TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hey guys, anyone know when White & Case will hold ACs for their winter vac scheme this year or at least when they did so in previous years. Thank you.

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    for Ashurst's PS is that in essence a cover letter and do I need to address the personal statement? I can't work out if it's more like the PS I drafted for university applications

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    for Ashurst's PS is that in essence a cover letter and do I need to address the personal statement? I can't work out if it's more like the PS I drafted for university applications
    I went to the Vantage event today and grad rec confirmed that you don't need to address it to anyone.

She said the reason it is now called a personal statement is because last year when it was called a cover letter they had a lot of questions around whom to address it to. Hope this helps!

Lawstudent99!

Feb 15, 2021
    Hey, does anyone have any idea how to answer “where do your weaknesses lie?”

I obviously know I have weaknesses but can’t think of what to say, in particular, what to say so that the firm doesn’t look at me negatively?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey, does anyone have any idea how to answer “where do your weaknesses lie?”

I obviously know I have weaknesses but can’t think of what to say, in particular, what to say so that the firm doesn’t look at me negatively?
    They aren’t going to look at you negatively if

1) you can identify your weaknesses - self awareness is a vital characteristic of any trainee

2) you can show what you are either doing to develop that particular weakness or how you have learnt to work around it

corinium

Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 27, 2021
    I went to the Vantage event today and grad rec confirmed that you don't need to address it to anyone.

She said the reason it is now called a personal statement is because last year when it was called a cover letter they had a lot of questions around whom to address it to. Hope this helps!

Oh no! I addressed it to the graduate recruitment partner... hopefully that's not a mark against me :/

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    For anyone who has done the DLA Piper application - did you input your a levels individually and did you include your GCSE's? I can see that there is an option of GCSE's available, but this section states they want details working backwards in reverse chronological order up to and including A level or equivalent studies.

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Just to echo Jess here, the question just wants to know generally what would be important to any client. So it’s more an exercise of just putting yourself in any clients shoes rather than a specific client. Some things that (I think) would be important to clients:

- Cost - What AFAs (alternative fee arrangements) can the firm offer? Does the firm have good project management systems in place to make matters run more efficiently? Is the firm using any legal tech?
    - Sector/Industry expertise - How much does Gowling know about the clients business and their specific needs? You don’t need to know the client for this - focus on the expertise the firm already offers across the board
    - USPs - What can Gowling offer that a similar competitor law firm can’t? Is there something about their business model/international reach/rankings/past deal experience that pushes them ahead of the competition?
    This is absolutely invaluable thanks so so much. Just a quick follow up question - I’ve actually written two answers to this now, one from the perspective of me outside the business - ‘Gowling can offer’ etc and one with me placed inside the business ‘we can offer’.
    Do you think the firm will find the second way presumptive? 😂😂 Does it matter?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.