TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Travoni

Legendary Member
Jan 14, 2021
Not sure exactly how long, but they did confirm that they will start inviting candidates for an assessment centre before the application deadline.
Every single GR member that I’ve spoken to and BAs have all nearly confirmed that it’s highly unlikely that normal candidates will hear back from DLA regarding ACs before December. This is because even though they are rolling basis, they operate on a system where they interview all those who were on the first year scheme first, and that only takes place at the start of November. Only after that do GR start looking at the rest of the candidates and start rejecting ppl and inviting the rest for ACs which are definitely all January onwards.
That’s why I’m not in a rush to apply bc I know ppl who have applied in the first week when applications opened and didn’t hear back until January and then I have friends who applied 2 days before the deadline and were successful in getting through to the AC and then onto the scheme itself.

hope that’s useful guys x

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
Every single GR member that I’ve spoken to and BAs have all nearly confirmed that it’s highly unlikely that normal candidates will hear back from DLA regarding ACs before December. This is because even though they are rolling basis, they operate on a system where they interview all those who were on the first year scheme first, and that only takes place at the start of November. Only after that do GR start looking at the rest of the candidates and start rejecting ppl and inviting the rest for ACs which are definitely all January onwards.
That’s why I’m not in a rush to apply bc I know ppl who have applied in the first week when applications opened and didn’t hear back until January and then I have friends who applied 2 days before the deadline and were successful in getting through to the AC and then onto the scheme itself.

hope that’s useful guys x
Thanks, that's helpful! My source was grad rec at last month's DLA event - "What to employers look for when reviewing CV's" and they didn't specify when exactly candidates would start being invited for AC's.

MizM

Star Member
Nov 8, 2020
For this question: Why would you like to pursue a career as a solicitor at Covington & Burling LLP (500 words) do we think that we need to hit both 'why law' and 'why them'?

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
For this question: Why would you like to pursue a career as a solicitor at Covington & Burling LLP (500 words) do we think that we need to hit both 'why law' and 'why them'?
Yes, I would say so! I would try and write about 250 words for each, but don't worry if you write slight more for one part!

Reactions: MizM

dangelataher

Oct 5, 2021
Is there a list of which law firms are not too focused on grades? My A Levels aren’t great and my first two years at uni weren’t great either (they didn’t count towards the final grade).

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Is there a list of which law firms are not too focused on grades? My A Levels aren’t great and my first two years at uni weren’t great either (they didn’t count towards the final grade).
    Legal Cheek is a handy way to see A Level grades for each firm quite easily - my A Level grades aren't the best but I have been progressed by firms who wanted higher and I applied anyway! So some are less fussed than others!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Reactions: dangelataher

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Can anyone shed light on how A&O's timings are working this year? People have recalled grad rec saying it's non-rolling, then the website saying it's rolling, and then of course everyone's getting SJT invites/app outcomes at different times. The date you applied seems to have no bearing on it either. The deadline isn't until 12th oct.

For context I applied on the day it opened, got SJT outcome 28th september and haven't heard since.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Can anyone shed light on how A&O's timings are working this year? People have recalled grad rec saying it's non-rolling, then the website saying it's rolling, and then of course everyone's getting SJT invites/app outcomes at different times. The date you applied seems to have no bearing on it either. The deadline isn't until 12th oct.

For context I applied on the day it opened, got SJT outcome 29th september and haven't heard since.
    Of course I was the one who said that an A&O grad rec member said they were not rolling which confused me and the website seems vague on this. The actual page where you apply says rolling and the automatic reply I got on Friday when I contacted them also says they are rolling. So I assume rolling by the way they're progressing people, albeit maybe slower than previous cycles?

My story is - applied 9th Sept, did test on 10th Sept, had to ask for my SJT result :)

Reactions: M777

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Of course I was the one who said that an A&O grad rec member said they were not rolling which confused me and the website seems vague on this. The actual page where you apply says rolling and the automatic reply I got on Friday when I contacted them also says they are rolling. So I assume rolling by the way they're progressing people, albeit maybe slower than previous cycles?

My story is - applied 9th Sept, did test on 10th Sept, had to ask for my SJT result :)
    Yeah, you're not the only one! Seen a few people on here saying that A&O's grad rec told them it was non-rolling. Not sure what's going on- though I think they were having tons of tech issues with SJT results coming through?

Any luck hearing back after your email?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Yeah, you're not the only one! Seen a few people on here saying that A&O's grad rec told them it was non-rolling. Not sure what's going on- though I think they were having tons of tech issues with SJT results coming through?

Any luck hearing back after your email?
    So I chased my email yesterday and got a response in minutes confirming I passed the SJT and that my application is under review. But I've seen people on here who applied after me get progressed, but then a few have also been rejected - so not sure what to think really!

Reactions: M777
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.