TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm2020

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 2, 2021
Hey guys, I was recently rejected from A&O post AC and have been rejected from one other firm at AC (albeit a firm not near the stature of A&O). I was wondering how many AC's some of the future trainees had before they were successful? I am a little worried, as I seem to struggle with them. In addition, due to personal circumstances, I have only made three applications so far this cycle (one of them A&O) and whilst I'm hoping to get another two away this month, it starting to seem unlikely I will get something this cycle.
Hey, I completely get how you’re feeling! It’s really hard to think positively when you get bad news but you have to keep going. For some context, I did one unsuccessful vac scheme AC, one successful vac scheme AC (but no TC offer), one unsuccessful direct TC AC and finally one successful direct TC AC which I have accepted!

Reactions: djqb and Hele25

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Hi everyone, I am applying to CRS and one of the questions asks 'which achievement are you most proud of and why?'. My proudest achievement is leaving an abusive relationship and bringing up my son as a very young single parent. Is this appropriate or should I got for something employment related/academic instead?

This is my first cycle and not exactly sure what firms are looking for.

Thanks!
I think this is a great example and you definitely don't have to have something academic as long as it is genuinely your proudest achievement. Be sure to demonstrate how it helped you develop resilience, resourcefulness, determination etc whatever skills and attributes that you think are appropriate! It is good to have personal examples and give them an idea as to what motivates you, being a solicitor will only be part of who you are after all!

xtinew

Distinguished Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    PFO from CMS.

Taking it as a sign that I need to practice Watson Glaser tests a bit more. I've scored highly on them in the past but need to improve consistency. Anyone have any recommended methods?

I was exactly like this last year. My inconsistency has since improved because I did so many practice tests and read so many guides. I would definitely search the web for some "cheat sheets" (or make one yourself!) that digests each WG section like a rulebook. It helped me understand the difference between deductions and interpretations and whether an inference is "true" or "probably true". Best of luck you'll improve in no time :D

Reactions: Hele25 and OB

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    I was exactly like this last year. My inconsistency has since improved because I did so many practice tests and read so many guides. I would definitely search the web for some "cheat sheets" (or make one yourself!) that digests each WG section like a rulebook. It helped me understand the difference between deductions and interpretations and whether an inference is "true" or "probably true". Best of luck you'll improve in no time :D
    Yeah, practice makes perfect. From a few practice tests, it's the "recognizing assumptions" part that I tend to score lowest on, so time to get to work.

I actually thought I was rather strong on WGs, so in a weird way I'm kind of glad to now know it's a weakness I can address. I am now wondering how many PFOs I got as a result of the WG rather than the application now, though...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If asked why you were unsuccessful in converting your vac scheme to a TC, what should the response? Ofc don't want to expose my flaws 🙃
    It’s more about showing development in those areas or explaining why the firm you are applying to might not worry so much about that particular aspect (eg if you have been told you didn’t show enough interest in their practice areas, and the firm you are applying to has different ones). It sounds brutal, but the flaw has already been exposed (that’s why they ask the question) - they just want to see how you move on from it.

Reactions: LEL
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.