TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Does anyone know where to find some greater information about Baker McKenzie’s contentious clients? Everything under, dispute resolution, arbitration, litigation etc is very vague - “advised an American company” with no specific info. - doesn’t look too good in an application, and whilst I’ve done SO MUCH research it looks like I’ve not cared enough to research their actual names hahaha
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Can you apply to 2 offices of the same firm in the same application cycle?
I’m my experience no. You apply for one and then stick with that throughout. Meaning, if I applied to a London office for a vacation scheme, usually (there may be exceptions I’m unaware of) you will have to complete your training contract within that same London office too.

• 🤝
Reactions: ap28

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Does anyone know where to find some greater information about Baker McKenzie’s contentious clients? Everything under, dispute resolution, arbitration, litigation etc is very vague - “advised an American company” with no specific info. - doesn’t look too good in an application, and whilst I’ve done SO MUCH research it looks like I’ve not cared enough to research their actual names hahaha
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :)
    The reason for this, especially if the case settled or was private, is because they probably asked the company how much detail they were allowed to use about them for their credentials/marketing and the company didn't want their name released. It may actually be impossible to find out who they have advised unless they're names in the creds on the website because they're deliberately trying to keep the client semi confidential. This is not uncommon in litigation imo

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    The reason for this, especially if the case settled or was private, is because they probably asked the company how much detail they were allowed to use about them for their credentials/marketing and the company didn't want their name released. It may actually be impossible to find out who they have advised unless they're names in the creds on the website because they're deliberately trying to keep the client semi confidential. This is not uncommon in litigation imo
    😭 I thought this might be the case. I’ll just have to phrase my answer slightly differently. Thanks for this! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you very much for answering my question Jessica!

Separately - may I ask, do you think I should wait for Linklaters to give an answer on my application (whether i progress or not) before emailing grad rec for my WG report?
    I don't think it really matters either way - you could ask now if you wanted to.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.