TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I was exactly like this last year. My inconsistency has since improved because I did so many practice tests and read so many guides. I would definitely search the web for some "cheat sheets" (or make one yourself!) that digests each WG section like a rulebook. It helped me understand the difference between deductions and interpretations and whether an inference is "true" or "probably true". Best of luck you'll improve in no time :D
    @PirateShip - I second this entirely too! Also when doing practice tests like on the Clifford Chance website etc where it gives you your score breakdown for each section and you can target your weaker sections. Making my own cheat sheet and teaching myself what to look for/how to look at the questions in each section really helped me

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Did you guys read the Linkedin Post published by the CC GRM? It scares me that it takes less than a minute to bin a vs/tc app!

This explains why it is so easy to make such a quick decision on many applications though:

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    This explains why it is so easy to make such a quick decision on many applications though:

I am reading it now..you know that I respect this person..but I am worried

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am reading it now..you know that I respect this person..but I am worried
    The thing to remember is that this is not about EVERY application. It’s about the majority.

For every good application received that takes 10 minutes to read, you’ll probably get 10-15 that you can decide on very quickly.

We sometimes forget in this forum (because everyone is so focused/bought in to getting a TC) that not everyone is like our community, and in reality our community is a minority in the applicant pool. There will be thousands of people submitting applications with little to no interest in law, but going for it because someone told them it was a good career to go into or because the money is good. There will be people applying who do it half heartedly just because they are caught up in all the noise of their fellow students applying, and they are told it is something they should do, rather than analyse whether it is something they want to do. It is the applications from those people that can be decided fairly quickly.

Back in my time, I could easily get rid of about 5% of applicants just because they had copied and pasted their answers and hadn’t changed the firm’s name!!

You ultimately bin applications quickly so you have time and energy to focus on the good applications.

Rachael.Elisa

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 15, 2021
    I think this is a great example and you definitely don't have to have something academic as long as it is genuinely your proudest achievement. Be sure to demonstrate how it helped you develop resilience, resourcefulness, determination etc whatever skills and attributes that you think are appropriate! It is good to have personal examples and give them an idea as to what motivates you, being a solicitor will only be part of who you are after all!
    Thank you so much for your reply, it's really helpful :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, I am applying to CRS and one of the questions asks 'which achievement are you most proud of and why?'. My proudest achievement is leaving an abusive relationship and bringing up my son as a very young single parent. Is this appropriate or should I got for something employment related/academic instead?

This is my first cycle and not exactly sure what firms are looking for.

Thanks!
    It is something to use - I just advise on focusing on your efforts rather than the circumstances themselves. Yes, you’ll need to provide some context to the situation but try to keep this to the point so you can spend more of the word count explaining what you did rather than what you experienced.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hey guys,

I am applying to Mayer Brown "Please use this section to tell us about any academic or non-academic achievements and interests not covered elsewhere in this application"

Should I use the STAR method? @Jessica Booker could I please have your opinion on this?

Thank you in advance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys,

I am applying to Mayer Brown "Please use this section to tell us about any academic or non-academic achievements and interests not covered elsewhere in this application"

Should I use the STAR method? @Jessica Booker could I please have your opinion on this?

Thank you in advance
    I don’t think STAR is needed for this, as it isn’t a competency question. I would just focus on your responsibilities and impact/outcomes.

Reactions: AvniD and S87
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.