TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi there. I'm always a bit stumped by the question of 'tell us about an achievement of importance to you' - I never quite know what they are looking for. Is it the impressiveness of the accolade or what you value as an achievement?? A mixture? Something else?

Does anyone have any examples they wouldn't mind sharing so I can get more of an idea, please?
It’s more of the latter than the former. One person’s accolade could be the next person’s walk in the park.

I always use this real life example to explain what recruiters are looking for. It was asked at interview stage rather than on an application, but the logic still applies:

I interviewed one candidate in the morning who I asked the question of what their greatest achievement was. They talked about running the London Marathon, which to someone like me was a massive achievement because I can’t even run for the bus. When I asked them to explain why it was the greatest achievement they spoke about how they had been a long distance runner for sometime and when probed further they actually made it sound quite easy. They hadn’t actually changed a lot of the things that in their life to achieve the goal – they loved running, they trained a lot anyway, they ate healthily, and running was just part of the every day life.

I interviewed another candidate that same afternoon and asked them the same question. They seemed slightly reluctant to tell me the answer because they didn’t think it was that good but I asked them to give the example anyway and said that if I didn’t think it was suitable I would ask them the question again. They spoke about running a 5K run. Now on the face of it I would say this is nothing compared to 26.2 miles. However they hated running, they never went to the gym, they were fairly unhealthy and their lifestyle meant that they weren’t physically fit . So they had to change everything in their day-to-day life just to accomplish the run. Their achievement was actually really raising money for charity – the reason they chose the 5K run was that they knew that everyone thought it was quite funny that they of all people would do a charity run and so they actually raised a lot of sponsorship from it because it was something so outside of their comfort zone, and people knew that so they sponsored them.

Ultimately the person in the afternoon had the better of the two answers. I don’t doubt that running a marathon is hard work but the individual didn’t really sell the accomplishment behind it. It was almost like the title of the achievement was enough to them, but they literally made it sound pretty easy/straight forward.

So what recruiters are looking for are not really the accomplishment but the effort behind it. This could be anything from determination or drive to achieve something which for you is out of the ordinary.

Alternatively it could just be doing something to an excellent standard. So for instance if the marathon runner had told me that they had reduced their running time down by a certain amount for the marathon or accomplished at a certain time that was impressive, that might have heightened the answer.

So think about combining any of the following factors that sit behind the achievement rather than the achievement itself:

- dedication (time/effort/energy)
- determination
- setting high standards/achieving excellence
- going outside of your comfort zone
- achieving something that benefits others and not just yourself (eg the 5k runner was raising money for charity - something the London Marathon runner never even mentioned)

N.9

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    It’s more of the latter than the former. One person’s accolade could be the next person’s walk in the park.

I always use this real life example to explain what recruiters are looking for. It was asked at interview stage rather than on an application, but the logic still applies:

I interviewed one candidate in the morning who I asked the question of what their greatest achievement was. They talked about running the London Marathon, which to someone like me was a massive achievement because I can’t even run for the bus. When I asked them to explain why it was the greatest achievement they spoke about how they had been a long distance runner for sometime and when probed further they actually made it sound quite easy. They hadn’t actually changed a lot of the things that in their life to achieve the goal – they loved running, they trained a lot anyway, they ate healthily, and running was just part of the every day life.

I interviewed another candidate that same afternoon and asked them the same question. They seemed slightly reluctant to tell me the answer because they didn’t think it was that good but I asked them to give the example anyway and said that if I didn’t think it was suitable I would ask them the question again. They spoke about running a 5K run. Now on the face of it I would say this is nothing compared to 26.2 miles. However they hated running, they never went to the gym, they were fairly unhealthy and their lifestyle meant that they weren’t physically fit . So they had to change everything in their day-to-day life just to accomplish the run. Their achievement was actually really raising money for charity – the reason they chose the 5K run was that they knew that everyone thought it was quite funny that they of all people would do a charity run and so they actually raised a lot of sponsorship from it because it was something so outside of their comfort zone, and people knew that so they sponsored them.

Ultimately the person in the afternoon had the better of the two answers. I don’t doubt that running a marathon is hard work but the individual didn’t really sell the accomplishment behind it. It was almost like the title of the achievement was enough to them, but they literally made it sound pretty easy/straight forward.

So what recruiters are looking for are not really the accomplishment but the effort behind it. This could be anything from determination or drive to achieve something which for you is out of the ordinary.

Alternatively it could just be doing something to an excellent standard. So for instance if the marathon runner had told me that they had reduced their running time down by a certain amount for the marathon or accomplished at a certain time that was impressive, that might have heightened the answer.

