TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logitech

Apr 26, 2022
Dear all,

I have just been notified that I have failed converting a spring vacation scheme into a training contract. I feel quite lost particularly since I am a final year international student... :(

I also wonder whether my vacation scheme experience will be a good asset for future applications I am extremely anxious of getting questioned 'explain why you failed'.

I would appreciate any comments. Thank you so much.

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Dear all,

I have just been notified that I have failed converting a spring vacation scheme into a training contract. I feel quite lost particularly since I am a final year international student... :(

I also wonder whether my vacation scheme experience will be a good asset for future applications I am extremely anxious of getting questioned 'explain why you failed'.

I would appreciate any comments. Thank you so much.
    I am so sorry to hear that you didn't get offered the job - also, that you are using the word 'failed' about yourself. This definitely needs reframing.

Firstly, the firm failed to offer you a TC at the end of the VS, you didn't 'fail' to 'convert' IMHO.

Secondly, the VS is a terrific asset. They are so difficult to get. Thousands apply and after that, the 'conversion rate' is still only about 50%. The firm should give you feedback, which will help you to reflect. But it won't be a complete answer as to why they didn't take you on permanently, so don't expect total clarity on that. However, no one can take away the fact that you succeeded in a really tough competition to get to the VS itself. It shows that you are nearly there.

I've been asked what my feedback was but never asked why I 'failed' to be given a TC. Which would be humiliating, so if anyone were to ask, that would only demonstrate their toxicity and insensitivity, so you wouldn't want to work for them anyway. (If family members tactlessly use that sort of terminology you might need to remind them that the legal industry is complex and nuanced in a way that is difficult for those not involved to understand.)

Thirdly, you will probably be a far better lawyer for getting some experience in another field, or as a paralegal. You can worry about that after Finals.

Regarding your status as an international student, I've seen a few threads on here with advice on the technical side of things re visas etc. That of course complicates things a little but you can work this out. I would think you can find the threads from the search bar.

Fourthly, there will still be some direct applications open after your Finals are out of the way. Perhaps you were at the webinar about this a few weeks ago? If you are a premium member, it's online. If that's your goal then there are options left this cycle and now you have another addition for your 'work experience' section.

Finally, I came across this slightly leftfield but very helpful video this morning about job rejection in general (if you prefer the legal bloggers, they've ALL covered rejection....)

Congratulations on completing a VS!

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Well after sending off somewhere in the realm of 200+ applications over 4 years, and slowly but surely getting the hang of completing online applications/assessment centres & interviews, I finally have my dream TC at Clyde & Co. I appreciate this TCLA community more than you know and I am genuinely thankful and grateful for all of the support I received from this community which got me over the edge! I wish everyone else on here the best of luck with their future challenges and objectives, and hope I can provide my own tips going forward on this forum! :)
    Well done!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Guys,

I do not know if this is the right thread but I have been approached for a new job and it is inside IR35 scheme.
    Do you have any useful link or information...google is scaring me

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Guys,

I do not know if this is the right thread but I have been approached for a new job and it is inside IR35 scheme.
    Do you have any useful link or information...google is scaring me
    This is a nightmare for the self-employed. Most people work through an umbrella company to ensure they are IR35 compliant, but that will take a good 25-33% of your day rate to do so.

If you want to work on a PAYE basis, then ask the employer/recruiter whether they will consider that instead if you don’t want to take an inside IR35 role (I won’t take them unless they up my day rate by 40%, which is just highly unlikely).

Reactions: S87

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    This is a nightmare for the self-employed. Most people work through an umbrella company to ensure they are IR35 compliant, but that will take a good 25-33% of your day rate to do so.

If you want to work on a PAYE basis, then ask the employer/recruiter whether they will consider that instead if you don’t want to take an inside IR35 role (I won’t take them unless they up my day rate by 40%, which is just highly unlikely).
    Thank you @Jessica Booker,

You confirmed my feelings..I did some math in the meantime and I would give away so much money every month:(

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.