TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For those who reached the A and O assessment centre for the skills question did you talk about skills that they are looking for such as the competencies that they are looking for or did you just talk about skills that you gained in general.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I'm looking to apply to an open day at Clyde & Co and I see no question asking me for a motivation as to why I'm applying. The closest thing I came across is 'Please provide any additional information that you believe is relevant to an assessment of your qualifications: * '. Is this where I explain my motivations? I'm also wondering if I can put some volunteer stuff in the work experience section, there's four mandatory fields and I've only had two part time jobs (one this summer and the other during A-Levels).
    They probably use the video interview route for that too if there’s no questions at all

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have any advice for how to discuss a commercial story in interview without losing yourself in a structureless tangent?! 😂
    A general structure I think works:

1) explain why you picked that story - this question/interview is about you after all

2) summary (and definitely a summary) of the story itself

3) your analysis on why it happened (actually much more important than 2)

4) your analysis on how it may change the sector/how law firms operate (if appropriate).

Remember interviewers can always ask follow up questions if they want, so you don’t have to cover everything in the answer. They will ask for more if needed.

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    A general structure I think works:

1) explain why you picked that story - this question/interview is about you after all

2) summary (and definitely a summary) of the story itself

3) your analysis on why it happened (actually much more important than 2)

4) your analysis on how it may change the sector/how law firms operate (if appropriate).

Remember interviewers can always ask follow up questions if they want, so you don’t have to cover everything in the answer. They will ask for more if needed.
    Thanks so much!

User84

Sep 2, 2021
    Some firms aren’t worried about your motivations as they can assess that at the following interview stages.

If you really wanted to, you could put some motivational aspects in the extra info question, but it is explicitly asking about details of your “qualifications” so it would need to be linked to that.

However, you clearly don’t have to include motivational aspects in that question as that isn’t what it’s really asking for.

Volunteer work can be included in work experience.
    Thank you!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.