TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyAn_na

Aug 13, 2020
Have my HSF AC this Tuesday and I think the thing I’m most nervous about is knowing your probably going to say something incorrect/be challenged by the interviewer.
Anyone have any tips on how to respond if you don’t know have the specific legal knowledge they’re questioning you on? Is there a good way to ask them to explain further before taking a stab at answering?

Reactions: George Maxwell

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Have my HSF AC this Tuesday and I think the thing I’m most nervous about is knowing your probably going to say something incorrect/be challenged by the interviewer.
    Anyone have any tips on how to respond if you don’t know have the specific legal knowledge they’re questioning you on? Is there a good way to ask them to explain further before taking a stab at answering?
    I'd also appreciate the answers to these ques!

However, I would say, having done a (sadly unsuccessful) TC interview, that recruiters don't generally ask questions on specific, black letter law. Although, if you mention something in an answer, perhaps like an IPO or a mechanism of contract law, then expect to be questioned on it.

Logically speaking, if you don't know the answer to a tough question, then say so. Perhaps ask for the question to be rephrased or some background info... Better that than waffling and making the situation worse, in my opinion.

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Seems like W&C is near the end of their recruiting for the WVS, so I'm just wondering has anyone received a PFO? Just trying to figure out whether those still waiting to hear back have a chance or W&C are one of those firms that send all PFOs after giving out all their offers?

Also, what's up with Sidley re WVS?

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Seems like W&C is near the end of their recruiting for the WVS, so I'm just wondering has anyone received a PFO? Just trying to figure out whether those still waiting to hear back have a chance or W&C are one of those firms that send all PFOs after giving out all their offers?

Don't give up hope on W&C! The deadline for the WVS was only last week, and most people apply in the last few days. GR is probs drowning in applications rn, and will likely continue to give out VI's and AC's over the next couple of weeks...

However, I haven't heard anything at all from Sidley!

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell and Dwight

VtmLo

Jul 11, 2021

hi there, I received an e-mail from Sidley last week. They no longer have interview slots available for the WVS but will consider candidates that impressed them for their spring / summer VS.

Reactions: Dwight

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    hi there, I received an e-mail from Sidley last week. They no longer have interview slots available for the WVS but will consider candidates that impressed them for their spring / summer VS.
    Hey - thanks for the info. Such a shame about the WVS.

Slightly off-putting that Sidley has failed to communicate the above, or even send an PFO...

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi all,

I am going to respond to these in one message just so I make sure not to miss anything!

I haven’t written to them. Sorry I thought it was you but it was someone else upthread.

One of my skills has changed! I got judgement, attention to detail and confidence this year. Last year, that last one was collaboration. What did you get?

I am very nervous that I have somehow become less collaborative!
    Hi @Veep9,

If you are referring to automatically generated feedback, I would be hesitant to attach too much weight to what it says. Ultimately the system has to say something, and you have only given it a very small snapshot of how you might choose in a particular situation. I think it is unlikely that you have become less collaborative, for example!

I'd also appreciate the answers to these ques!

However, I would say, having done a (sadly unsuccessful) TC interview, that recruiters don't generally ask questions on specific, black letter law. Although, if you mention something in an answer, perhaps like an IPO or a mechanism of contract law, then expect to be questioned on it.

Logically speaking, if you don't know the answer to a tough question, then say so. Perhaps ask for the question to be rephrased or some background info... Better that than waffling and making the situation worse, in my opinion.

Hi @IzzyAn_na and @LongSufferingLawGrad,

So firstly, @IzzyAn_na: congratulations 🥳. This is fantastic news. I am a little biased, but HSF really is a great firm. My interview with them was enjoyable (I am actually still in touch with one of my interviewers as I found him so impressive). Really well done for getting to this stage!

Secondly, I would fully agree with @LongSufferingLawGrad on this one. Be honest. If you do not know the answer to a question, say so. If you are obviously talking about a topic that you do not know about, then you will most likely be found out. Also be hot on any specific topics that you may have raised in your application as these are fair game for your interviewer to ask you about.

However, I would say do not be afraid to attempt to answer a question that you are unsure of. For example, if a Partner asked me about a topic and I was unsure, I would first respond (after thinking about it) and be honest. I would say something like: "I am unsure of what this means exactly, would you be able to clarify it for me?". They may just move on, they may give clarification or they might just ask you what you think something means. For the last of these two situations, I would really encourage you to be curious (and ambitious). Demonstrate that you can deal with a situation where you do not have all the answers. Be logical in your thinking and think out loud. I was advised that they will be impressed if an interviewee gives a well-reasoned answer (even if it is ultimately wrong).

