TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Just curious to know - people here who are in the process for EY, have you applied for their summer internship or their grad scheme?

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Bird & Bird's 150 word limits are killing me. Feel like I have to be concise to the point of almost saying nothing.
    Hi @PirateShip,

I do not think that you will be alone in feeling this. Keep going!

My advice is to just really try to make one precise point (however niche) in your answer. Going for one simple idea, that is well-developed should be the focus here. Ideally, you want to demonstrate that you can communicate complexity in a(n extremely) concise, simple way.

Hope that helps :)

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    NRF telephone interview! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Congratulations @JM1998! That's fantastic news.

As a start, really nail your "Why you?", "Why NRF?" and "Why commercial law?" answers.

In my experience, the interview did require me to think on my feet, but the major theme was my interviewer understanding my motivations for NRF and commercial law rather than being especially technical. It all seemed very quick for me, so to really make the most of it I found taking a breath before each answer worked well!

Looking forward to hearing how this goes for you!

syw

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Hi all, i'm having trouble understanding this assumption from the TCLA guide. The statement is: ''We forecast that increased demands for organic produce in the UK will be followed by a decrease in the number of farms producing genetically modified crops.'' The assumption is
    ''Demand for organically grown produce will exceed the level of genetically modified produce in the future.''. The answer is ANM. Can please someone explain why this is?

JM1998

Esteemed Member
    Mar 26, 2021
    Congratulations @JM1998! That's fantastic news.

As a start, really nail your "Why you?", "Why NRF?" and "Why commercial law?" answers.

In my experience, the interview did require me to think on my feet, but the major theme was my interviewer understanding my motivations for NRF and commercial law rather than being especially technical. It all seemed very quick for me, so to really make the most of it I found taking a breath before each answer worked well!

Looking forward to hearing how this goes for you!
    Thank you so much!

• 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hi all, i'm having trouble understanding this assumption from the TCLA guide. The statement is: ''We forecast that increased demands for organic produce in the UK will be followed by a decrease in the number of farms producing genetically modified crops.'' The assumption is
    ''Demand for organically grown produce will exceed the level of genetically modified produce in the future.''. The answer is ANM. Can please someone explain why this is?
    There will be more organic crops, and less GMO, but that does not assume the there will be more total organic than total GMO.

Reactions: syw

Ole1999

Star Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 5, 2020
    Anyone else re-read old applications you’ve wrote and cringe to death? I found this gem:

“I studied slides whilst my peers were partying, saw the teaching assistant whilst my peers were eating and sought feedback on my tutorial work whilst my peers left the room.”

I don’t even know what this s*** means😂

Cringe Wince GIF

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.