TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hey all,

Was researching practice areas to develop my commercial awareness and stumbled upon (1) 'Private Equity Infrastructure'; and (2) 'Private Equity Infrastructure Finance'. These are seat options for Weil trainees. What do they mean?

I thought (1) would mean PE funds work but they already have a 'funds' team. Also, thought (2) would be (support) leveraged finance work but they have a 'Banking & Finance' team.

Does anyone (with experience at Weil) have an idea?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope you are well.
I would like to ask for your opinion on a matter. I had various interviews, I requested reasonable adjustments after submitting my evidence and was agreed. Now what I do not understand is how more little time I am given, I am dyslexic and I can’t do nothing but be calm about it. What in the world makes the firm decide that I only need 20 seconds more, for someone it is a lot of time..but for me is a slap in the face!

• 🤝
Reactions: bibss

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope you are well.
I would like to ask for your opinion on a matter. I had various interviews, I requested reasonable adjustments after submitting my evidence and was agreed. Now what I do not understand is how more little time I am given, I am dyslexic and I can’t do nothing but be calm about it. What in the world makes the firm decide that I only need 20 seconds more, for someone it is a lot of time..but for me is a slap in the face!
The time should be based on the adjustment you have had in assessments previously, which is typically determined by an educational psychologist.

If you haven't told the firm what the specifics are of the adjustment you require they are likely to set a standardised 25% additional time. I am assuming the 20 seconds is for something like a video interview, which would be about right (as the time is applied just to read the question, not answer it).

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hey all,

Was researching practice areas to develop my commercial awareness and stumbled upon (1) 'Private Equity Infrastructure'; and (2) 'Private Equity Infrastructure Finance'. These are seat options for Weil trainees. What do they mean?

I thought (1) would mean PE funds work but they already have a 'funds' team. Also, thought (2) would be (support) leveraged finance work but they have a 'Banking & Finance' team.

Does anyone (with experience at Weil) have an idea?
Haven't worked at Weil but take a look through these - https://www.weil.com/people/paul-hibbert https://www.weil.com/people/james-macarthur https://www.legal500.com/firms/51047-weil-gotshal-manges-london-llp/9136-london-england/ (ctrl-f infrastructure for highlights)

It's not the financial infrastructure of PE houses (ie funds) but rather a specific focus on private capital investment into infrastructure for which they have a dedicated practice.

Probably not something that would fit into Weil's commercial awareness Q, but for general knowledge/interview it's probably worth having a think about how an infrastructure/infra finance focus creates a cross-sell for their securitisation team.

Reactions: aspiring_solicitor

lila122

Star Member
Jul 29, 2021
Hey, I'm trying to prepare for written case studies.. I've had a look at the advice from @Jacob Miller on 'Definitive Guide to Law Firm Case Studies! *Monday Article Series*', which was super helpful! However, does anyone have any resources or know where I can find any exemplar answers for written case studies?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
The time should be based on the adjustment you have had in assessments previously, which is typically determined by an educational psychologist.

If you haven't told the firm what the specifics are of the adjustment you require they are likely to set a standardised 25% additional time. I am assuming the 20 seconds is for something like a video interview, which would be about right (as the time is applied just to read the question, not answer it).
Actually, the additional time was for verbal and logical reasoning tests. Thank you very much for the suggestion, I will make sure that the firm is informed about my specific needs. As usual, thank you very much.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Actually, the additional time was for verbal and logical reasoning tests. Thank you very much for the suggestion, I will make sure that the firm is informed about my specific needs. As usual, thank you very much.
20 seconds sounds like a mistake then. I would contact the firm to ensure you got the right adjustment.

Reactions: S87

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hi! Does anyone know if Addleshaw Goddard uses a Watson Glaser in their application process? I can't seem to locate information on their application process.

And actually, is there a list of firms who use the Watson Glaser I can find somewhere?

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    I don't suppose anyone knows whether it's too late to apply for NRF's Winter Vacation scheme? Today is the deadline, but I'm not sure whether that means 23:59 today or when it became today.

They offer a Spring vacation scheme as well, so I could apply to that instead, but I'm itching to get on with things ASAP 🙃

jv1999

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 11, 2021
    Anyone know if Hogan Lovells AC (for winter VS) has a Watson Glaser element? They don't mention it in the invite but I know people have done one in previous years. Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.