TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakaesr99

Star Member
Mar 30, 2021
Gowling application question- "Please tell us, if you worked for a commercial law firm and had to deliver a client pitch, what would the client want you to cover to enable them to make a decision on who they instruct?"

Is this basically asking what a client wants from their law firm? Any ideas on how to structure this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Slightly trivial question - should I sign off with "Yours Sincerely" or "Yours Faithfully" in cover letters? @Jessica Booker Is there a general rule or does it vary across different firms?
There is no need to capitalise sincerely or faithfully which ever way you go.

The rule is if you know the name of the person you are sending it to, then sincerely. If you don’t know the name of the person you are sending it to (eg you are addressing it generically to the Graduate Recruitment Team) then it’s faithfully.

lawyering

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 29, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker - I am applying to a firm which only uses a CV and a cover letter as part of its application. I wanted to ensure my cover letter was as personal as possible, but since the firm isn't one to hold many graduates events / attend fairs as frequently as others, it's less easy to make this letter personal.

However, their brochure is very detailed and includes quotes from trainees on their experiences in certain practice groups. I wanted to cite one of these in my cover letter as part of my motivations for their training style, but wondering if that was advisable / how to go about it? Wouldn't want to reference this point without explaining where I got the info from, if that makes sense.

I've only ever seen a similar thing done before where applicants have cited a conversation / attended events with the firm. Have you ever seen someone referencing a brochure?

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    Can you use acronyms like FTC and CMA in a cover letter or should they be fully spelled out (i.e. Federal Trade Commission and Competition and Markets Authority)
    I would fully spell them out first and put the abbreviations in brackets. I think it’s fine to abbreviate in your letter once you’ve done this.

Reactions: jv1999

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker - I am applying to a firm which only uses a CV and a cover letter as part of its application. I wanted to ensure my cover letter was as personal as possible, but since the firm isn't one to hold many graduates events / attend fairs as frequently as others, it's less easy to make this letter personal.

However, their brochure is very detailed and includes quotes from trainees on their experiences in certain practice groups. I wanted to cite one of these in my cover letter as part of my motivations for their training style, but wondering if that was advisable / how to go about it? Wouldn't want to reference this point without explaining where I got the info from, if that makes sense.

I've only ever seen a similar thing done before where applicants have cited a conversation / attended events with the firm. Have you ever seen someone referencing a brochure?
    Yes - I have seen people cite brochures or websites, but I just don't think it is necessary to do so. You should lead with your thinking rather than the voice of someone else. You don't really have to show where/how you did your research (unless asked) just that you have analysed that what the firm can offer aligns to your career aspirations.

Reactions: lawyering

Shaz

Distinguished Member
    Sep 29, 2019
    Congrats on your invite! May I ask around what percentile you scored? No worries if not as I know this is personal for some :)
    Of course, I was in the 77th percentile. In 2019, I was in the 53rd so to improve I made sure to complete the 'Beating the Watson Glaser Test' with TCLA just before I did the test for Linklaters. I found this to be far more effective than just doing practice tests tbh!

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Of course, I was in the 77th percentile. In 2019, I was in the 53rd so to improve I made sure to complete the 'Beating the Watson Glaser Test' with TCLA just before I did the test for Linklaters. I found this to be far more effective than just doing practice tests tbh!
    What address did you email for your test score?

LS07

Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 23, 2020
    Anyone has any good advice on how to talk about commercial law events you've attended online in your applications? I feel like so many other people have attended these kind of events and I find it hard to use them in my apps to make me stand out from other people who've attended the same events.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.