TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioSTEM

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 9, 2021
Does anyone have any experience on the AC for SEO Corporate Law Programme? How can I best prepare and what sorts of questions do they ask?
If they're using the same format as the AC's from last month then learn some key terminology surrounding banking & finance, basics of the energy industry and basics on how law firms function as businesses e.g. how they are structured and their consequences.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
This is a strange story/'question', and I am not sure whether this is the 'right' place on the forum to post it. If it is not, my apologies (I'll delete it).

Yesterday, I had a call with one of the London Partners at a big US firm (through personal connections). Basically, he looked at my CV and said the following (I noted it) 'You did not attend Cambridge/Oxbridge (I am non- RSG), you do not have 4 A* A-levels, in addition, I cannot see any relevant legal work experience' He then went to say that If he was me he would contact firms at my home country, because he doubts that there is a place for me in City.

Needles to say, I found those comments very disheartening because if that indeed is how they view my situation, is there even a point in me spending the time and applying? Also, I found the point about 'going to my home country' a bit confusing (?) I'm from the EU but I've been here for the past 15 years ( and I'm 20).

Just wanted to give my two-cents. Like others have said you absolutely do not have to have those accolades to get a TC at a top firm. Personally, I got A*AB, didn't get top grades at uni or go to Oxbridge and I am a future trainee at a US firm. Further, there are people in my intake with no legal experience whatsoever. That partner's view is both outdates and incredibly inaccurate.

Please don't let their words impact your drive to get a TC! Focus on your own journey and do whatever you can to prove him wrong! :)

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
The DLA Piper WG is untimed this year.. does anyone know whether they are taking the time it took you to do the test into account when calculating the score?

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I attended an event with them recently where grad rec made it clear that it was non-rolling
    It’s weird though as they’re already holding ACs and the deadline hasn’t passed yet. I’ve heard the same from grad rec too but parts of their website states otherwise too. Quite strange!

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    What is the best way to prepare for a case study? I feel like I've gone over everything but not sure what to do now.
    Personally, if you have any indication on the subject matter, I would try and find reports of deals on the FT or similar legal/financial news outlets and see if it talks about the challenges faced by the deal and try to put things in a commercial context, since imho a case study is probably about 40% knowledge 60% commercial sense. If you don't know what the case study will be on you can look at things like m&as or contracts - m&as, financing, etc, you can actually get a good idea of the issues they would want you to be picking out and covering by seeing what terms are involved in standard/precedent contracts (e.g. what exactly do the indemnities cover - warranties relating to what? Etc.)

Reactions: OB

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Hi everyone! I need some help with filling Clifford's application.

I am quiet confused on how best to fill the education section (do I include school or not/ and how to add grades as well). I was also confused about the additional requirements section as it mentions:

You can attach files to the candidate record (e.g. cover letter, resume/ CV, references, transcripts, etc.)If your education history and qualifications are not detailed on your CV please upload a separate document in this section containing this information.

I am not sure if I have to submit a cover letter or not, and whether I should leave the education section empty as they will find the info on my cv.

Appreciate any help :)

Mxkry

Legendary Member
    Oct 13, 2020
    Just wondering is it okay to use the same experience/job/role to explain different skills/motivations in a cover letter? Don't want to sound like I'm repeating myself or have limited experinces.

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Hi everyone! I need some help with filling Clifford's application.

I am quiet confused on how best to fill the education section (do I include school or not/ and how to add grades as well). I was also confused about the additional requirements section as it mentions:

You can attach files to the candidate record (e.g. cover letter, resume/ CV, references, transcripts, etc.)If your education history and qualifications are not detailed on your CV please upload a separate document in this section containing this information.

I am not sure if I have to submit a cover letter or not, and whether I should leave the education section empty as they will find the info on my cv.

Appreciate any help :)
    It clearly states on CC’s website that they will NOT be reviewing any CVs or cover letters. The only thing that is required is the 600 answer to their application question.

hope that’s useful x

Reactions: GXA123 and OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.