TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow-demon

Star Member
May 9, 2021
Have my HSF AC this Tuesday and I think the thing I’m most nervous about is knowing your probably going to say something incorrect/be challenged by the interviewer.
Anyone have any tips on how to respond if you don’t know have the specific legal knowledge they’re questioning you on? Is there a good way to ask them to explain further before taking a stab at answering?
Don't mention legal concepts or buzzwords you do not feel comfortable explaining. From my personal experience, if you mention a specific legal principle or a buzzword then you could very likely be asked to explain it/provide a definition.

If you are unsure or unclear about what they are asking you, you could ask them to phrase it another way. I would then attempt to give an answer. If you are incorrect or not on the right track, they will try to guide you towards the right answer. This is from personal experience at assessment centres and at HSF specifically.

They are not trying to catch you out, they just want to see how your mind works and how well you deal with challenging situations.

If you are challenged/pressed, it is important to remain calm and not show your nerves. Thinking out loud while trying to come to a solution is a good idea instead of shutting down and getting flustered.

I had an assessment centre at HSF for a VS and was successful. There were times I did not understand some of the words/concepts the partners were using and they were more than happy to explain further until I got it.

Just approach each station as if you were having a normal conversation. That helped calm my nerves before AC's in the past. Come in with confidence from the beginning. Even if one station did not go so well, it is important to remain calm, confident and level-headed.

HSF are genuinely a really nice and friendly firm. All the best.

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: GXA123 and IzzyAn_na

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Hi all, I have been working on my NRF Spring VS for quite some time now and was wondering whether it would be more worth it applying for the winter one instead? Does it make a difference when you apply at the beginning of the application cycle (for winter) or does 2 weeks to deadline (for Spring) still give me a good chance? Thanks!
The winter one has passed however I applied to both last year and I got through to the spring vs. Idk if I was allowed but I did it anyway and I got through

Cantab_95

Legendary Member
Sep 19, 2019
Hmm am trying to remain positive but it does feel like grad rec seem to contact the people they are keen on sooner rather than later. That might not be the case at all and I don’t want to be unduly sceptical, just have a bit of a sinking feeling.

Reactions: ellwilsen

enjcorps

Nov 3, 2021
For anyone that still hasn't heard back from Links, they're still assessing applications. They just got back to me about updating my application to include my LLM results that I got confirmed last week. Fingers crossed I guess!
Thanks for this! I was really getting quite worried, thinking damn just reject me already. Every time I get an email notification I damn near have a heart attack.

Reactions: Rob93 and ellwilsen
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.