TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Grad Rec in the Legal Cheek webinar just now just said winter isn’t rolling and it’s sifted after the deadline! That was news to me ??
They were 100% rolling last year- I remember applying in august and hearing back in mid september last time!

Reactions: OB

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    I wonder if A&O are adopting the same system as previous years - where your application will only be reviewed if you've passed the SJT? This year I haven't even had an acknowledgment of my SJT being completed never mind an outcome

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    such a stupid question - HSF ask what year you did your university modules i.e. 2017,2018,2019 etc do I put when I started it or when I finished because technically it's different?

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    such a stupid question - HSF ask what year you did your university modules i.e. 2017,2018,2019 etc do I put when I started it or when I finished because technically it's different?
    I put the year I started - I went to uni in 2018-2021, so all my first year modules are listed with the start date of 2018 (even if I did the exams in 2019)

Really not a stupid question- I think everyone gets stuck on this, I certainly did!

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    I put the year I started - I went to uni in 2018-2021, so all my first year modules are listed with the start date of 2018 (even if I did the exams in 2019)

Really not a stupid question- I think everyone gets stuck on this, I certainly did!
    Thank you!!

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    I’m very confused that GR have said that they’re not recruiting on a rolling basis for their winter VC bc even on the application page before you make one, it still says that it’s rolling basis.
    It's also odd that they'd specifically recruit non-rolling for winter vacs but not for their others?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I’m very confused that GR have said that they’re not recruiting on a rolling basis for their winter VC bc even on the application page before you make one, it still says that it’s rolling basis.

It's also odd that they'd specifically recruit non-rolling for winter vacs but not for their others?
    I think it’s probably safest to take that info with a pinch of salt but I was certainly surprised when she said it! I even looked at the page where you apply and it clearly says rolling basis! Unless it’s changed this year and they never changed the writing as it’s nowhere on the actual grad website I think

Reactions: M777

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    I think it’s probably safest to take that info with a pinch of salt but I was certainly surprised when she said it! I even looked at the page where you apply and it clearly says rolling basis! Unless it’s changed this year and they never changed the writing as it’s nowhere on the actual grad website I think
    Yeah I'm not surprised that you were surprised! Could be that she just said it in error?

If any of us hear back over the next week or two regarding the winter VS, we can assume it's rolling, but if nobody hears by end of sept then it's probably non rolling

Reactions: ScrappyDoo and OB

hrb_pg

Star Member
    Jul 16, 2021
    If in an interview, you are asked how would you respond to a fellow trainee being rude to support staff, how would one approach that?

My initial reaction is to chat to the trainee, and politely explain that their actions are impacting others, and perhaps if they reconsider what they say. Though I'm not sure if it's more multi-dimensional than that?

Any perspective would be appreciated.

Cassandra Stead

Oct 3, 2020
    Hi all,

I'm applying to Travers Smith's winter vacation scheme. One question on the application is "Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests" I was thinking of writing about how I enjoy running, reading and traveling. Do we just write specifically about this or should we tie it back to the application somehow by reflecting on what we've learnt from this, how it is applicable to law...?

Any feedback is great, thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

I'm applying to Travers Smith's winter vacation scheme. One question on the application is "Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests" I was thinking of writing about how I enjoy running, reading and traveling. Do we just write specifically about this or should we tie it back to the application somehow by reflecting on what we've learnt from this, how it is applicable to law...?

Any feedback is great, thanks!
    Just the responsibilities and outcomes for a question like this. No need to link it back to law.

Reactions: Cassandra Stead

GNewick304

Aug 25, 2021
    Hi everyone! For A&O's first application question, "Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities", would you include what you learnt from legal engagement like shadowing, insight days etc or should the focus be on extracurricular stuff at school and uni + other experiences?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone! For A&O's first application question, "Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities", would you include what you learnt from legal engagement like shadowing, insight days etc or should the focus be on extracurricular stuff at school and uni + other experiences?
    Can be a mix of all of those things.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.