TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Thank you!

Do you have to identify, explain and summarise each article (treating each article separately); or do you read the articles together and then identify, explain, summarise?
    No worries!

In my assessment, the articles were all interlinked. I offered a paragraph each on the combined issues, explanation, summary and final advice.

Reactions: TCApp2021

HopefulFutureTrainee

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 23, 2022
    Has anyone heard back from Dentons with regards to the summer Vacation scheme? I don’t understand why there’s been radio silence since March!
    I would not worry about the silence too much. They just ran their Spring scheme and they are super super busy. I am a future trainee and I'm expecting some documents and I've been waiting too, so I wouldn't take it as a bad sign or anything!

• 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I know this might not be relevant to the forum sorry for this.

A lot of my friends are applying for Legal Tech and Legal Operations roles at law firms like Slaughter and May, NRF, A&O and etc. I am thinking of going down the legal tech route but wanted to ask if I qualify in the legal tech route can I still in the future convert back to a solicitor or will I have to do the whole TC process again. Also, I am not talking about CC Ignite TC but am talking about legal tech and legal operations programmes.

What are your thoughts on this @Jaysen @Jessica Booker @AvniD @James Carrabino @George Maxwell

Reactions: George Maxwell

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Just had my last VI of this cycle. I fully understand the benefits of video interviewing from the recruiter's point of view but I just do not think it is fair or possible to assess whether someone is a suitable candidate based off SIX minutes of them talking into a camera. One faulty answer and you are out of the running, whether you are good enough or not. Interested to know other people's thoughts / experiences of VI?
    I never liked video interviews either, although I did come to realise that recruiters are more charitable than you think when watching them! This is to say that everyone finds them awful and it is easy to make mistakes, so it is definitely not the case that you are out of the running with one faulty answer! In fact, there were video interviews where I repeated myself and stuttered through multiple questions and then passed, whilst there were others where I thought I had aced them and did not pass.

I have actually written a post about my experience with what worked and what did not work with video interviews here. I do think that a good video interview is about showing who you are as a person and that your motivations are compelling, and giving a glimpse of your potential in the process. This is far more important than being extremely slick and confident in front of the camera! I hope this is helpful :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Finally received a White & Case vac scheme video interview invite, I applied on the 4th of January with the spring scheme as my first choice. Was very surprised that I hadn't been rejected yet.
    White & Case Vac Scheme AC invite! If anyone has any advice (especially for the written assessment), I would be very grateful!
    Congratulations - I guess they made up for the wait on the VI :D

• Haha
    Reactions: OO28 and GXA123

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Can’t believe I’m finally saying this.. I just got off the phone with GR and after four cycles, I’ve finally got myself a training contract with a great international firm!

I cannot tell you how many times I have cried and wallowed in how disappointed I have been through all the rejections. I had been rejected at every stage in the process and each time it hurt more than the first. I felt demotivated that some people got 4+ vacation schemes in their first year and I had no such luck. Truly it had nothing to do with my potential, it was a mixture of learning, a whole lot of luck and waiting for the right moment for you.
    This is so excellent to hear, congratulations!!!

Reactions: GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just had my last VI of this cycle. I fully understand the benefits of video interviewing from the recruiter's point of view but I just do not think it is fair or possible to assess whether someone is a suitable candidate based off SIX minutes of them talking into a camera. One faulty answer and you are out of the running, whether you are good enough or not. Interested to know other people's thoughts / experiences of VI?
    I look at it slightly differently as it definitely gives more people a chance to shine than it would without

I was very anti video interviews back in 2013/14 when they first started to come in. However, I started a project for a law firm and they needed to improve the diversity of their intakes, and the massive problem they had was they were making a really strict cut at the application stage, of about 1500 applications down to 60-70 candidates to see at first round interview stage.

That meant they had to make really harsh cuts based on things like a couple of percentage point differences in law module results or tiny writing errors. It was sometimes the case that people had excellent applications but didn’t come across well in person too (eg in a full 60 minute interview) and the partners dedicating their time to interviewing wanted a higher hit rate at interview).

Using video interviews the firm got about 200 people to have the chance to shine at interview stage, so over three times the amount. The hit rate at the first round interview increased dramatically and the intake of trainees diversified both in terms of ethnicity, social background, university and degree subject.

I have seen a lot of success since then.

I understand the awkwardness of them, but as far as I am concerned they are one of the best tools out there to select people down in the initial stages. My only concern is when AI is used to assess them (I am not sure any of the law firms do this - I am pretty sure they all still use people to review the videos) as some of the methods to design the AI and also the data sets for it are particularly questionable in my opinion.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I look at it slightly differently as it definitely gives more people a chance to shine than it would without

I was very anti video interviews back in 2013/14 when they first started to come in. However, I started a project for a law firm and they needed to improve the diversity of their intakes, and the massive problem they had was they were making a really strict cut at the application stage, of about 1500 applications down to 60-70 candidates to see at first round interview stage.

That meant they had to make really harsh cuts based on things like a couple of percentage point differences in law module results or tiny writing errors. It was sometimes the case that people had excellent applications but didn’t come across well in person too (eg in a full 60 minute interview) and the partners dedicating their time to interviewing wanted a higher hit rate at interview).

Using video interviews the firm got about 200 people to have the chance to shine at interview stage, so over three times the amount. The hit rate at the first round interview increased dramatically and the intake of trainees diversified both in terms of ethnicity, social background, university and degree subject.

I understand the awkwardness of them, but as far as I am concerned they are one of the best tools out there to select people down in the initial stages. My only concern is when AI is used to assess them (I am not sure any of the law firms do this - I am pretty sure they all still use people to review the videos) as some of the methods to design the AI and also the data sets for it are particularly questionable in my opinion.
    Wow that’s a good insight!

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022

I agree with this 1000%. Clyde & Co was the first place to give me a shot and it was definitely due to the fact they removed written applications, utilised a blind CV and only check VI prior to AC. The firm has a crazy high conversion rate from AC to VC and VC to TC these days and i believe a lot of that is because they manage to find better, more diverse talent.

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Can anyone share any articles/sources covering 'law firms as a business' please - looking for ones that cover key opps/threats for law firms and explains their business models?
    Hey @TCApp2021,

After a quick google I found these articles. Is this the sort of thing that you were looking for?

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    hii do you mind sharing more about your interview experience? like what they asked and stuff, thank you!!
    Yeah course. It was 18 mins long, some firm related questions basically (why law, how do firms run as businesses), some situational questions like how do you make relationships with people, and then the rest were competencies. It was definitely one of the harder first round interviews I did but I think they want you to think on your feet so they don’t ask the genetic questions you’d expect. I’d say just know your main competencies like how you work in a team, how do you interact with people etc and you’ll be fine!

• 🤝
    Reactions: dcriangrcy and AvniD

corinium

Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 27, 2021
    Not sure if this is the best place for this, but how are social events on vac schemes assessed? I may not be able to make one during my scheme due to a family commitment and I am so worried that it might be frowned upon, even though it is outside of the working hours. Any advice?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.