Interviews should be dynamic, so asking for clarification will make it more like a conversation (which is the cliché for how a good interview should go!). They are likely to admire your honesty, as admitting you do not know the answer can be a difficult (and impressive) thing to do.

Also @LongSufferingLawGrad, do reach out if you would like any guidance or support. Myself and the rest of the CMs (@AvniD and @James Carrabino) are here to answer any questions or queries. Just tag one of us and we will respond as quickly as possible. Thank you for giving some advice in this case though as I think it was spot on! 🚀

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Hi all,

I am going to respond to these in one message just so I make sure not to miss anything!

Hi @Veep9,

If you are referring to automatically generated feedback, I would be hesitant to attach too much weight to what it says. Ultimately the system has to say something, and you have only given it a very small snapshot of how you might choose in a particular situation. I think it is unlikely that you have become less collaborative, for example!

Hi @IzzyAn_na and @LongSufferingLawGrad,

So firstly, @IzzyAn_na: congratulations 🥳. This is fantastic news. I am a little biased, but HSF really is a great firm. My interview with them was enjoyable (I am actually still in touch with one of my interviewers as I found him so impressive). Really well done for getting to this stage!

Secondly, I would fully agree with @LongSufferingLawGrad on this one. Be honest. If you do not know the answer to a question, say so. If you are obviously talking about a topic that you do not know about, then you will most likely be found out. Also be hot on any specific topics that you may have raised in your application as these are fair game for your interviewer to ask you about.

However, I would say do not be afraid to attempt to answer a question that you are unsure of. For example, if a Partner asked me about a topic and I was unsure, I would first respond (after thinking about it) and be honest. I would say something like: "I am unsure of what this means exactly, would you be able to clarify it for me?". They may just move on, they may give clarification or they might just ask you what you think something means. For the last of these two situations, I would really encourage you to be curious (and ambitious). Demonstrate that you can deal with a situation where you do not have all the answers. Be logical in your thinking and think out loud. I was advised that they will be impressed if an interviewee gives a well-reasoned answer (even if it is ultimately wrong).

Interviews should be dynamic, so asking for clarification will make it more like a conversation (which is the cliché for how a good interview should go!). They are likely to admire your honesty, as admitting you do not know the answer can be a difficult (and impressive) thing to do.

Also @LongSufferingLawGrad, do reach out if you would like any guidance or support. Myself and the rest of the CMs (@AvniD and @James Carrabino) are here to answer any questions or queries. Just tag one of us and we will respond as quickly as possible. Thank you for giving some advice in this case though as I think it was spot on! 🚀
    Thank you v. much George - really insightful! After a couple of unsuccessful cycles, I am starting to get somewhere and have, thankfully, got a couple of AC's coming up! This is largely due to reviewing and absorbing many of the great tips and tricks on TCLA, so I will definitely reach out if I need some extra help!

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Thank you v. much George - really insightful! After a couple of unsuccessful cycles, I am starting to get somewhere and have, thankfully, got a couple of AC's coming up! This is largely due to reviewing and absorbing many of the great tips and tricks on TCLA, so I will definitely reach out if I need some extra help!

I'm really glad to hear that things are picking up for you this cycle. Very best of luck with your ACs. I am sure they will go well for you. You've got this!

• 🤝
    Reactions: LongSufferingLawGrad

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Super excited to have just been invited to interview for Travers winter vac scheme! If anyone has done it, I would be so grateful to hear your tips/any advice, the grad recruiter I spoke to on the phone didn't give away many details and I haven't received any emails yet with more info...!

@fm97, congratulations! I cannot comment specifically on the TS WVS interview. However, my advice would be use the search bar on the forum (as I am sure that there have been others who have interviewed and shared their experiences on here in the past).

As with any commercial law interview, know everything you mention in your CV and CL back to front. Have a few commercial/news stories that you are able to discuss (ideally ones that you have been following before). Nail the "Why you?", "Why commercial law?" etc. questions. Finally, be able to justify why TS over another firm (e.g., another silver circle, like HSF or even a firm that pursues an international strategy like TS, perhaps like Macfarlanes or Slaughters).

On my final point, try not to speak about pro bono. Or at least, try not lead with pro bono for justifying why this firm. This can be a really fantastic aspect of a firm's work, but all of them have a pro bono strategy (and this is not what lies at the heart of what the firm does).

Very best of luck! Really looking forward to hearing how it goes :)

Unsure whether to apply to summer vac schemes if the dates listed clashes with my graduation ceremony. Would it be appropriate to ask for a day off during a vac scheme for graduation?

Hi @zlegal,

I know that @Jessica Booker replied to this, but ultimately this is your call. I would still definitely apply. Apart from anything you do not know what might happen with regards to covid and it is possible (albeit unlikely) that in-person events will not be happening next summer.

