TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2020
If I havent heard back from HSF two days post AC should I assume rejection? I know every one says they get back the next day but I haven't heard anything and when I asked during the AC they said they would let us know ASAP so unsure whether to email to ask an update?

SCN

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 20, 2020
Hi everyone!

Hope you are all well.

I am currently looking at the second question on the Allen and Overy application form for the Summer Vacation Scheme. The first question is:

'Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities'. (250 words).

The first question seems straightforward.

However, I am unsure how to interpret the second following question: ‘Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful'.

This is probably an obvious question, but I somewhat feel I am repeating a lot of what I have said in the first.

Many thanks for your help

Hi, I'm also working on the A&O app too! I guess for the first question, you would say "I did [X experience] and learnt [Y skill]" but for the second question, you'd say "I would then use [Y skill] as a trainee when doing [Z trainee tasks] or [Y skill] is vital as a trainee because of [123 reasons]"... I wouldn't take my word for it though and if anyone approached it different please let me know since I'm also curious how you would answer the question :)

Also, for the first question, how have you structured it? Does it make more sense to talk about three different experiences and cram in as many skills learnt as possible or just focus on three main skills and use the STAR technique?

• Love
Reactions: AvniD, iamJW and GXA123

MN

Standard Member
Nov 10, 2021
Hi, I'm also working on the A&O app too! I guess for the first question, you would say "I did [X experience] and learnt [Y skill]" but for the second question, you'd say "I would then use [Y skill] as a trainee when doing [Z trainee tasks] or [Y skill] is vital as a trainee because of [123 reasons]"... I wouldn't take my word for it though and if anyone approached it different please let me know since I'm also curious how you would answer the question :)

Also, for the first question, how have you structured it? Does it make more sense to talk about three different experiences and cram in as many skills learnt as possible or just focus on three main skills and use the STAR technique?
Thank you for your reply! I have discussed 4 skills, with evidence, which may be too much looking back on it now. I didn’t use the STAR technique completely as I didn’t think there was enough words!

GOI983

Esteemed Member
Sep 15, 2021
If I havent heard back from HSF two days post AC should I assume rejection? I know every one says they get back the next day but I haven't heard anything and when I asked during the AC they said they would let us know ASAP so unsure whether to email to ask an update?
I applied for the spring VS with HSF and just completed the test. How long does it take for them to let you know whether you met the bench mark? I am super worried that I went over time by 1-2 mins. However, my report looks positive and I think I did well on the verbal reasoning, not sure on the SJT though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.