So think about combining any of the following factors that sit behind the achievement rather than the achievement itself:

- dedication (time/effort/energy)
    - determination
    - setting high standards/achieving excellence
    - going outside of your comfort zone
    - achieving something that benefits others and not just yourself (eg the 5k runner was raising money for charity - something the London Marathon runner never even mentioned)
    Hi Jessica, thank you so much for explaining that so well. I think I have a much clearer understanding of what firms are looking for now and the reasons why. Thank you again.

Previously, I have used the example of the struggle involved in my writing a paper on a subject I am very passionate about due to external circumstances - I was travelling extensively in Africa - and knew that I would only have a week on my return to write the paper up. Consequently, I used any spare moment I had to plan the essay, and I was able to write the paper up in five days without issue when I came home. The paper was awarded the highest grade of my cohort and I am I proud of it because of that, the fact I did a subject I love justice, but particularly because I managed to achieve it in less than ideal circumstances. The paper also was a reason why I was selected for a highly competitive traineeship abroad where I presented the paper to my team who were experts on the subject (stressful!).

I don't think this involves your last point (something that benefits others) - so I will have a longer think today if I have a better example that involves that point, alongside everything else. While I have done things that benefit others (e.g. volunteering, beginning initiatives to assist others, and increasing diversity), they don't really fulfil the other points (particularly as I was not out of my comfort zone for any of them).

I'll have a think today!!!

Thank you, Jessica.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, thank you so much for explaining that so well. I think I have a much clearer understanding of what firms are looking for now and the reasons why. Thank you again.

Previously, I have used the example of the struggle involved in my writing a paper on a subject I am very passionate about due to external circumstances - I was travelling extensively in Africa - and knew that I would only have a week on my return to write the paper up. Consequently, I used any spare moment I had to plan the essay, and I was able to write the paper up in five days without issue when I came home. The paper was awarded the highest grade of my cohort and I am I proud of it because of that, the fact I did a subject I love justice, but particularly because I managed to achieve it in less than ideal circumstances. The paper also was a reason why I was selected for a highly competitive traineeship abroad where I presented the paper to my team who were experts on the subject (stressful!).

I don't think this involves your last point (something that benefits others) - so I will have a longer think today if I have a better example that involves that point, alongside everything else. While I have done things that benefit others (e.g. volunteering, beginning initiatives to assist others, and increasing diversity), they don't really fulfil the other points (particularly as I was not out of my comfort zone for any of them).

I'll have a think today!!!

Thank you, Jessica.
    It doesn’t have to involve all of those points just a combination of some of them.

Reactions: N.9

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 26, 2021
    I had the offer on Thursday and Monday was my only free slot as well but I managed to grab a slot for the 9th when someone dropped out- otherwise it was such a quick turnaround to get a train and accommodation! (As well as preparing for the interview itself!)
    Quite surprising to me they are doing ACs in the office, I still see quite a lot of firms saying they will do the ACs virtually.

Reactions: GXA123

SR99

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 5, 2021
    I had the offer on Thursday and Monday was my only free slot as well but I managed to grab a slot for the 9th when someone dropped out- otherwise it was such a quick turnaround to get a train and accommodation! (As well as preparing for the interview itself!)
    Lucky you! I basically only have 2 days to prep but just gonna go for it and do my best

Reactions: anxiouslawyer

Shaz

Distinguished Member
    Sep 29, 2019
    Does anyone know if NRF recruit for their vac schemes on rolling basis?
    They don't make it very clear from their FAQs but I would assume they review applications as they come in.

l0133

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 14, 2020
    Does anyone know if NRF recruit for their vac schemes on rolling basis?
    I’m pretty sure it’s non rolling. From the FAQ page:

'Do you review applications on a rolling basis, and when will I know the outcome of my application?

No, we review every application that we receive, regardless of when you submit your application. We would advise applying before the final submission date to avoid any technical issues, as there will be no exceptions for late applications.

We will email you straight away to let you know we’ve received your application. Please be patient when waiting for an outcome, you will be informed of the status of this as soon as we have reviewed your submission.'

psr23

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 15, 2020
    Not strictly vac scheme related but has anyone who applied to EY Law Grad programme heard back at all from them after completing the online assessments?? I completed my assessments over 10 days ago but no response yet
    I completed mine over 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything - I'm wondering if they were waiting til after the deadline (Oct 29th) to get back to us?

Reactions: lawful_neutral216

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Not strictly vac scheme related but has anyone who applied to EY Law Grad programme heard back at all from them after completing the online assessments?? I completed my assessments over 10 days ago but no response yet
    Did you complete the SJT only or did you pass that and complete numerical reasoning tests also.

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Did you complete the numerical reasoning test? Or are you waiting to hear post-SJT? For reference, I completed the SJT on Monday and haven’t heard back.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.