanks for the advice Jessica! would it be better to do that over email or should I give HR a call?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How does everyone here find conversion rates from VS to TC
    Even if there are stats out there, I would take them with a massive pinch of salt.

I have seen conversion rates bounce up and down 25% due to a mixture of circumstances. Just because a conversion rate was X last year, does not mean it would easily be that again.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Does anyone know any good resources for the general process/steps followed during litigation by lawyers? I have seen a lot of this for M&A but can’t find stuff for litigation?
    I know it’s been a while haha but I remembered someone had asked this a while ago and just wanted to highlight that if you have access to Practical Law at all (perhaps through your studies) there are some amazing resources on understanding how the litigation process works. Alternatively you can access the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR) which sets it out as well. I’d recommend Googling “litigation procedure fast track/multi-track” if you want to get a better understanding what that process might look like. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.