That being said, this something that you can tackle closer to the time. In my opinion, when it comes to it, if you were to get the scheme (which I really hope that you would!), I would advise that you be open about it with your supervisor, as well as GR, and see what they say. To some extent, it will depend on what your relationship with your supervisor is like. However, based on my experience, I can imagine that as long as I was able to make up the work at the weekend (and maybe not even that), they probably would have been ok with me going.

That said, it may suggest a lack of commitment to the firm etc. and be looked down on by some supervisors. As I said, I would really just tackle this when you get there!

Random question, but in interviews that aren’t virtual, is going in for a handshake the done thing still? Is it an elbow to elbow greeting these days? Should I wait just to see what interview goes for? Not sure what’s normal anymore....

Hi @lila122,

This is a great question and is something that I can imagine a lot of people on the forum are also wondering this. I will tag @Jaysen, @James Carrabino and @AvniD as I am interested to hear their thoughts.

I would wait and follow your interviewer's lead. In my experience, people who do not want to shake hands will hold their hands behind their back. I would imagine if they are interviewing for a scheme or TC they have developed a strategy for dealing with this and they will know too that candidates may be uncertain of the 'right' thing to do.

Alternatively, if you are uncomfortable with that idea, you could just ask them whether giving them a handshake would be appropriate. In my experience, most people are happy to handshake, but you cannot go wrong with explicitly asking. It might feel strange or awkward, but we are living in strange times! Remember that you will not be the only one to consider this being an issue.

Hope that helps :)

Reactions: fm97 and Hele25

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Travers haven't yet opened summer scheme applications. Can someone who applied to the 2021 WVS please post the exact wording of the questions here. Would really appreciate it!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @fm97, congratulations! I cannot comment specifically on the TS WVS interview. However, my advice would be use the search bar on the forum (as I am sure that there have been others who have interviewed and shared their experiences on here in the past).

As with any commercial law interview, know everything you mention in your CV and CL back to front. Have a few commercial/news stories that you are able to discuss (ideally ones that you have been following before). Nail the "Why you?", "Why commercial law?" etc. questions. Finally, be able to justify why TS over another firm (e.g., another silver circle, like HSF or even a firm that pursues an international strategy like TS, perhaps like Macfarlanes or Slaughters).

On my final point, try not to speak about pro bono. Or at least, try not lead with pro bono for justifying why this firm. This can be a really fantastic aspect of a firm's work, but all of them have a pro bono strategy (and this is not what lies at the heart of what the firm does).

Very best of luck! Really looking forward to hearing how it goes :)

Hi @zlegal,

I know that @Jessica Booker replied to this, but ultimately this is your call. I would still definitely apply. Apart from anything you do not know what might happen with regards to covid and it is possible (albeit unlikely) that in-person events will not be happening next summer.

That being said, this something that you can tackle closer to the time. In my opinion, when it comes to it, if you were to get the scheme (which I really hope that you would!), I would advise that you be open about it with your supervisor, as well as GR, and see what they say. To some extent, it will depend on what your relationship with your supervisor is like. However, based on my experience, I can imagine that as long as I was able to make up the work at the weekend (and maybe not even that), they probably would have been ok with me going.

That said, it may suggest a lack of commitment to the firm etc. and be looked down on by some supervisors. As I said, I would really just tackle this when you get there!

Hi @lila122,

This is a great question and is something that I can imagine a lot of people on the forum are also wondering this. I will tag @Jaysen, @James Carrabino and @AvniD as I am interested to hear their thoughts.

I would wait and follow your interviewer's lead. In my experience, people who do not want to shake hands will hold their hands behind their back. I would imagine if they are interviewing for a scheme or TC they have developed a strategy for dealing with this and they will know too that candidates may be uncertain of the 'right' thing to do.

Alternatively, if you are uncomfortable with that idea, you could just ask them whether giving them a handshake would be appropriate. In my experience, most people are happy to handshake, but you cannot go wrong with explicitly asking. It might feel strange or awkward, but we are living in strange times! Remember that you will not be the only one to consider this being an issue.

Hope that helps :)

Completely agree with George here, I would either ask if they are comfortable with a handshake upfront or I would wait for the interviewer to take the lead. In this situation, I think asking first would help to avoid any uncertainty.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Travers haven't yet opened summer scheme applications. Can someone who applied to the 2021 WVS please post the exact wording of the questions here. Would really appreciate it!
    Travers is a cover letter (no word limit) addressed to Germaine VanGeyzel, + additional free-text for 'details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests' & 'details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, University or elsewhere'

Reactions: Dwight
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.