TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2020
Someone I know hadn't heard back from HSF for two weeks since their AC. They emailed grad rec on Friday and got a call around an hour later and was successful! Me on the other hand found out I was unsuccessful a few days after the AC! So I wouldn't assume rejection - maybe email grad rec :)
Heya this is going to sound weird but did you hear in the day / evening? I don't know whether to let my nerves have a rest for today :/

miniboucher

Standard Member
Nov 15, 2021
Does anyone know how to word a thank you email to a law firm after an interview? I'm emailing the graduate recruitment team with my reference details (they haven't asked but i didn't have them at time of application) but since this will be first communication since my interview, I think I should probs start of by saying thanks for your time. I don't want to screw this email up as this may influence their decision

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Guys for the DLA Piper application question is it okay to talk about a merger or acquisition that has been done or should I talk about a merger or acquisition which is going to be finalised soon.

Reactions: GOI983

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do law firms tend to send rejections after interviews if they’re certain they don’t want you, or do they just focus on sending out offers to those they do want and then deal with/ send rejections after all those they want are spoken to?
    They will typically reject those who didn’t meet the criteria outright. They may hold some candidates on “hold” who met their criteria but weren’t the strongest candidates, while they wait for the strongest candidates to accept/decline offers.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If you're applying to a VS or TC, should you list a Vacation Scheme as 'work experience' that you have not done yet but will have done by the time of the scheme you are appling to? Obviously you won't have any details you can talk about in the free text space
    You can do, but I’d personally save this for another section, like “any additional information”, a “why law” question or something like a cover letter.

Reactions: jv1999

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If rejected outright, does that usually mean within a day or so?
    Not necessarily unfortunately - other work can mean it’s not a priority. They also don’t like to reject immediately because you can get a lot of strong reactions from people when doing so. I’d say between 3-7 days after interview is more likely.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.