TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I agree with all said above- Weil does take a lot of pride in its pro bono work so I think it is a good one to mention as a supplementary point but not a main one. I also think talking about in a way that links to specifically why it interests you will probably be more impactful than just talking about the fact that it is fee earning work!
    Thank you very much for this really appreciate it a lot.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I agree with the above, and would just add that to the extent that you *do* talk about pro bono, frame it with some specificity - ex. 'I like [X] initiative and the opportunity to make [Y] impact because of [Z] reason.' I would also be careful about the framing of any mention of pro bono counting towards targets - it is ultimately something the lawyers do on top of their fee-earning work.
    Thank you for this it is really helpful.

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    There is a question I am writing about explaining something difficult to somebody so that they understand, I was going to give an example of me explaining maths concepts to some children I teach, so essentially what are classed as easy concepts to me and difficult to them. Do you think this counts as explaining something difficult?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys, how long are peoples STAR competency answers in general? Want to keep mine concise but heard some people get feedback that they didn’t go into enough detail? Help would be really appreciated.
    Typically I’d say they are usually around 2 minutes

Rachael.Elisa

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 15, 2021
    Hi everyone, I am applying to CRS and one of the questions asks 'which achievement are you most proud of and why?'. My proudest achievement is leaving an abusive relationship and bringing up my son as a very young single parent. Is this appropriate or should I got for something employment related/academic instead?

This is my first cycle and not exactly sure what firms are looking for.

Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.