TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , for a question about 'tell us an interesting business/news story of interest', do you think an answer about the rise in 'femtech' , and lack of male investors in this space etc is appropriate? It's a story i've recently read, but i'm not sure if I should be referencing a specific company as an example to showcase figures etc.
Sounds like a good story to me. A question like this is really looking for your analysis and opinion rather than reciting facts, but obviously you can use evidence to back up your analysis.

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
Yes - a good place for that kind of detail. You don't need to tell them what you did though - they know what it consists of, so just focus on 1 or 2 very brief points of what you took away from completing it.
Cheers Jessica!

Apologies for going off at a tangent, but in cover letters, is it preferable to include email and phone number as well as addresses of writer recipient (I'm currently writing applications for White & Case and Norton Rose Fulbright, although I think including contact details might not be compulsory on the cover letters anyway) - in the past, I have tended to have no problem getting to the next stage of my applications with just the postal addresses, but I was wondering whether adding additional details would improve the cover letter even further!

eg412

Standard Member
Feb 26, 2020
Just finished the Clyde & Co Video Interview for the Winter VS! Good luck to anyone else doing it!

I found it a bit tough, but nothing out of the ordinary - they focus on situational judgement for the most part, some being written responses, ranking and a couple of video responses ie how would you respond in a particular situation. Then at the end, there are three video questions about your motivations and basically to show your enthusiasm for the firm 👍 There are time limits on the video responses, but you also get a set time to prepare :).

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Is anyone who has done the SJT for A&O able to advise how difficult it is? The website details that there is an element of 'numercial reasoning'. How true is this, and what should I typically expect?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Is anyone who has done the SJT for A&O able to advise how difficult it is? The website details that there is an element of 'numercial reasoning'. How true is this, and what should I typically expect?
    The practice test is spot on for what its like. I've never heard of anyone fail their SJT tbh its very straightforward :)

Reactions: syw

MillyWills

Jun 15, 2021
    The SJT is quite reasonable. I would do the practice test beforehand to get a feel for the type of questions you should expect. RE the numerical reasoning, yes there are numerical reasoning questions. They aren’t particularly difficult, but I would suggest that you have a calculator at hand x

Reactions: syw

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Has anyone heard from Simmons re winter vac scheme after tests/VI?
    When did you do yours? I think I did my tests on the 7th Oct and then I did my VI and written on the 12th :) I think I saw someone on here get to AC and they had done theirs end of Sept?

Reactions: mch16

poppyia

• Apr 25, 2021
    Just finished the Clyde & Co Video Interview for the Winter VS! Good luck to anyone else doing it!

I found it a bit tough, but nothing out of the ordinary - they focus on situational judgement for the most part, some being written responses, ranking and a couple of video responses ie how would you respond in a particular situation. Then at the end, there are three video questions about your motivations and basically to show your enthusiasm for the firm 👍 There are time limits on the video responses, but you also get a set time to prepare :).
    Thank you for this insight!! Fingers crossed for you :))

• Love
    Reactions: eg412 and klewis

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019

Yes it's tough - not really questions you can specifically prep for!

Reactions: eg412

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Cheers Jessica!

Apologies for going off at a tangent, but in cover letters, is it preferable to include email and phone number as well as addresses of writer recipient (I'm currently writing applications for White & Case and Norton Rose Fulbright, although I think including contact details might not be compulsory on the cover letters anyway) - in the past, I have tended to have no problem getting to the next stage of my applications with just the postal addresses, but I was wondering whether adding additional details would improve the cover letter even further!
    No - it’s not necessary to include them if you have included them elsewhere in the application.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.